• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Military Police [MP] Superthread

ONT said:
Does anyone have a picture of the MP badge? I've looked everywhere for it but can't seem to find a picture anywhere.

front1.jpg

Good day red berets,

A good friend of mine is considering re-enrolling as Reg F 811.  He used to be in the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, VR'ed, and three years later suddenly is considering the MP trade. 

He was not satisfied with what the CFRC was giving him, which wasn't of much use to him (for example the NCdt didn't mention anything about the MPAC at all, and even he knows about it).  He is looking for information on differences vice other police forces, the Academy (such as academic mateiral, use of force), pros/cons, as well as the job itself and where it can take him..

He asked me to get some emails from a friend of mine already in it, but I was wondering if any of you MPs can help me out.  If any of you could PM me an email address and rank, or phone number, because he wants to ask questions to someone who is actually in the trade.  I'm certain he'd appreciate it.

Servitum Nulli Secundus

CorporalMajor said:
Good day red berets,

A good friend of mine is considering re-enrolling as Reg F 811.  He used to be in the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, VR'ed, and three years later suddenly is considering the MP trade. 

He was not satisfied with what the CFRC was giving him, which wasn't of much use to him (for example the NCdt didn't mention anything about the MPAC at all, and even he knows about it).  He is looking for information on differences vice other police forces, the Academy (such as academic mateiral, use of force), pros/cons, as well as the job itself and where it can take him..

He asked me to get some emails from a friend of mine already in it, but I was wondering if any of you MPs can help me out.  If any of you could PM me an email address and rank, or phone number, because he wants to ask questions to someone who is actually in the trade.  I'm certain he'd appreciate it.

Servitum Nulli Secundus

Have him call the guardhouse in Ottawa or whatever is local to him and ask politely to speak with an MP...If they are a good MP and not too busy than they will probably help him out with some info...

You could also PM me his information (phone number/name/email and when I get back to the guardhouse in early September I will get in touch with him....

How hard is it to transition from the Navy to MP's? MP's maybe something I would be interested when I re-enlist.

prairiediver said:
How hard is it to transition from the Navy to MP's? MP's maybe something I would be interested when I re-enlist.

You might want to search the term Occupational Transfer or OT since that is what you'd be doing, transferring from NCI-Op to MP.  Different trades have different requirements that must be met before you can OT.  If I were you, I'd concentrate on the trade you are going to be right now rather than something that might occur in the future.

Also, I'm not understanding what you mean by "when I re-enlist".  You're going on BMQ in Sep, no?  Does this mean you plan on getting out and getting back in?  ???

CorporalMajor said:
(for example the NCdt didn't mention anything about the MPAC at all, and even he knows about it).

The PAT's that are at the CFRC's and at the Front Desk (who are much appreciated, don't get me wrong) shouldn't be answering questions like that because they are not trained in recruiting (i.e. they haven't been on NRC) and they (Usually) haven't been there for a long time.
You should ask your friend to talk to a recruiter who is the SME on MP's... they are usually the Sgt/PO2 who have been there for a while and have experience and they can help as well... that's for the questions on the Re-Enrolling process...

Of course, the content part of the MP job...yeah...ask a red beret.

Hi. I am turning 20 in August, and I will have graduated from Law and Security Administration in April. I am on the Dean's List, done a bit of volunteer work, and own my own business.  I am thinking of applying now, working out (I know I'll be on a list for a while so I may as well put app in and work out now right?), and awaiting call..

Any tips? Any chances I can get in at 20?

Thanks!

Sorry, I also wanted to add I have my CO-OP with the MP's if anyone thinks that may help a bit..

If you have met all the requirements found on the Forces website, then you should be good. Extra volunteer experience can help,  and work experience in that field would also be quite beneficial. Although I'm assuming since you're only twenty you probably don't have any experience in law enforcement. Either way, I wish you luck. May I also mention there is a search feature at the top of the page that is very useful for finding things you are looking for. There are many pages with tips and advice that will be very helpful to your situation.

