• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Rugby Thread- Merged Over The Years

Pieman

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Ouch!

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/16449119?source=PA
===============================================
Rugby fan cut off his own testicles

8 February 2005
A Welsh rugby fan cut off his own testicles after his team beat England, police confirmed today.

The man was rushed to hospital after the incident at Leigh Social Club in Caerphilly, South Wales.

A Gwent Police spokeswoman said: "We received a call from the ambulance service at approximately 9pm on the 5th to inform us of a situation at the Leigh Social Club in which a man had indeed severed his own testicles."

She said the man was taken to Heath Hospital but could not confirm his condition.

It was reported that the man told his friends: "If Wales win I'll cut my own balls off."

After the 11-9 victory in the Six Nations clash, the man is reported to have gone outside and severed his testicles before bringing them back into the club to show fellow drinkers.

A local was reported as saying that the man was on medication and should not have been drinking.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19806157/

Australian suffered severe headaches but didn't know what problem was

BRISBANE, Australia - Rugby player Ben Czislowski kept competing for more than three months despite the headaches that started after a clash with an opponent.

Czislowski was playing for Brisbane team Wynnum during the April 1 incident involving Tweed Heads forward Matt Austin. He had a head wound stitched up afterward, the Australian Associated Press reported Tuesday. Czislowski later suffered an eye infection and complained of lethargy and shooting pains in his head.
Then last week, his doctor found a tooth imbedded in Czislowski’s head.

“I can laugh about it now, but the doctor told me it could have been serious, with teeth carrying germs,” Czislowski said. “I’ve got the tooth at home, sitting on the bedside table,” he said. “If he (Austin) wants it back he can have it. I’m keeping it at the moment as proof that it actually happened.”

Serves those bloody Rugby League players right!  ... we Union types aren't always aiming for the high tackle.  ;)

(I saw the video on Sportsworld - the guy made no attempt to go low, came steaming in at pace and they smashed heads.  But it seemed the would-be tackler was the one who was knocked out, broke his jaw, lost teeth - apparently ;) )

It's getting closer!

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/

I'm posting this here in hopes some other rugby fans will have a read and help me with the dilemma I am currently facing:

I can't find who might be televising the matches! IIRC, in '03 it was The Score, but searches of their site have come up empty for me. I've tried TSN and Sportsnet as well and still nothing. In fact, there is not much available on the internet at all about it...

This leads my girlfriend, who is a Brit and a much bigger Rugby fan than I and also very well in the know about this, to believe that it may all be pay per view over the internet.

Any help is appreciated and chatter about Team Canada welcomed! We're currently rated 13th.

2003 wasn't televised either so I wouldn't expect coverage other then internet feed (or a pub)

I just hope Canada survives,  they are in a tough group (Wales, Australia, Japan, Fiji); No easy games there

I watched matches from 2003 on The Score or Sportsnet, I am sure of it. Either way, it wasn't PPV or internet feed, it was through my satellite provider...Not saying that it wasn't just delayed feed.

Could be right, I just remember not being able to find the games on TV unlike '99 which seemed to be a bigger deal.
So do you think Canada has a chance? I remember when Canada (in rugby terms only) was at least a 2nd rank team (1st rate forwards, but the backs well let's not talk about that)
Now, I'm not that optimistic.
It would be nice to see a team outside of the eight (Five nations + NZ, SA, Aus) making the 1/4 finals but I don't see it happening.

The whole '03 tournament was televised on Fox Sports Canada and Sportsnet.  Fox stopped carrying ANY kind of rugby last year, either due to piss poor interest over here, or the IRB looking for outrageous broadcast fees.  Professionalism was the death knell for international footy.... greedy bastards all.... :mad:

Thanks Kat, guess it's the broadband service with their 24 hour delay.

The Canucks played the All Blacks a few weeks back and gave them a really good scare.

Hear me out!!!!!

Of course Canada doesn't have a chance against a powerhouse like NZ, but they held them to very few points in the first half (Can't recall the number) and even had the Kwi commentators singing their praises as a team. Second half started same as the first but Canada seemed to run out of gas. Either way the Kiwi coaching staff looked pretty pissed.

