• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Rugby Thread- Merged Over The Years

So what channel did you finally get it on Kat?

Setanta freebie on expressview.  I think I may be persuaded to part with the $15 a month to keep it.  The kids are gonna hate it.... >:D

Thanks Kat. They'll understand when they're older...

I think we're still stuck with broadband and I am just trying to get some clarification from Setanta via e-mail about what the broadband package includes. If it's live games and delayed then I am all for it, anything else and it seems a waste for me to only be able to see games as they happen, there is invariably going to be some crossover, games I want to see on at the same time. Hopefully they get back to me with a god answer.

What is this "broadband" you speak of?  Doesn't everyones connection take 12 hours to download a 4 minute video?  I figure for the money, and the Prem just starting up, I'll get my moneys worth.  There are a few channels I'd be more than willing to dump to make up the cash.

http://na.setanta.tv/na_index.htm

Streaming television. My tech guru (the girlfriend) informs me that there should be only a one to two minute delay in broadcast. Right into computer, from computer via S Video to TV, plug in stereo sound jack, crack Heineken, eat hot dog, watch rugby.

And no doubt, if they're going to show what you want to see then it's worth the cake, we have to pay 150 bucks and subscribe for a year, but it ain't so bad, we'll get to see the Heineken Cup, etc as well. Cable service providers here are not carrying Setanta YET and it's not worth it to switch to sattelite.

I watched the Super 14 last year via Mediazone, who I think can only get games on 24hr delay, but I can at least say broadband is worth it if you actually have 'broadband.'  ;)  I was working/living at a boarding school, and am not sure of my connection, but it was bloody fast.  Each match was between 650-750megs, and took 15 mins to download.  That was an hour or two after the completion of the live match - which you could also watch on streaming, but with the time zones, that didn't happen much with me.  I also think you can call it up anywhere so long as you have your password.  Yeah ... we went on tour and I managed to watch an important Blues game in the hotel! 

The other bonus was that you could watch the matches at anytime in the season.  I think the S14 is 96 games and I ended up using some for training purposes with the boys I coached.  I could go back a few weeks and pull up a particularly useful game and put it on the smartboard in class for all to see.  I'm not sure if it lasted the year if you signed up for that long, but I could definitely do that for the length of the tournament.  It also kept me in shape, so to speak, as I'd set up my laptop beside the exercise book and ride for a 'half' at least.  :)

Mediazone listed the 'minimum requirements' and Setanta must do the same.  I'd have a look at those if you're considering just to be sure, as you don't want to pay for something you can't watch.

Watched England cave to France...again.  Bookies were giving 25-1 on England winning the cup before this, no idea now.  An okay first half, but okay isn't good enough.  Disconcerting watching the French forwards pushing the English pack off the ball.  Silly handling errors, and unnecessary infringements.  Lots of work left to do before September.  On the plus side. I'm LOVING this Setanta freebie!!

Same here!  :)

England were woeful on Saturday.  As a coach, I'm really shocked by their back play as it seemed they were trying to run around the French rather than run angles straight at them and into gaps.  Though he's getting on a bit, Jason Robinson is the only player who should be trying to jink through a gap or take someone on the outside (oh, and Sackey).  The rest:  Cueto, Lewsey, Hipkiss, Noon, Farrell ... even Wilko tried this when he should be passing the ball out ... last time 'round, with Greenwood and Tindall, they were brilliant at running lines that would commit defenders, open space for others, and occasionally break through.  With the 'bashers' Ashton has chosen (i.e. can't see Tait getting much time, Strettle out, no Flood, Allen, Abendanon, Simpson-Daniel or Cipriani), they really should focus on hard running lines to use what those players have - size and power. 

Fuck it, ordering Bell as we speak. I am notr going to arse around with broadband...plus I hear of the freeview and have to take advantage, and when I looked at the cost comparison it was worth it.

http://130.94.23.190/SSCDN_live_schedule.htm

This appears to be the best schedule, with the only mistake I've found so far being that Eng v Fra Saturday at 2:30 was not the live, but the previous week's match (this weekend's being shown on Sunday, as advertised).

The on-screen tv guide, at least on Starchoice, isn't even close to being correct.

