• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Nursing Officer" Merged Thread

• Thread starter IamBloggins
  • Start date
Hi Everyone!

I have spent a lot of hours on this site reading about different topics in the recruiting section and have found a great deal of relevant, useful information. Thank you everybody!

However, there is a limited amount of info available when it comes to specifics about the ROTP - Nursing Officer career path.

I was wondering if there was anybody here, perhaps someone who is now an NO who joined up via ROTP, or a recruiter familiar with this career, who could provide me with some insight into Nursing in the CF. Where are the 4 base hospitals in Canada? Is it common to be deployed once you are an NO? Is there an opportunity for specializing in the CF? What sort of work environment should I expect in the CF?

Today I wrote my aptitude test and had a target interview. My file is on hold until December, at which time I am to come back for a full interview, then book a medical. If my application is accepted I was informed to be prepared for BMOQ next summer :-D

I may not be able to get through because of bad choices I made in my teen years. The target interviewer did not allude to this, yet I am well enough aware anyways. Those thoughtless choices resulted in my not achieving what I am capable of academically in high school. I am currently in a full time college Pre-Health sciences program that will prepare me for Nursing at a civvie uni. next fall. I understand there is quite a bit of competition to get into the ROTP program as an NO, and my question is this: given that I will have high marks this year in college, and will be getting an acceptance letter into nursing for next fall, should I still expect to get denied because of my immoral history?

I have wanted to join the military for a few years now, but havent gotten serious about starting the process and making final, permanent changes to my lifestyle until just a few months ago. I fully understand and agree that another applicant with the same academic average as I have but with no history of substance use is considered a more qualified candidate. I'm just curious to know if I should expect to re-apply to the ROTP plan after my first year of uni., or if I must wait 6 years and join via DEO. Whatever the outcome, I will do everything in my power to achieve this goal (of becoming an NO) and am prepared to prove to the CF that I am now a responsible, mature applicant.

Thank you for your consideration!

As an aside, I have searched and searched for the site guidelines and could not find them!! Could somebody please direct me to where I can find them. This is my first post and I hope I have not violated them. If so, I apologize.

A friend of mine is a Nurseing Officer in the CF. She has done 2 tours to Afganistan. I also know that they serve with the US forces. I had a chat with a American Navy Nurse who served on USNS Comfort, the US Navy's hospital ship, and he said there were several Canadian Nurses on there and they impressed him with their level of knowledge and compassion. I don't think sayong they are less competent that thier civvy counterparts is fair or correct. However I will agree they are paid less that in a civvy hospital.

Oh wow! I'd love to go overseas. That must have been one heck of an experience! I didn't know that, that CF nurses work with Americans on their own ships. Does that also go the other way around? As in, do American personnel work and live on our ships, bases, etc? It must be due to staffing shortage, or maybe it has something to do with coalition forces? From what I've read they get paid less, yet there are more accomodations made for CF nurses and their families as opposed to civvie nurses.

On that note, if I want to start a family during my contract with the CF (the 64 months long one that is paying back the CF for my school years through the ROTP), am I allowed to? Is there a way to have a child and perhaps have daycare during the days that I work that is provided by or funded by the CF? I havent actually looked up the maternity leave policy but I was wondering if there was a different procedure for somebody who joined via ROTP.

FloNightingale said:
On that note, if I want to start a family during my contract with the CF (the 64 months long one that is paying back the CF for my school years through the ROTP), am I allowed to? Is there a way to have a child and perhaps have daycare during the days that I work that is provided by or funded by the CF? I havent actually looked up the maternity leave policy but I was wondering if there was a different procedure for somebody who joined via ROTP.

Ummmm yes, you can have children. It would be absolutely draconian if the Forces forced their members to have abortions.

If you do decide to take Maternity Leave, you will incur some obligatory service that will be tacked on to the amount of obligatory service that you incur as part of ROTP. And of course, any time spent on Maternity leave does not count as time served towards your obligatory service.

No, daycare is not funded or provided by the Canadian Armed Forces. Your childcare costs are your own responsibility. As well, it is up to you to arrange for child care plans in the event that you are sent on operations.

This question is for my Girlfriend;

Can you choose Navy, Army, Air Force as a Nursing Officer or does it apply to all?

I am in the application process to become a Nav Comm and hoping to be posted to CFB Esquimalt. What are the chances of her being posted to or around CFB Esquimalt? I am not sure of military has their own hospitals? I am guessing ships have Nurses on board while at sea? And yes, we are common law.

Thanks

Nursing is considered a "purple" trade meaning an army nurse can just as easily be posted to a naval base as an army one. That being said, the CF has a specific number of positions for Nursing officers in each of the elements and if one is full you may have to go in another. (I asked for air and was offered sea).

It is possible for you to be posted together however it is not a hard and fast rule. Expect to spend time apart and to even be posted apart on occasion.

The military does not have their own hospitals anymore. We have clinics and some small day surgery ORs. Nurses practice in these clinics and spend some time in civilian hospitals to keep up their currencies. Other times we work in administrative positions.

Nurses do not go on ships. Drs, MedTechs and PAs do.

You may want to double check the no Nurses on ships thing.  I sailed on the Tanker a few years ago and we had 2 also I have talked with several CF nurses that did tours with the US Navy on board the  USN Comfort and USN Mercy.

The CF now a days does try very hard to post Spouses together. Girfriends maybe a bit less. However, Esquimalt does have a hospital/clinic. And as far as uniform is concerned she will have to see what's available when she comes in. She can choose and it is possible to change elements once your in. Possible but not gauranteed.