VancouverIslandHunter said:
If you have met all the requirements found on the Forces website, then you should be good. Extra volunteer experience can help,  and work experience in that field would also be quite beneficial. Although I'm assuming since you're only twenty you probably don't have any experience in law enforcement. Either way, I wish you luck. May I also mention there is a search feature at the top of the page that is very useful for finding things you are looking for. There are many pages with tips and advice that will be very helpful to your situation.

Not trying to bust your balls VIH but do you think there is merit in you being a member of the Canadian Forces before you give advice to someone else joining?
To a trade you're not even applying for?

matt101pwn said:
Hi. I am turning 20 in August, and I will have graduated from Law and Security Administration in April. I am on the Dean's List, done a bit of volunteer work, and own my own business.  I am thinking of applying now, working out (I know I'll be on a list for a while so I may as well put app in and work out now right?), and awaiting call..

Any tips? Any chances I can get in at 20?

Thanks!

Apply and see what happens, it's all you can do. Sounds like you're on the right track, so just keep doing what you're doing.

I signed on the dotted like for Reg Force MP when I was younger than 20, so don't worry about that. It's just a number. Age means squat on the MPAC.

Good luck.

Good Day,

I am a soon to be CT/OT into the MP trade. I don't have an education in Police Foundation, but my degree was recognized to make me eligible for the trade. With this in mind, I was wondering if anyone could suggest some reading material that would help me when I get on my QL3. I was looking at picking up a copy of the Martin's Annual Criminal Code, should I spend my money, or will I be issued one?

Anything else you could suggest to help prepare for my 3's would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for the help, Cheers!

Islandtrooper:

I was a remuster a couple years ago. I went in without any pre-reading. The CFMPA will provide you with all the necessary material. As sad as it may sound, if the course is anything like it was when I was there, you will spend more time holding a rag and can of polish than you will spend holding the criminal code.

Good luck on the course!

Thanks for the quick reply ditchpig. That's kind of discouraging, you'd figure it'd be more of an academic course than a C.O.C.K course. So maybe I should be working on my boots instead of reading lol.

Thanks again.

The QL3 course is nothing like it used to be. There's a high emphasis on academics and while yes there are inspections and the usual military expectations, they are not the focus of the course. Physical fitness is also concentrated on, so it's advisable to start course as fit as you can be. It'll make things a lot easier on you.

You will fail the course if you don't know your academics or can't perform under pressure. You will never fail because you don't pass an inspection. Take that for what it's worth and focus accordingly.

Any suggestions on items to bring to QL3? Joining instructions with kit list doesn't provide much information.

Cheers,

IslandTrooper said:
Any suggestions on items to bring to QL3? Joining instructions with kit list doesn't provide much information.

Cheers,
A sense of humour, suspension of disbelief and a pair of sprinting shoes?  According to some QL3s I've had work for me in the past, a gaming laptop, Rogers rocket stick and a WOW account were de rigueur as well (a few of them level capped multiple characters on their QL3; guess that's cheaper than dropping your paycheque in Bendovers and the Hug and Slug as was de rigueur in my day)  If you own a car and they will authorize it, DRIVE.  Borden sucks without wheels.

Other than that, not sure what you're really asking, got something specific in mind?

IslandTrooper,

You may want to save your $$ and not buy a Criminal Code of Canada right now, as I'm sure they will make one available to you on course.  (And if they wanted you to buy one, and having your own was critical, I'm sure they would have included it in the kit list)

What I would suggest however, if you do not have a background in criminal justice/police foundations, is to familiarize yourself with something called "Queens Printer".

It might take some navigating, but its essentially a free online source of every Act of Parliament (i.e. Criminal Code, Traffic Safety Act, etc etc) - might not be a bad idea just to familiarize yourself with it, so you have a bit of a background knowledge of certain things.

Cheers & Good Luck

IslandTrooper said:
I was looking at picking up a copy of the Martin's Annual Criminal Code, should I spend my money, or will I be issued one?

If it isnt in the kit list and you werent told to- dont worry about it. The entire thing is online- you dont need to memorize it. But knowing HOW to read it and navigate it would make things easier for you.

Im not an MP though- just from a police training stand point.

Back