Canada's top prop, Kevin Tkachuk breaks his fibula vs. Newfoundland and is out of the RWC.    :(

Hello,
You recently emailed our network with questions regarding our coverage of the Rugby World Cup. Details have now been finalized. We will be airing all four of Canada's opening round matches during that event. The schedule will be as follows:

Sun Sept. 9th Wales v. Canada
live at 8 am (ET)/6 am (MT)/5 am (PT) across all four Sportsnet channels

Sun Sept. 16th Fiji v. Canada
live 9 am (ET)/7 am (MT)/6 am (PT) across all four Sportsnet channels

Tue. Sept. 25 Canada v. Japan
live 12 pm (ET)/10 am (MT)/9 am (PT) across all four Sportsnet channels

Sat. Sept. 29 Australia v. Canada
live at 9 am (ET)/7 am (MT)/6 am (PT) across two of the four Sportsnet channels for digital customers. If you only have one Sportsnet channel, your only option will be to see it on tape delay at 4 pm (ET)/2 pm (MT)/1 pm (PT) later that same day.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.
Sincerely
Jim LaChapelle
Audience Relations
1-877-288-7767

Score!!!

Wow, France lost, and they still have Ireland to go in the group stage.

Go the Wallabies tonight!!!
Im so pumped, its gonna be awesome

France played utter shite today, esp. 1st half. Tons of errors that Argies capitalized on for points. Plus Argies had very impressive defence.

Couple of other games on Setanta Sports which is free until Sept 10.

My cable provider finally offered up Setanta so I have the RWC when I return home. I'll have to settle for the Canada game on Sportsnet Sunday AM until my return.

Well, it was a good effort, for about 45-50 minutes.  Canada had Wales by the wrinklies, and let them go.  Canada is just not a second-half team;  missed tackles, handling errors, and an unwillingness to spin the ball out to the backs instead of trying to go up the gut EVERY SINGLE TIME they were deep and threatening. The late surge was nice to see, as they are normally looking to the shower room around minute 65. Lack of imagination seemed to be a major theme also.  Wales also were not very confident in the first period, and had better get a grip before they meet Australia next weekend.

I think this is Canada's time to say, "wake up" to the world. We are not a contender but we can definitely play the role of spoiler on almost anyone except for maybe the top five teams.

I think Canada's going to gain alot of respect this time 'round.

I don't follow rugby too closely but certainly much improved team from few years ago.

Kat, it helped Wales that they were able to bring the likes of Jones, Charvis, and Thomas on ... if only we were so deep!  That was the key, I think, for Wales as the starting group was well and truly rattled.

I think Canada gave as best as they could, but maybe need to work on being mentally strong for 80 mins.  I imagine that's our biggest issue, given the structure is sound.  Was the same vs. New Zealand, as I imagine some players couldn't believe they were doing so well up to that stage and just got a bit complacent.  One biggie is that many of these boys will be around for 2011.  I'm sure Ric has the people (and his own talents from what I hear from a friend who was with the women's program under him!) to build from this and make them even better as these youngsters get their feet wet on this, the biggest of stages.  

... and we don't spin it because Wales would have murdered us more out there.  Canada have some of the most intense forwards out there, and you have to play to your strengths.  I do agree, however, that 10 pick and goes around the fringes in a row is a bit much.  If we're going to play 10-man rugby, I'd like to see more variety - crashes off 9 and 10 rather than just pick and drive.  What'd help is if we had a 'Gareth' who can provide the quality kicking game a forwards-dominated team needs. 

As a coach who (I think) knows his stuff, I am immensely impressed with their defensive structure.  They are shutting the ball down well as it comes out of the ruck/maul/set piece.  The problem with this (even easier to see in teams who play Rush def.) is that when your defence plays at such a tempo, as the game progresses, and minds get tired along with the body, one person not doing his job perfectly opens massive holes for the attacking team.  Was the same story v New Zealand. 

Best of luck in the next round ... esp. to my adopted 'brothers' in Samoa and Argentina!   8)

No question that the Welsh bench is much deeper than Canada's, and therein lies one of our major problems, finding 22 guys to dress that you would feel confident in allowing on the paddock.  Wales were quite rudderless til the substitutions, then found their groove pretty quickly.  I agree about the mental facet of the game being their weakest link, it seems like the focus tends to drift.  Agreed also on the forwards being the dominant part of our game, but there are other forward tactics beside crash ball that could have been employed.  All this sounds very negative, but I was overall pretty impressed with the defensive aspect of Canada's game, and the early energy was very encouraging to see.

On the up side, it looks like there may be a few upsets this year, as Namibia scared the bejayzus out of the Irish today, Portugal put up a much better fight than expected, and the Americans (ptooie!) gave England a bloody nose.  In fact, all the Home Nations played like shite.

Back