• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Rugby Thread- Merged Over The Years

How are you online guys watching RWC? I see TSN has the television rights and I may be able to cobble something together through my Dad's satellite provider...but otherwise, any of you guys have some hints? I'd be fully willing to shell out for a tournament package, I did in 2003 when you had to get Setanta.

Scott said:
How are you online guys watching RWC? I see TSN has the television rights and I may be able to cobble something together through my Dad's satellite provider...but otherwise, any of you guys have some hints? I'd be fully willing to shell out for a tournament package, I did in 2003 when you had to get Setanta.

I generally use my android box and KODI to get access to the games that usually aren't on NA television. It is like using a stream online so the quality can suck at times. 

Thanks dude, much appreciated. I will look into another box for the house.

MJP said:
Another uninspiring match from the Canadians vs Fiji.  Horrible tackling set the stage for the performance but weak passing and running played a large part.  Man the way we are play Romania is going to blow us out.

I think that it is getting in their heads. They fought hard and one against the Glasgow Warriors last weekend, and I think that they let it go to their heads. The win against Georgia was definetly a weak win. If the game had gone on 10 more minutes, I think it would have been a loss. Today's loss was likely, since it was Fiji, but it should have been closer. The tackles, bad passes and missed kicks were a result of lack focus and a being sloppy, not lack of skill. There's some real talent on the Canadian Team, but they are going to have to fight for every meter in a few weeks.

armourmike said:
I think that it is getting in their heads. They fought hard and one against the Glasgow Warriors last weekend, and I think that they let it go to their heads. The win against Georgia was definetly a weak win. If the game had gone on 10 more minutes, I think it would have been a loss. Today's loss was likely, since it was Fiji, but it should have been closer. The tackles, bad passes and missed kicks were a result of lack focus and a being sloppy, not lack of skill. There's some real talent on the Canadian Team, but they are going to have to fight for every meter in a few weeks.

The set piece remains a key concern for our team.  If you don't hold on to the ball, you can't win the game.  Our inability to win scrums and our own lineout ball is costing us games. 

That being said I didn't read too much in to the Fiji match, we didn't put our best team on the field and Fiji is one of the Top 10 ranked teams in the world.  The only reason they aren't higher ranked is ebcause they don't play Tier 1 Countries that often and they have difficulty getting their best players together other than for World Cups.

I am looking forward to watching them play England today and I hope they catch the English napping.  Their group is the most interesting in the whole tournament with Australia, Wales, England and Fiji all in contention for the two QF spots.

As for Canada, I am praying the boys show up to play against Ireland tomorrow.  We need to be enterprising and keep possession otherwise we are going to get spanked badly.  We've got dangerous backs but I remain unconvinced our forward pack is up to the challenge.

RoyalDrew said:
The set piece remains a key concern for our team.  If you don't hold on to the ball, you can't win the game.  Our inability to win scrums and our own lineout ball is costing us games. 

That being said I didn't read too much in to the Fiji match, we didn't put our best team on the field and Fiji is one of the Top 10 ranked teams in the world.  The only reason they aren't higher ranked is ebcause they don't play Tier 1 Countries that often and they have difficulty getting their best players together other than for World Cups.

I am looking forward to watching them play England today and I hope they catch the English napping.  Their group is the most interesting in the whole tournament with Australia, Wales, England and Fiji all in contention for the two QF spots.

As for Canada, I am praying the boys show up to play against Ireland tomorrow.  We need to be enterprising and keep possession otherwise we are going to get spanked badly.  We've got dangerous backs but I remain unconvinced our forward pack is up to the challenge.

It will be interesting.  RC has selected a small pack, comparatively.  I think they are hoping for mobility around the pitch and a low scrum.  I think it will back fire though.  Canada is in a tough pool as every team in it has and can beat Canada, to say the least.

I am watching to see what the Irish can do. I think they will want to trounce Canada and run up the score as far as possible.  I think Ireland have the best chance of any northern hemisphere side to win the whole thing.

The USA have the easiest of the pools by far, in my opinion, and finishing second in that pool is a real possibility.  Japan, Scotland and Samoa are all in their range.

Halifax Tar said:
It will be interesting.  RC has selected a small pack, comparatively.  I think they are hoping for mobility around the pitch and a low scrum.  I think it will back fire though.  Canada is in a tough pool as every team in it has and can beat Canada, to say the least.

