• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Military Police [MP] Superthread

Not reaching, just curious.........and now confused,
Quote,
In fact, the NCO Leadership of the trade, IMO, is probably the only thing holding it together

does not seem to fit with this one,

there are shifts full of PEP's who are being supervised by inexperienced people and no NCO's are around at O'Dark 30.

...and , if I may, 2 questions.........Whats a PEP? and {QUOTE} But until that time, it is a trust issue with the Shift Commanders that they will do the right thing.{QUOTE}..........and what rank and responsibility level would he/she be?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
there are shifts full of PEP's who are being supervised by inexperienced people and no NCO's are around at O'Dark 30.

...and , if I may, 2 questions.........Whats a PEP? and {QUOTE} But until that time, it is a trust issue with the Shift Commanders that they will do the right thing.{QUOTE}..........and what rank and responsibility level would he/she be?

A "PEP" is someone on their Provisional Employment Period which lasts for about the first year of their first posting after their QL3.   They are supposed to be very strictly supervised by a "coach" who should be a minimum of QL5 qualified and ideally should not be allowed out on their own until they have shown they have the basics.

As stated, in the "old days", a Shift Comd at the majority of the bases was a Sgt with a MCpl 2IC but now you are lucky if you get a MCpl as the IC with a QL5 Cpl as the 2IC.   Many times you are even lucky to have a QL5 Cpl on shift which means if the MCpl is gone for whatever reason you have a QL3 (who may or may not have completed their PEP) as the Shift IC.   This situation should slowly correct itself to some degree as the massive influx of QL3's we have gotten over the past several years make their way through their QL5's but  unfortunately, at least in my opinion, our trade is now set up to potentially produce MCpls in 4 years and Sgts in 7 years.   This is a huge issue as we are essentially putting people into positions which require a substantial amount of "technical" experience without giving them the time to gain that experience.  

As Kurhaus pointed out, there is the MPDO system to backstop in unusual situations but the problem is you have to rely on the Shift Comd calling you to find out about the situation.   All too often the first indication you get that something didn't go right during the night is when you get in in the morning and review the nights entries on SAMPIS because in many situations the Shift IC at the time is either unable, or unwilling, to recognize that the assistance of the MPDO is needed.   As you're well aware, in our line of work this is a disaster waiting to happen because the decisions they make "off the cuff" can have huge repercussions that reverberate far beyond that single incident.

not to detract from the current discussion, but I was on the recruiting site, and they have a new video for the MP trade thier.

To become a Security Officer/MP O; as in an Commissioned Officer commanding MPs, what qualifications beside the initial prerequists for an Officer are needed? I.e. prior military experience, prior NCM MP experience and things of the sort. Also, can you breifly compare in contrast how being a Security Officer/MP O in the PRes is to being one in the Reg Force? How does your job differ in these two different capacities? What does it entail? Thanks in advance,

Smith, S

To become an MPO (Security Officer is no longer used) in the Reg Force, one must possess a degree in a related field, eg. criminal justice, criminology, law, etc.  Entry into the occupation may be made through either DEO, ROTP, Officer Reclassification, CFR or UTPNCM entry programs.  Furthermore, all aspiring MPOs must pass the MPOAC (Selection board) prior to being accepted into the occupation. 

There has been a trend during the past few years to increase MPO intake through in-house programs, however, there are still a number of vacancies open to DEO and ROTP applicants.  However, the total number of yearly MPOs recruited is fairly low in contrast to most trades.  There is only one MPO course each year and the courses average 7-14 candidates.

As to the contrast between PRes and Reg force MPOs, I will leave that to someone else to comment on as I am not familiar with the PRes side of the occupation.

Hatchet Man said:
not to detract from the current discussion, but I was on the recruiting site, and they have a new video for the MP trade their.

Can you post the link to that site?  It may be of interest to some of the people who are interested in employment as an MP or MPO. 

If it is the same video I am thinking of, it is very well made and protrays the modern Military Police (Black patrol dress, Data Terminals in the Patrol Vehicles, etc)  The only thing that was missing was the field operations side of the trade.

Out of curiosity, is it required of MPs, when asked for identification at a VCP during an excercise, to act like a total dick and ask (in as sarcastic a manner as possible) the reservist CPL working the gate whether his "pistol, loaded with live ammunition" is sufficent ID? Also, does driving a MP cruiser absolve the driver of said cruiser from extending the professional courtesy to play along with the excercise scenario for 30 seconds out of their day? Instead of, you know, yelling at a fellow corporal (toon or not) who is following his orders from his chain of command, and demeaning him as well? Is there a teaching period at Borden with the MTP being how it is appropriate to never extend some common fucking courtesy to a fellow NCM, particularly if they are just some loser rental who has the termeity to follow his orders and request a simple ID check at a VCP during a dom op ex?

