• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Manley Report- Ruxted Responds

Below is an OpEd that I got into the "Calgary Herald" today (14 March).  The reality is that Afghanistan can be lost on the battlefields of Kandahar but it can only be won in Kabul.

Beyond the Afghan debate: Need for better leadership

Col. Mike Capstick (Ret.)
For The Calgary Herald

Friday, March 14, 2008

Now that a Parliamentary consensus was reached Thursday on extending the Canadian mission in Afghanistan until 2011, it is time for the government to take the essential steps that will ensure strategic success.

Although there appears to be an international consensus on the need to establish Afghan-International strategic coherence, there does not appear to be any shared view of how to do this. While the recent nomination of the former Norwegian foreign minister Kai Eide as UN special representative offers the promise of coherence, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) remains marginal to the dynamic in Kabul.

Despite Eide's nomination, a few powerful states and some of the most important development agencies continue to weaken the possibility of UN leadership by their insistence on following national and organizational agendas and priorities instead of those laid out in the compact.

Clearly this lack of cohesion is untenable and if UNAMA is to be effective, the appointment of a special envoy must be accompanied by expressions of full political level support and genuine behavioural change "on the ground." Canada can, and must, play a leadership role in making this happen.

It is also evident that Canada's "whole of government" approach has matured greatly in the past two years and that the recent striking of a cabinet committee, supported by a task force located in the PCO, promises to strengthen the cohesion of the Canadian effort. The motion that passed provides for a special parliamentary committee on Afghanistan that will be able to exercise oversight over the mission and ensure ministerial accountability.

These positive steps must now be supported by the development of a comprehensive public strategy that defines Canadian objectives in Afghanistan (the "ends"), the organizations, methods, priorities and benchmarks to accomplish these (the "ways") and committed resources - human and financial (the "means"). This strategy must accord with the compact and serve as the authoritative guidance for Canada's "whole of government" effort. It would permit parliamentarians to monitor progress and, at the same time, fully inform Canadians as to our national objectives in Afghanistan and how the government intends to achieve them.

These steps would mitigate the challenges in Ottawa, but they must be supported by structural changes on the ground. Not only does Canada's Afghan strategy need to be coherent in Ottawa, it must be seamlessly co-ordinated in Kabul and Kandahar.

Despite the strong diplomatic skills of our Foreign Service officers, the leadership and management of a complex, multi-dimensional operation such as the Afghan mission is simply not a core-competency of Canada's ambassadors, nor is it an appropriate role for senior military commanders.

To overcome this, the prime minister should appoint a prominent and experienced Canadian as a special envoy with the authority to act as the head of Canada's "country team" and a specific mandate to ensure that Canada's Afghan strategy is co-ordinated.

This envoy should report to the PM and he or she should be supported by a strategic co-ordination team of approximately four people with experience in Afghanistan, expertise in security, governance and development as well as proven planning and co-ordination skills at the strategic level. The members of this team must not be serving soldiers or public servants to ensure their independence. It would advise the PM's envoy, review all activities to ensure strategic coherence and support his or her efforts to bring cohesion to the Afghan-International effort in Kabul.

Every single Canadian action in support of the Afghanistan compact must be designed to strengthen the legitimacy of the Afghan government. In the simplest terms most Afghans want the same things that Canadians wanted in 1867 -- peace, order and good government. Canada's entire effort must focus on helping them achieve this.

Opponents of the mission often recite the litany of failures and issues as proof that stabilizing Afghanistan and ameliorating its grinding poverty is "mission impossible," and that abandoning the country is the only option. This is simply wrong-headed and would consign Afghans to decades of predation and violence. At the same time, it would be folly to adopt a simplistic "stay the course" approach, which would only result in the repetition of the strategic failures that have had such an adverse impact on the Afghan mission.

Canada must, therefore capitalize on the new political consensus and develop a coherent strategy and provide the kind of political leadership so essential to the future of the Afghan mission.

Mike Capstick is a retired colonel and an associate at the University of Calgary's Centre for Military and Strategic Studies.

He spent 12 months between August 2005-2006 as commander of Canada's Strategic Advisory Team, Afghanistan stationed in Kabul.

© The Calgary Herald 2008

stegner said:
Mr. Campbell you sound almost as opposed to Stephen Harper, as I, a well-established Liberal.   Is it time for the knives to come out in the Conservative Party?  If not, at which point do you think it would be necessary (i.e. Harper continues to proceed in the same manner in the House on Afghanistan and other foreign policy) if at all.  In any event, who would you like to succeed Stephen Harper?  Jim Prentice? 

I'm not at all opposed to Stephen Harper. Quite the contrary, in fact. In most important areas I think we are very much of a mind: further, massive, decentralization of government away from the national level - many so-called public functions do not need to be done by any level of government and part of the decentralization ought to be massive privatization and, in some cases, simply walking away if the private sector is not interested.

I understand some of the problems Mr. Harper has faced as leader of a minority government and I also understand the compromises he has made - especially in not making the sorts of spending cuts which the next majority government (Con or Lib) will have to make.

I do not think he knows or cares much about foreign and defence matters - I think he actually does believe his own rhetoric about making Canada relevant in the world again (he is about 90% aligned with Paul Martin and, possibly, Michael Ignatieff on that) but I think he keeps that idea on the back burner because Canadians, an overwhelming majority of them, oppose the sorts of actions a government needs to take to put some muscle on that skeleton if ideas.

I think he has a weak political staff (PMO) with (and here I agree with Judge Gomery and Don Savoie) too much power and I think that's why the motion ended up being poorly amateurishly badly crafted. Therefore, I hope this error will come back to haunt him and that he will learn from it.

I think Dion is an ass and Ignatieff is a pompous lightweight and I don't think Bob Rae even merits discussion in any sentence that discusses 'leadership.'

Some bad branch water with that Bourbon Edward? >:D

E.R. Campbell said:
The Conservatives have established and now reinforced a precedent of allowing parliament to decide on missions short (well short!) of war. It's hard to imagine any opposition party standing still for any followup deployment (beyond an initial six-month mandate) to, say, Darfur, without a full scale parliamentary debate.
They could turn this into a good thing if they start throwing a funding component into every mission approval vote.  As the executive already must go to the legislative to get a budget, this would allow missions (beyond the initial 6 months) to be specifically funded from a dedicated pot.

MCG said:
They could turn this [the precedent the Conservatives have established of going to parliament for periodic approvals of (some? most?) missions] into a good thing if they start throwing a funding component into every mission approval vote.  As the executive already must go to the legislative to get a budget, this would allow missions (beyond the initial 6 months) to be specifically funded from a dedicated pot.

To a degree that’s how we they (even I'm not that old!) did things 500 years ago. The English parliament had, about 750 years ago, secured for itself the right to levy taxes and, over time, this evolved into a system in which parliament voted an annual sum for the sovereign’s privy purse that included a very miserly sum for the maintenance of a standing army and bits of a navy. Specific wars and similar adventures were funded, on a case by case basis, by parliament – not always in ways the sovereign liked.

The Glorious Revolution (1688) was accompanied by another one: in credit and debt – see e.g. Mead and Ferguson – that gave the executive, then the sovereign and his/her council, now the cabinet (described as “the governor in council”) the wherewithal to raise money with less parliamentary oversight and with much less immediate and direct impact on the people.

And here's what CAN says has come out of the Manley Report...
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/77192.0.html

Back