I am watching to see what the Irish can do. I think they will want to trounce Canada and run up the score as far as possible.  I think Ireland have the best chance of any northern hemisphere side to win the whole thing.

The USA have the easiest of the pools by far, in my opinion, and finishing second in that pool is a real possibility.  Japan, Scotland and Samoa are all in their range.

I agree completely and I believe the US is going to shock some teams.  In our pool, I believe Italy might shock Ireland or France, they are one of those teams that you never know if they will show up or not.

Another team I am looking forward to watching is Georgia.  They have a dominant forward pack and I think they will shock a few teams.  The games against Tonga and Argentina should be interesting!

I thought the Canadian scrum looked ok against Ireland.  That is more than i can say about our scrum in recent years.  Lineout still needs work. 

Nathan Hirayama is a great fly half.  I don't believe we are well served by Gord McRory, however technically competent he might be.  Phil Mack is the man who gives our back line room because he keeps defenders back and honest with his sniping. 

Our wings are definitely world class.....they just need the platform to deliver that attack.  The platform from the breakdown is the problem. 

Our scrum isn't the problem, our accuracy at the breakdown is the problem in my opinion.

I was at the game on Saturday (Canada vs Ireland) and althougth disappointing, it wasn't a surprising loss.  I thought Canada's scrum was actually pretty weak.  Although they won most of their own ball, they were constantly being pushed back.  Even if you win the ball in a scrum, if you're getting pushed back, it's hard to capitalize on it.

Best play of the game was when our guy blocked and caught an Ireland kick and ran it all the way for our only try.  Canada's Man of the Match and Ireland's Dick of the Day all in one play!

Coolest part of the day was when I ran into a guy from my Ottawa club in the line for beer.

Cardiff was a @$#%& zoo!  There was a thousand people on the platform for a train that showed up with three cars.  Funny thing - RWC has been advertising a lot recently encouraging folks to plan ahead and take the train to matches, which they did!  Too bad the railway didn't seem to do the same.  Seriously debating whether to return for NZ vs Georgia...

https://deadspin.com/rugby-man-slaps-dislocated-knee-back-into-place-immedi-1835922894

Fishbone Jones said:
https://deadspin.com/rugby-man-slaps-dislocated-knee-back-into-place-immedi-1835922894

That.  Is.  Awesome. 

One of my proudest rugby moments is when I was hit so hard I had 3 cracked ribs and a collapsed lung....at 51 years old....and still played for another few minutes.

PPCLI Guy said:
That.  Is.  Awesome. 

One of my proudest rugby moments is when I was hit so hard I had 3 cracked ribs and a collapsed lung....at 51 years old....and still played for another few minutes.

Broke my hand in the 60th minute of a game two years ago in what would be my last rugby game I have played in. 

We had used up all our substitutions already so I had the hand taped and played the rest of the game.  I had no use of it but they moved me from Inside Centre to the Wing so I would have to make less tackles.  Ended up making a game saving tackle on the final play whereby I used my broken hand to prevent the ball from being grounded.

We won and my spouse promptly drove me to the hospital to have my hand x-rayed and splinted, scolding me the entire way.  That was the last season I played.  Might play again when I'm old enough for Old Boys in two years.

Played for a team in Zurich, had a friendly in France. Effin’  dude from the French team bit me. He received a punch in the face causing a wild melee. Ah rugby, élégant violence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RomeoJuliet said:
Played for a team in Zurich, had a friendly in France. Effin’  dude from the French team bit me. He received a punch in the face causing a wild melee. Ah rugby, élégant violence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmao!  That's French Rugby for you, notorious for all out brawls.  It's the latin way as Argentina, Romania and Italy are much the same.

French Rugby also loves enforcers.  One of Canada's most famous players was a big time enforcer for Clermont in France.  His name was Jamie Cudmore, also known as "Cuddles"  :rofl:

rugby-union-european-rugby-champions-cup-pool-one-munster-v-asm-clermont-auvergne-thomond-park-6-390x285.jpg

Independent review paints damning, dysfunctional picture of Rugby Canada

An independent review into Rugby Canada's high-performance programs paints a damning picture of a dysfunctional organization at odds with its athletes, staff and supporters.

Independent review paints damning, dysfunctional picture of Rugby Canada

An independent review into Rugby Canada's high-performance programs paints a damning picture of a dysfunctional organization at odds with its athletes, staff and supporters.

LOL they didn't need to do an independent review, I could have told them that for free 🤣

Back