If anyone out there knows the two fine outstanding examples of non-commisoned professionals who were at the Highbury complex last night, please pass on my thanks for the lesson in how to treat fellow NCMs following orders. And let them know that stupid as I am, I do indeed know they carried pistols loaded with live rounds, and do not need to be threatened or demeaned by being told so.

I'm trying to make sense of your post, Marauder, but it's just not happening for me tonight....I'll take a stab in the dark and guess that you were "disrespected" by some MP's while you were on guard duty?  

I'm sorry to hear if that is the case, no one deserves to be treated like crap, especially you and your co-workers.   Why not take it up with your CO or follow proper procedures when faced with such an incident??

Well, to be less oblique and more straightforward; I wasn't just treated badly or "disrespected", I was practically threatened by one MP in a marked cruiser while I was doing my job on excercise. I passed this incident up the chain of command, but I know jack shit won't come of it. Just passing on an observation of how once again the MPs have resorted to bluster and threat in dealing with a soldier just doing his job in a polite and innocuos manner. There is a reason few people I know like the MP branch.

Marauder said:
Well, to be less oblique and more straightforward; I wasn't just treated badly or "disrespected", I was practically threatened by one MP in a marked cruiser while I was doing my job on excercise. I passed this incident up the chain of command, but I know jack crap won't come of it. Just passing on an observation of how once again the MPs have resorted to bluster and threat in dealing with a soldier just doing his job in a polite and innocuos manner. There is a reason few people I know like the MP branch.

There is a process to properly lay a complaint in this instance Marauder, and if your story is correct you should lay a complaint through the proper channels. Go to the MP guardhouse and ask for a complaint form for the Military Police Complaints Commission, the MPs are obligated to give this form and are obligated to help you fill it out, or if you feel uncomfortable doing this the MP complaints commission has a web site http://www.mpcc-cppm.gc.ca/300/319/a_e.html. The Military Police Complaints Commission is the oversight body for the branch and was created for just these circumstances. All complaints are treated seriously and if this is a breech of professionalism the individuals involved will be dealt with accordingly. Your complaint will not be treated like "jack crap".

Well, first of all, by all means file a complaint. I'm hoping to get into the reserve branch of the MP's, and hopefully one day the regular force MP's. If a member of the Military Police were to treat you like crap, then file a complaint, and hopefully that member will get punished for his actions. I think that it makes the branch look particularly bad, when a member acts like that. I know that I sure as hell would'nt want a member of a civilian force to act like that when dealing with people, and it should'nt happen in the military.

There is also a phone number a 1800 number but i can't find it right now, but when i do i will post it here for ya.

Here is the form that you fill out and fax to the military police complaints commission:

http://www.mpcc-cppm.gc.ca/pdf/251.pdf

Phone numbers are on the bottom of the form.  I encourage you to submit the complaint which can be done directly and not through the chain of command (although let them know you are doing it).

Good luck.

You should have the CFR number of the car and the time of the incedint in order to make it harder to be brushed away.  As they have to DI the car they drive that day.

I hate assholes in uniform no matter the trade everyone gets a little respect.

Just got a briefing about the CFPM Symposium which was held a few weeks ago.  One topic for discussion was name tags for the patrol dress (saw that coming) and another was the red beret for all members regardless of element. 

Oh yes, the red beret issue has risen from the dead, again.  Lets see how far it gets this time.

But it would be nice, at some future point, not to have to answer the question, "Why does he have a black hat and she has a blue hat and yours is red?" 

(This forum has been to quiet for the last three days, time to wake it up) 

It will go far all the elements have approved it from what i was told.  But it has to pass the CF dress committy or something like that and that is were it may get sticky.

Name tags on OPD's don't think that will fly as they would be under the vest anyway so how could you read them?

wanna see a rumour that will get this post humming.

Heard a rumour that a study group is under way that may get us police powers similiar to the RCMP.  Eliminiating special constable status and so.  Only a rumour though but it came from a senior CO.

How's this for a rumour.....
Reg's getting out of the PW handling business and giving it to the toons because that's all we've been trg on for the past 10 yrs where you guys had to focus on Pol Ops.

Bandied about by people I thought would never think that way.... mind you this was before the symposium.

Kurhaus said:
One topic for discussion was name tags for the patrol dress (saw that coming)

In Halifax, the MP's have their last names sewn on the exterior of their body armour...i thought that was common and wouldn't that suffice instead of having a pin? 

guys in edmonton have to share body armour in some cases.  Not enough in the system.  don't think the sewing thing would work out to well. 

Back