• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Nursing Officer" Merged Thread

• Thread starter IamBloggins
  • Start date
Summers said:
GOT MY ANWSER!!!

I begin my BMOQ on october 24th, 2011 ! :salute:

Congrats Summers,

I assume you will be on the French course in St-Jean ?! If so, I will see you there !

Hey congrats to the both of you!

Though we may not be in the same course, We will be in the same area so we may meet one day in the near future...Are you guys excited?? I am :)

I hope it's a French course, or at least a bilingual!
I'm not too bad in english, but I'm way better in french!
Do you know if it's a french course?  I asked but he never call me back to give me the answer!
I can't wait to be there, I'm afraid to be a little bit old,
But I've trained hard to be able to keep up!

NursyNurse said:
Congrats Summers,

I assume you will be on the French course in St-Jean ?! If so, I will see you there !

Summers, from an old snr nco medic: if you speak english as well as you write-post, you'll have zero problems, Good luck.
!
-gerry

1) Are the chances of getting a NO position higher if you're already an RN?  From reading the posts, the position seems very competitive.

2) I'm hearing mixed messages.  On one hand there is an over supply of nurses in the CF, but they are still hiring.  So, does the CF need nurses or not?  It would be so terrible if you spent your whole entire regular military career never having been deployed once.  :'(  Has this ever happened?

3) How do you advance through the ranks as a NO?  And realistically speaking, can a nurse reach major or beyond?

1) Possibly yes...but speaking to a recruiter would yield a more accurate answer. There are obvious cost savings to the CF if you aren't put through ROTP.
2)Op tempo has been high for NOs just like it has been for most other trades in the past number of years. Many, many NOs have deployed. A recruiter can answer your question regarding the "need" for nurses and the numbers we have vs. the numbers we want. If you join, it would be my (educated) guess that you can expect to deploy provided you stick with it long enough.
3) An RN essentially enters as an Lt and will progress to Capt in a few years. Maj positions are limited but by no means unobtainable. There are two LCol positions for NOs and no Col and above positions. If you desire to progress beyond this point you will have to transfer to another occupation, most likely HSO.
4) The CF no longer has "hospitals" per se but do have clinics, some large some small. The 4 places you are probably thinking of are Edmonton, Ottawa, Halifax and Valcartier. Your postings however can be anywhere.

To qualify for direct entry as a Nursing Officer, you must be a graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program in nursing at an accredited university and be licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in a province or territory of Canada.

curious george said:
1) Are the chances of getting a NO position higher if you're already an RN?  From reading the posts, the position seems very competitive.

2) I'm hearing mixed messages.  On one hand there is an over supply of nurses in the CF, but they are still hiring.  So, does the CF need nurses or not?  It would be so terrible if you spent your whole entire regular military career never having been deployed once.  :'(  Has this ever happened?

3) How do you advance through the ranks as a NO?  And realistically speaking, can a nurse reach major or beyond?

1) There are DEO's who are taken to the Nursing Officer MOSID. It is indeed competitive but if you are an RN and wish to serve you should put your best foot forward and take the leap and apply DEO. 

2) We always need people to replace our real or forecasted attrition from the Nursing Officer ranks. On our last DEO intake we took 15 candidates.  Currently the Nursing Officer MOSID is not in dire straits as it has been in the past but is currently accepting applications. The last time I looked for 2011-12 we are looking for 20 DEO officers and for 2012-13 we are looking for 15.  Once you are at the operationally functional point, it is quite possible to get a deployment as a nursing officer especially if you are keen and volunteer, or have a specialty qualification (Critical Care, Mental Health, or Operating Room). 

3) Captain is the working rank for Nursing Officers with about 160 of them.  There are however 21 Major positions and 3 LCol position as Nursing Officers.  Highly competitive, but if you are more driven and skilled then your peers you can attain the rank of Major.  At Major, Nursing Officers with the requisite leadership and attributes are eligible for selection to the Health Services Operations Officer MOSID.  This is contingent upon and offer being made and the officer accepting the occupational transfer.

4) There are no Base Hospitals proper anymore. We do some inpatient care (Halifax, and I think Valcariter) but it is exceedingly rare. There are Nursing Officers posted coast to coast.

I hope that is of help.  If you have questions contact me and I can get in you in touch with those most current.

MC

curious george said:

Honestly tahts what im doing now.... i want to know as well....

Miss J said:
Honestly tahts what im doing now.... i want to know as well....

Did you even read the post before yours?

Thank you, Medcorps, for your helpful answer. 

1) Please clarify the meaning of "MOSID" and "operationally functional point." 
2) Also, if you are in the regular force I understand that you are paid a monthly salary.  When you deploy they stop your salary? (Reference to "keen and volunteer") I thought you still get paid AND you don't pay tax on that income.
3) Please also clarify, "Captain is the working rank for NOs".  What does that mean?  As a 2nd Lt or Lt you're not working?
4) Where do most wounded soldiers get treatment when they arrive back in Canada if there are no base hospitals?  (Is that related to budget cuts?)  Where do NOs get their first posts after they finish the BMOQ and BNO training?  When you mentioned "coast to coast" did you mean any civilian hospital of my choosing?  How will I attend inservices if I live in another part of the country?

