• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Poppy Selling Superthread- Merged

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
From here

When the gunman lunged for the cash, Dietsch grabbed his arm, pushing away the gun. They struggled and Dietsch fell to the floor. The startled attacker, who looked to be in his 20s, ran to the door empty-handed.

He's still got punch!  :salute:

(EDIT: Mods, I apologise for starting that thread on this.  I felt that the incident was unique enough to be on its own, apart from this thread.  I wasn't going for MPs.  Honest!  :nod:

interesting side point as shopping had been brought up prior.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/091112/canada/canada_ottawa_asian_market

Ottawa does make sure stores adhere to closing on Remembrance Day.

CountDC said:
interesting side point as shopping had been brought up prior.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/091112/canada/canada_ottawa_asian_market

Ottawa does make sure stores adhere to closing on Remembrance Day.

And on that note:

Food store apologizes for Remembrance Day opening

T&T Supermarket, which was among some 40 businesses fined for opening before noon on Remembrance Day , says it will donate all profits it made on the morning of Nov. 11 to the Royal Canadian Legion's Poppy Fund.

More on link

I wonder if any of the other 39 businesses fined will make the same offer?

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/canada/2009/11/12/11728736.html
This story made me smile today as I read it on the bus to Uplands to work. I guess some vets are still not scared of a weapon and remember the past when they  were super heros and younger men. These gentleman still have the right stuff and I think that is great, Well done gentleman,  as for the other guy, I hope you are deeply ashamed of yourself and  so is your mom.

"Poppy profits pinched: A man was caught on video swiping a poppy donation box from a west-end Tim Hortons before walking off with his coffee and the cash on Remembrance Day. ":
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/11/14/11743156-sun.html

"Tax on poppies pure poppycock":
http://www.torontosun.com/comment/editorial/2009/11/16/11757691-sun.html

As a registered charity, the Legion already recoups 50% of the GST it pays through GST rebates.  But of course, the Sun never lets the facts get i nthe way of a good story.

I realize this is an old thread but, I would like to point out that the Legion is not a registered charity - it is a not for profit organization (big difference). It does not receive GST rebates. The Poppy Fund is not a registered charity either (hence no receipts for tax purposes) but a fund, held in trust, to help veterans and their dependants in need. All money donated to the Poppy Fund goes to helping veterans, not your local branch.

Government sources say veterans' groups will receive a full tax refund for paying the HST on poppies for their annual Remembrance Day fundraising campaign.

Sources tell The Canadian Press that Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty will make the announcement Thursday when he visits a legion hall.

The Ontario government vowed earlier today that it would refund the provincial portion of the harmonized sales tax on poppies after the New Democrats raised the issue in the legislature.

The poppies are bought in Ontario by the Royal Canadian Legion and distributed to commands in other provinces ....
More from the Canadian Press here.

The way I read that, it's the tax when the legion buys them from the manufacturer... not the tax on the individual sale...

[Edit: As there is no tax on the individual donation]

a Sig Op said:
The way I read that, it's the tax when the legion buys them from the manufacturer... not the tax on the individual sale...

No one "Sells" Poppies. They are distributed to thosae who want one and you are free to make a donation if you so choose.

Danjanou said:
No one "Sells" Poppies. They are distributed to thosae who want one and you are free to make a donation if you so choose.

Unless somone has bred a plastic poppy plant growing plastic poppies, then the legion quite clearly gets them from somewhere.... buying them in bulk, from a manufacturer who is "selling" them.

That's what I was referring to.

Presumably, the province is referring to the HST portion from the bulk sale by the manufacturer.

[Edit: Never mind, I understand what you were referring to now, I fixed it]

Four poppy boxes stolen in Belleville

Belleville police are asking for the public's help to track down suspects wanted for stealing four poppy boxes from two separate Tim Horton's restaurants.

Police were notified of the thefts on Monday. Two poppy boxes were stolen from a Tim Horton's at Bridge Street West and Sidney Street. Two others were stolen from a Tim Horton's restaurant on Dundas Street West.

Police say the thefts occurred over the past few weeks. An estimated $600 in donations was stolen.

A member of the veterans' association says while there have been thefts before; they've never occurred this early in the poppy campaign.

Last year, several poppy boxes were stolen from various locations across the capital. One of those incidents was caught on a surveillance camera at a Tim Horton's restaurant in the city's west end.

Article

Absolutely shameful. How low do you have to be to steal a poppy box? Do these people not realize where the proceeds go?

remember if you "detain" one of these creeps, don't beat them. you'll go to jail and he'll be out.

Tomorrow I'm going to hunt me down one of the gentlemen and/or ladies giving out poppies in the mall, and hand them a fifty.

HavokFour said:
Tomorrow I'm going to hunt me down one of the gentlemen and/or ladies giving out poppies in the mall, and hand them a fifty.

Here here!  Take some MilPoints on me!

Back