• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

Originally posted by DAD:
[qb] As far as basic trg is concerned you can also complete it in the summer F/T (Full time) approx 6 wks.
Cheers! [/qb]
*shakes head* just to clarify, reserve BMQ over the summer takes 4 weeks, and SQ takes 4 weeks. They‘re usually done back to back, for a grand total of 8 weeks.

Originally posted by Freight_Train:
[qb] Anyone know what, if anything is being offered this year in BC? [/qb]
There‘s a BMQ and SQ course being run in July and Augest at ASU Chilliwack.

they‘ve cut down the sq/biq over the summer for lfca because they want as many troops as possible attending stalwart guardian.
they did this last year, as I‘m sure they will plan on doing the same again this year. I know the biq is now down to three weeks around here.
yes reserve units can do their own recruiting, I was one of the members in my unit that was doing it earlier this year.
I‘ve seen the local recruiting unit at one place in my town, and that‘s the unemployment center, every other week during the school day. personally I don‘t think that‘s going to work that all well.
Greg

i have a question, i am 15 but i am goin to be 16 in sept an i want to join the army this summer and i wanted to know if i am able to be enlisted .

You have to be atleast 16, be a canadian citizen and have atleast grade 10 completed, aswell as pass all the tests and interview.

Hi there
Thinking of joining the reserve part time.I have a few questions though.Right now i have a full time job,and was wondering if its possible to get the the basic training and so on done part time?Right now i go to college for AST(automotive service tech) and was thinking that once i get my licence i will apply to regular force but for now i wanna try out the reserves part time of course..was thinking on going for vehicle tech..What do you guy recommend i do??for now i dont wanna be sent to borden to learn mechanics, cause im takin the course now at college and i cant afford to miss work for weeks..you know what i mean.. any help would be appreciated..I really wanna do this, part time until i get my full license...

A trip to the closest recruiting center is what you need.

I think you‘ll probably find the reserves are the best way to go if you have other commitments such as college. Basic (BMQ) in the army reserve is done part time, normally on the weekends during the summer at a local armoury.

Chances are you wouldn‘t be sent to Borden for trade until after your BMQ and SQ, and by then (I assume) your AST course would be completed and then I am not sure how your credentials would help you when it comes to your trade in the army.

First stop is the recruiting center for you though, they‘re the only people whose word you should take as the truth when it comes to what to do about your situation.

If you choose to become a vehicle tech you will be required to go to Borden for 3‘s and 5‘s. There‘s no way around it even for licensed mechanics. You must be trained on military pattern vehicles.

brin11, perhaps you can explain what 3‘s and 5‘s are to fenix who is a civilian and has probably no clue what you are talking about right now.

Brin,
There is a way for equivalencies to be given for the civilian license. At then end of it, there is the potential for a much shorter course for that person. As well, CFSEME (vehicle tech school) is looking at modularizing the training for the reserve vehicle tech.

ok thanks guys, few more questions, on this aptitude test, what do i expect? i mean ive never done one in my life and awful with numbers,,and fitness testing, right now i work out 5 days a week, and 4 of the days i hit cardio for 45 minutes, id like to start to train for this, any suggestions?i mean on a treadmill i can 1.5mile in about 12mins

umm..the aptitude test isnt TOO hard, jsut think about your questions and try and anwser them correctly.Theres a math part, spatial part, and verbal part...some is tough but its not too abd..im in grade 11 and dont really get wwonderful grades and i passed it...so you should be ok..your physical is easy as pie..the aptitde is ok too..some words are pretty hard..and some of the math is pretty hard but dont worry about it.

The QL3 and QL5 courses are trades qualifications courses. The QL3 is the first course where you learn the basics of everything involved in your trade. You usually then go back to your unit and continue working with them or tasked out somewhere else to complete OJT (On the job training) where you show you are proficient in your trade and can be trusted to work without much or any supervision. You then return to your trades school for your QL5 course where you will rehash your 3‘s and do more in depth training depending on your trade. You would be expected to know what you are doing on your QL5. If you pass you are then considered a technician who can work without supervision and can supervise others.

I hadn‘t known about any modularization taking place in Borden for veh. techs. Does this consist of going to Borden for these modules or doing them at your unit? I realize there is some equivalency for veh. techs but I know there is some necessity for training on military pattern vehicles and, as far as I know, this is still only done in Borden. Can someone clarify this?

The information on modularization was presented at the EME Association Conference in Oct 03. My understanding is that the modules will still be done at CFSEME, but they are looking at computer assisted, long distance learning.

About the equivalencies, you are right, you still have to do some training on the military vehicles and that is still done at Borden.

Hello, im new to the forum. Im with the 142 Highlander cadet corp in St. Andrews College Ont. I am currently 14 going on 15 really soon. I have already started to plan ahead. I would like the join the reserves once im old enough. Given my prior experiences at Air Cadets for 2 years then my first year as an army cadet now. My CO is supporting me that i am joining the reserves. We are affilited with the 48th highlanders. I live in Toronto so the units open to me are Queens Own Rifles, 48th highlanders, 7th Toronto, and the Horse Gaurd. Ive been thinking and i think i wanna enlist under the ranks of infantry. Since my corp is closed and it is mandatory that all must take it at my boarding school not many people like it. I have surpassed most of the senior cadets here and i believe i have a good shot at the Parachutist course offered. My question is would i be able to serve in the airbourne company in QOR if i had prior training? What are your thoughts? What do you think i should join when the time comes.

Thanks

Well I just finished applying to the 7th, and I have also looked into the other units as well. Most of them are very good, and joining the reserves would be a great step, if you intend on finishing off your (sorta) high school and continue on in university.

Have you picked where you want to go for university yet? Do you think you will stay in Toronto area?

BTW how is SAC, I have not been there in years, have they let any girls in yet?

SAC is good, we have laptops now cant really depend on them though they fail once in awhile and i guess its sokay for going on msn during class. Girls yes theyre always on campus =D. Did you go there? I havent decided where i want to go for university im thinking RMC at the moment but that might change. Did you go to school there?

I believe the QOR has three separate companies. Gurkha company(I believe they are in charge of establishing trg standards and running courses plus admin), 60th Coy, plus the Airborne Coy.

I think you have to do BMQ, SQ, BIQ, try to get a jump course over the trg cycle(and these seem to be offered to the QOR due to their tasking) and then I assume you still have to apply or meet some standard to be accepted into the Airborne Coy.

I think the Abn Coy jumps every month and they seem to jump once during the Milcon in the summer.

Pretty bloody cool if you ask me.

Anyone else here have info on QOR? Any experience? Level of trg of the Abn Coy?

Ted

well through cadets one can get their jump wings a lot easier some people are telling me to do it but i might have to wait till im 17 and in the cadets to do it but i want to join right away

Back