Endurance has always been Canada's problem.  They usually are strong contenders from 2/3 to 3/4 of the game, but run out of steam after that.  Too bad really, because they're quite good for a country that doesn't "get it" yet, and the limited talent pool.
Go here for a good write up on the game:  http://planetrugby.com/Story/0,18259,3886_2415311,00.html  .  To be fair, it was a pretty sad showing by the ABs.

I'm both saddened and angered at the lack of RWC 07 coverage.  I think it's all because Setanta have the rights and we can't get Setanta here ... bars can, but not yet regular satellite owners.  So I'm hoping my local (provided I'm working in Toronto this fall) will have live games because I won't have the patience to avoid checking scores.  I stayed up for all the 'must see' overnight games in 03.

Regarding Canada ... first off, I don't think endurance is our major problem given that's the easiest thing for all of them to work on individually.  During the match v the All Blacks, the fact that they were playing defence (more taxing, imo) for most of the game is what drained them more than normal.

Secondly, I follow rugby religously and would say we're a second-rate pack and second/third rate backs on the world stage.  Look at a Samoa, who are second rate in both and would surely give Canada a beating.  It's a bit like hockey, innit, where the top six-eight teams are far and above those just below them.  That said, we should give Japan a hiding and have a good chance at beating Fiji.  Canada's first half defence really impressed me vs. the All Blacks, and in the second half, I can blame four tries on two players who will not be in the starting lineup for a big game (one's not even in the squad anymore!).  My big beef with them is lack of skill and attacking prowess in the backs ... they are better than before, and I like that players with more finesse like Smith and Spicer have been chosen over 'bashers' like we've always relied on. 

But therein lies a fundamental problem with Canadian rugby - we just don't produce enough skilled players.  I've been coaching at the junior club and university level for nine years now and while I do my part, I'm mostly getting upper teenagers who've barely touched a ball compared to the kids I coached in England who played organised rugby from the age of 8-10.  Minis is key to our future, and we should be aiming to be like Argentina with their massive pack, but also brave and sleek backs, but Rugby Canada need to shift focus a bit and stop pouring money and resources into men whose likelihood of acquiring that much more necessary skill is unlikely.

They need to promote minis rugby and provide schools with development packages and officers to get more kids playing the game, earlier.  Also, it'd be nice to have more 'elite' competitions for youth.  I have selected for Ontario on three occasions, and I now can't stand the politics where tryouts are more about politics (invite everyone, but pick the kids everyone already knows or from the 'right' schools) and make a wad of cash (admittedly they need it) by holding several open trials.  When I lived in Bristol, England, my boys didn't have to pay to try out for a rep team and they had several opportunities to play at different levels - we had one for England U15, several in three different county teams, and several more in the city-wide 'Schools' rep team.  They had it set up, I was led to believe, so the kids who played County rugby couldn't play for the Schools rep team, giving more people more opportunity to play elite rugby.

Anyway, that's my rugby rant.  Go the RWC '07 and let's hope it's, yet again, another wonderful showcase!

Absolutely agreed on all points.  I boiled it down to "limited talent pool" because, well, lots of words scare me.  As for the TV coverage, both Fox and Sportsnet got an earful from me on the topic on more than one occasion.  Also didn't get ONE six nations match in the past 5 years...wankers.

Can we go further than the talent pool though?

My girlfriend's father, a former Prop for the London Wasps from 70 to 76 and a women's national team coach, was amazed to find out just how little the Canadian team gets to work out together. He also mentioned the fact that this country is fricking huge, another logistical problem that most other countries do not face. Come on, it has to weigh heavy when you have players coming from Cornerbrook, Montreal, Toronto, Saskatoon and Vancouver...

The plain and simple fact is that Canada does not have the talent, true, but could it be better developed given more of a chance?

WRT the TV coverage...I am hoping to be able to watch the games in the comfort of my own home but am skeptical given the late date...

And another thing about Rugby marketing: My girl's Dad is mightily pissed at the fact that he can only buy package deals to games. He is not one bit happy that he has to take in some "lesser" games to "make up" part of his deal. It seems that it's one of the only ways to go for this RWC.

And how about the luck on Wales? Playing the Aussies in what will be their biggest game of the WC in Cardiff! What I wouldn't give to be in the sea of red for that one. Bet they hear it in Marseilles.

