• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Military Police [MP] Superthread

That's what I figured... I has suspected that police foundations was basically a waste of time, that's why I didn't take it, and Only later realized that for some unknown reason, many careers (including but not limited to; special constable, by-law enforcement, MP) have it listed as a requirement, whereas police forces don't even require it.

Argh, I think I'm going to call the recruiting centre, and get a definite answer as to re-mustering to 811 from 031, and the requisites when doing so.

acouple years ago the diploma was required even when remustering. The reason the diploma is required for special constables and bylaw enforcement is because they dont attend a 6 month legal studies program so the diploma program gives them the grounding they require to operate. That being said the program is a $15000 gimmie that satisfies the 2 years post secondary some forces are big on. Some of the programs are good but unfortunately those mean no more then the bad 2 year programs. Its the same credential.

Screw

I've known people who have occupationally transferred into MP without any police related training.  There was a requirement for them to take one or two credits in university level psych courses before applying, not sure if that is still the case.  Give the recruiting folks a call, my information may not be current.

There is no way 1 year of security guard will bypass the requirement of 2 year law and security or police foundations for MP.  Anybody can spend a year sitting at a desk signing people in or walking around a mall.  L&S gives you psych and soc programs, drug programs, law enforcemet courses, computer courses etc.  I have both a degree and L&S and while I found university much more all rounded, 2 years of what is now police foundations taught me a lot about a career in policing.  Gives you a good heads up on police training as well. 

I'm not stating that my 1 year qualifies me as much as a LASA diploma. What I am saying is that is what I have at this moment, and asking for suggestions.
You combined two seperate parts of my post into one. In the first, I stated my qualifications to this point, and in the second, I asked about the relevance of LASA as a pre-requirement for law enforcement of any type.

Well being a guy with both uni and college if I was talking to someone who did not mind spending 3 or 4 years at uni taking soc or history etc and wanted to be a civilian cop I would say without hesitation GET A DEGREE.  However, Im saying this not because 2 years of police foundations or L&S is bad.  I really enjoyed the course back in the day.  Im saying it because police dept prefer the highest level of education you can get.  So obviously if you call them and say "which is better".  they will say university.  I told this to a friend of mine 12 years ago and he called 3 or 4 and they all said uni but he went to college anyway for 2 years, wound up getting on the rcmp and 10 years later is a Sgt.  If your a person who is not that good doing stuff your not into I would say Police Foundations as its almost all cop releated.  University has nothing to do with police, even if you take crim its got almost nothing to do with police so a gung ho police type might find university too long and too boring which is exactly why my friend ignored me and the police and did a 2 year law enforcement diploma in AB.  Ya gotta do what you think you will do best at.

Screw said:
acouple years ago the diploma was required even when remustering. The reason the diploma is required for special constables and bylaw enforcement is because they dont attend a 6 month legal studies program so the diploma program gives them the grounding they require to operate. That being said the program is a $15000 gimmie that satisfies the 2 years post secondary some forces are big on. Some of the programs are good but unfortunately those mean no more then the bad 2 year programs. Its the same credential.

Screw

Most of the S/Cst services that I know of in Ontario have some sort of training program that one must pass before you can begin employment.  As well PF/LASA for some services is not required, only recommended, with some services accepting a combo of education/work experience in lieu of a full diploma.

Hatchet Man said:
Most of the S/Cst services that I know of in Ontario have some sort of training program that one must pass before you can begin employment.  As well PF/LASA for some services is not required, only recommended, with some services accepting a combo of education/work experience in lieu of a full diploma.

In Alberta special constables with certain functions rreceivea 2 week training course in legal studies. Sask is similar. The diploma is often times required so that when the course comes fast and furious you dont get lost. Its also used to justify that outlandish wages some special constable services are paid. Not that they dont deserve the wage but its not unheard of for them to out-wage a cop by quite a bit. But you are right Hatchetman. I myself have thought about the PF leap several times but I couldnt get past the ccurriculum'sout west.It seems very basic....although I heard there is some "gooders" out east.

Id like to know more about VanGuys background. Life experience is much better then University. A combination of both would be optimum though. of course what do I know LOL the RCMP sent me to the dark side of the moon.  :blotto:

Hi:  My background is HS in Ontario, then 2 year LASA, then 10 years in the reg force MP's, then a combo of trying to finish my BA in Soc and do a 3 year college program in Computer Programming and now Im in vancouver working in IT.  Although after the dot com bubble burst it is only part time IT for the past 3 years and part time bus driver.  Going back in the Mps looks pretty good about now as IT shows no sign of improving any time soon.

As you got out and went into IT, why not look at going Geo Tech now?  The Trade is wide open and looking for experienced members of the CF.  It is also a Trade that many major Police Forces are looking at acquiring. 

Ok I do now.  They train probably in the same building my dad worked in for 37 years.  The Energy Mines and Resources Building down on Booth Street in Ottawa.  He was a cartographer with the fed govt and said the military mappers also worked in the same building as he did.

What I got from a briefing was that they will put you on a one year Crse at Algonquin College and then employ you OJT for another year or so in Ottawa.  They do Geospacial work, with all kinds of imagery, plans, cartography, Sat imagery, UAV feeds, etc.  They also do a lot of computer work to give geospacial presentations of terrain, buildings, and also 3D Fly throughs.  They are becoming a hot commodity both in the Info Fields of the Military and those of the Police Forces.

I went to high school only a few miles away from Algonquin College in Nepean.  My job that I do is Network Admin (pc/server support)  I make sure the servers we have in 3 datacentres work right, fix them if they break.  Just built a dual Xeon dual core server and shipped it to a data centre in the Caribbean where we have 5 server.  Do all the normal crap.  Wi fi work, firewall work, setup new workstations, admin the network for users and mail etc.  It was a great job for the first 2 years of full time but the last 3-4 part time have been a drag seeing the company go from 60 to 30 to 16 to 4 (me as 1 of the 4) and now its back up to 21 but thats still too small to have my services full time.  Plus I miss the bonding and friendships of the military.  It is a very different work from the private sector and in many ways a better world. 

Funny. I was aprehensive about revisiting this thread, since I had precious little experience at the time I wrote my posts. I do not have that much more experience now, but it seems I was not that far of the mark.

As I sit here in KAF, part of the platoon formerly know as the GS platoon, now know as the KAF platoon, I find myself in the exact position I feared a couple of years ago.

Here I am on a tour, which people have quoted me would have been impossible to mount succesively without the reserve augmentees, doing patrols, trying to learn SAMPIS(got my handle today) and generally trying to bring myself to a workable level of knowledge.

I get kicks out of my Mcpl answering that I should be doing normal shift routine when I ask her what I should be doing. *Epiphany* "Oh yeah, you wouldn't know what a normal shift routine is". No, I definatly don't, but I'm learning.

I consider myself very lucky to have good knowledgeable(and enthusiastic) MPs here to draw from. I still think it would have been better if I would have had exposure on this before getting to theater.

Still, the feeling that this is a waste of what I am really good at, is hard to shake off.

One thing is for sure, reservist will never get respect from the regs MPs, not since they have a hard time respecting each other. I might have a lot of "immature" troops in my home platoon, but do I ever miss them. Immaturity is a whole lot easier to manage than big egos.

How do I become a Military police reserve in Ottawa?
whats the training like? how long does it take to finish until im considered a full mp reserve and ready for war?
is training done for months at a time or during weekends?

CFRC Ottawa
66 Slater Street
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0K2

Phone:
613-992-3038

Fax:
613-992-2272

kc

I strongly suggest using a search to answer your questions, as this thread will be locked down shortly.

Back