Thank you for taking time to respond to my initial questions.

Curious George... sorry about that.  It is easy to use military speak when you use it all day.

1) MOSID - Military Occupational Specification Identification (I think).  This is the occupation in simple terms.  Each of the countless occupations in the CF has a MOSID.  So 00182 is Pilot and 00195 is Nursing Officer.  Although the numbers are attached to it, in common speak when someone (other than a clerk or an MP) asked for your MOSID they really are looking for your classification name.  This has pretty much replaced the older term of MOC. 

Operationally functional point (OFP) is the point where you are able to be employed within the trade specifications. For Nursing Officers it is the attainment of the Nursing Officer Basic Officer Qualification.  In order to be awarded this qualification you must complete:

1) the Basic Military Officer Qualification,
2) the Basic Nursing Officer Course (BNOC),
3) the Nursing Officer Clinical Phase Training (CPT),
4) the Basic Field Health Services Course (BFHSC),
5) completion of an accredited undergraduate degree program in nursing, and
6) registration with a provincial nursing college (for instance the College of Nurses of Ontario)

At this point you are deemed OFP and ready for full employment within the Nursing Officer MOSID.

2) In the Regular Force you are indeed paid a monthly salary.  When you deploy this salary continues to be paid and you may be given extra allotments and allowances to "compensate" you for the hazard, risk, austerity, etc, etc that you are being exposed to.  If you are in a particularly hazardous and risky place your salary might be also tax free during this period. 

I used the terms keen and volunteer to denote someone who really, really, wants to deploy and identifies this to their supervisor and the professional technical network (in nursing this is your senior nursing officer (or) local practice leader, specialty practice leader, and career manager).  Keen and volunteering is the opposite to lazy and hiding, which sadly also happens sometimes.

3) Working rank denotes the rank where the majority of the MOSID is employed.  In this case the Canadian Forces Health Service has about 30 Lt's at any time and 160 Captains.  Hence, most of the Nursing Officers are working at the rank of Captain. We rarely have 2Lt Nursing Officers in the Regular Force (generally when something has gone wrong or via administrative error) and upon completing BMOQ and your degree you are  promoted to the rank of  Lt. During your period of being an Lt (generally three years) you do the three courses above (BNOC, CPT, BFHSC).  This is the period where you learn the craft of military nursing and leadership.  You are working as a Nursing Officer, but seen as a Junior Nursing Officer by your superiors and subordinates. (do not think however as a Lt NO that you will not be put into crazy situations where you will be expected to rise to the occasions).

4) When you get back to Canada as a wounded soldier you enter the civilian health care system with initial liaison (and payment) to the Canadian Forces Health Service.  Is that related to budget cut... I do not know.  It is the policy of the day. 

After BMOQ they try and get you to a location where you can do CPT.  CPT involves a period of eight to twelve months working in a civilian hospital under mentorship and evaluation.  This is to equalize the university clinical training and experience for all NO's joining and to ensure that they all have been exposed to the required types and volumes of patients (and technical skills).  For this to occur we need a location with an agreement with the civilian hospital and a place that will expose you to the volume and types of patients we want you exposed.  Most NO's as a first posting thus are doing it in a big city with a big civilian hospital network to work in (Ottawa, Halifax, Valcartier, Vancouver, Edmonton).  There are some exceptions to this... but this is the target. In your next posting then you can be off somewhere else such as to a smaller Canadian Forces Health Services Centre (these are pretty much on every base in Canada and are known informally as base medical clinics), the Training Centre in Borden, a field unit (1 Canadian Field Hospital, 1/2/5 Field Ambulance), the air evacuation flight, a junior staff officer job, etc, etc.  You can make a suggestion as to where you will like to go for your first posting for CPT, but in the end the needs of the CF comes first.  This will be a theme throughout your career and you should be prepared for it.

I hope that is of some help.

MC 

MedCorps said:
MOSID - Military Occupational Specification Identification (I think).  This is the occupation in simple terms. 
Yes, but ...

"MOS" is the occupation.  "MOSID" is the numeric code that identifies the occupation.
This pedantic difference only seems to matter when completing forms.  If a form asks for MOS and you enter a number, you have answered wrong.

Of course, I am sure all offenders will still sleep soundly at night (or at the very least this should not be the cause of anyone lying awake).

Medcorps,  you did a splendid job of explaining things in layman's terms.  Thank you.  A few more follow-up questions:

1)  Before I deploy then, I must have achieved all 6 steps to be functionally operational.  The earliest deployment would be in 3 years?
2) During the CPT phase, who is my mentor and evaluator?  Will I be able to work along side an experienced nurse initially?
3) How does a NO become an air evacuation flight nurse? What improves her chances? Does she need to take an ER course?

4) Do you have any stats on NO casualties or deaths from Afghanistan since 2003 (or whenever Canada got involved)?  What about med tech casualties or deaths?

5) Does the "enemy" typically know where the field hospitals and established coalition hospitals are?  If they know, do they try to bomb them to further devastate coalition forces? (Not sure if you can answer this one).

Back