Millennium is a beautiful facility, no question.  But nothing makes the hairs on your neck stand up like 50 000 odd ( the odder the better) Welshmen belting out "Land of Our Fathers" at the old Cardiff Arms Park...  Magical

My girl is standing by Kat and says that she viewed the final match in Cardiff Arms park. She says it was awesome but not as good as seeing the winning goal from behind the post in 2003!

She and have a great time talking about the differences between rugby in England vs Canada and the same convo about hockey in the two nations. What would our chances be if we had Major Junior, Junior A, B, C and University level leagues? Maybe 'chances" is a bad way to put it...What would the chances be of us producing legitimate talent?

How many fellow Canucks have made a trip overseas or down under to play in their pro leagues? Seems like a reverse NHL thing could be possible, no?

If it seems like I am Johnny new guy here it's because I am. I only started watching Rugby during the 03 WC and found it fascinating and fell in love. Since then I have been digesting as much as I can on the subject and it really helps having the new lady who eats, sleeps and breathes rugby.

Well, guess we're frigged for live viewing and it will be pretty hard to stay away from the score sheets during that time.

How many fellow Canucks have made a trip overseas or down under to play in their pro leagues? Seems like a reverse NHL thing could be possible, no?

There are quite a few pros in the current squad - maybe more than ever - but the bulk of them tend to be forwards.  Quite a few are in 'second division' teams, so not sure how big their contracts are.  Some clubs in England Nat One have full pros, while others have part timers.

RWC 07 Squad who are pro:

Mike Burak - Pau, FR Div 2 (lock)
Jamie Cudmore - Clermon Auvergne, FR (flanker)
Ed Fairhurst - Cornish Pirates, ENG Div 1 (ie. second div, possibly semi-pro?) (scrum half / full back, 29 so pushing it)
Mike James - Stade Francais, FR (lock - just retired from pro rugby)
Stan McKeen - Cornish Pirates, ENG (flanker)
Justin Mensah-Coker - Albi, FR (wing)
Ander Monro - Waterloo, ENG Div 1? (fly half)
James Pritchard - Coventry, ENG Div 1 (wing)
Mike Pyke - Montauban, FR (full back)
Ryan Smith - Montaban, FR (fly half, centre)
Sean Michael-Stephen - Bezier, FR Div 2 (no. 8)
Luke Tait - Overmarch Parma, IT (lock)
Kevin Tkachuk - Glasgow, SCO (prop, now 31 ... can't be long left)
Morgan Williams - Albi, FR (scrum half, now 31 - see above)
Colin Yukes - Agen, FR Div 2 (lock/flank)

I think the potential is there to have more Canucks over in those leagues ... Smith even played New Zealand provincial (higher quality than English Prem, some would argue) with Southland ... but it's pretty obvious they aren't the most skilled, and those with the best chance are the big bruisers.  (In the backs, Mensah-Coker is something like 6'3", 240lbs wing! ... and Pyke is about 6'5", slightly less heavy.)

I think if we can focus on skill development through better coaching and more focus on proper Touch rugby (which is huge in Australia and NZ, and shows) at increasingly younger age, we can hope to become like Argentina who have practically a full squad of pros and some who are considered among the best in the world at their positions - like Pichot, Hernandez, Contepomi and the front row, not to mention the Fernandez Lobbe brothers and Leguzimon who are increibly skilled forwards.  They all come from 'amateur' roots (and I shouldn't forget, a few of Italy's top players, like Sergio Parisse) back home, but if you see even their A team or sevens team play, you can see a fine mixture of aggressiveness and flair.

Stickied until after World Cup...

...because I can ;)

Ha, ha . . . attaboy!

Has anyone seen the shocking new kits that'll see their debut at the RWC?  ... sigh, I can see the benefit of tight jerseys and the disappearance of cotton, but some of them look ridiculous - like soccer jerseys!  :(

245_0_1179225729.jpg

New-Jersey-ALL-3.jpg

Shane Horgan reminds me of a Star Wars stormtrooper.  :)

next RWC they'll be wearing a spandex unitard.  Bring back the old London Bell Tent and Awning Co. cotton jerseys....only weighed about 35 lbs after a good day out in the rain at the Gobbler.

Back