RubberTree said:
The military does not have their own hospitals anymore. We have clinics and some small day surgery ORs. Nurses practice in these clinics and spend some time in civilian hospitals to keep up their currencies. Other times we work in administrative positions.

Nurses do not go on ships. Drs, MedTechs and PAs do.

The military does not have any big hospitals, but still employees nurses in a hospital role in several locations. Unfortunately, a nurse in the CF is an officer, so there are taskings in which a nursing officer are employed that do not involve any patient care. Specifically for you, there are military medical facilities in Esquimalt, Vancouver, and Halifax where many nurses are employed.

My advice to your spouse is; if she enjoys nursing, tell her to join the medical reserves. That way she can still be tasked for overseas job, and still work full time in nursing, and avoid the admin roles most military nurses dislike.

Also, roles for nurses on CF ships is extremely limited, but there are always exchanges with the USN and Royal Navy.

I'm seriously considering applying for DEO as a nurse in the Canadian Army. I'm in my last two months of preceptorship and currently enrolled in Ryerson University, Toronto. Hopefully taking the CRNE on June. Are there any signing bonus for nurses in the CF? This will help me pay my OSAP loan if ever. Any other benefits of joining the CF? I am not really after the bonuses, I really want to be an officer. But I guess it wouldnt hurt if I get help paying my loans. Thanks for the kind reply. I may have missed a lot of threads, I apologize!

Hi Simian,

Thanks for the reply!Now I know!Yeah hopefully I will graduate as BScn this year and be an RN on June.I'm still considering CF after graduation though!

Actually, just for the record, that list is somewhat outdated. The most recent list is outlined in CANFORGEN 120/09. Still no allowance for Nursing Officers unfortunately.

RECRUITMENT ALLOWANCES FOR UNDERSTRENGTH MILITARY OCCUPATIONS
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CANFORGEN 146/08 CMP 059 061550Z AUG 08
B. CDS LETTER DATED XX JUNE 09
C. CBI 205.525

EFFECTIVE 1 JUL 09, THE LIST OF OCCUPATIONS ELIGIBLE FOR A RECRUITMENT ALLOWANCE (REF A) IS RESCINDED AND REPLACED BY THE FOLLOWING UNDERSTRENGTH MILITARY OCCUPATIONS LIST (REF B):
    A. NE TECH (A) 00116
    B. NE TECH (C) 00117
    C. NE TECH (T) 00118
    D. SIG OP 00329
    E. BE TECH 00155
    F. SONAR OP 00324
    G. VEH TECH 00129
    H. LCIS TECH 00110
    I. AC OP 00337
    J. ATIS TECH 00109
    K. EGS TECH 00303
    L. FLT ENGR 00021
    M. NAV COMM 00299
    N. NW TECH 00017
    O. MED TECH 00334
    P. AMMO TECH 00169
    Q. ARTYMN-FD 00008
    R. MAR ENG MECH 00121
    S. MAR ENG ART 00123
    T. MAR EL 00126
    U. MLAB TECH 00152
    V. E TECH 00125
    W. AVS TECH 00136
    X. EO TECH 00327
    Y. PHARM 00194

THE ALLOWANCE AMOUNTS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTITLEMENT ARE AS SET OUT AT REF C

And yes, I know unfortunately we do a rather poor job of keeping the information that is put on the internet (vice intranet) up to date. Sorry.

Well, the key is to show up physically prepared. This thread has a lot of info about it: http://forums.navy.ca/forums/index.php?board=75.0

As for being mentally prepared... well, you probably know better than me how you are able to deal with stress. And if not... you'll pick it up quick enough.

I hate to bring back an old thread, but i figured after searching and finding it this is much better than starting a new one.  I am a current nursing student and am very interested in the CF as an option. I have been looking through the pay scales and i am a little confused. Do nurses fall under the category for regular officers, or the medical-dental category?

thanks for any help!

by the way... because i know somebody is going to ask judging from all other posts related to money. I am not in it just for the money. I could make more starting out on civie street than in the forces. what i am interested in is the opportunity for experiences nursing abroad.

Have a nice day! :)

Nurses are paid as General Service Officers (GSO). Medical-Dental refers to physicians and dentists only.

Hello,

I am an RN student, entering my last 4th year in university. Want to join Canadian Armed Forces after graduation.

Question - do I get a choice to stay and serve in Canada or to go overseas? Or I am basically going to be sent wherever I am needed?

Thank you

Answers to your questions

No, yes. But you will be asked, but they might not listen to the answer.

BTW, not to many positions overseas for nurses, except on operations. You will have a "home unit" somewhere here in Canada.

Sofya C said:
Hello,

I am an RN student, entering my last 4th year in university. Want to join Canadian Armed Forces after graduation.

Question - do I get a choice to stay and serve in Canada or to go overseas? Or I am basically going to be sent wherever I am needed?

Thank you

Hi Sofya,

You will probably be sent where ever needed wether it's for a tour overseas or a post in Canada. It comes with the job.
Yet, the best way to get a clear answer would be to contact a recruiter.

Take care,
Alea

Thanks for replies
I get the idea
So if it's overseas operations, how long can those "trips" be? 

Sofya C said:
Thanks for replies
I get the idea
So if it's overseas operations, how long can those "trips" be?

Usually 6 months but they can vary.  Keep in mind, that doesn't include work up training which you may have to attend at another base, away from home.

Back