• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

I can think of several forms of recognition due Mr Khadr. None of them involve the bestowing of a medal, decoration, or order.

As I said on Facebook, I am good with him getting the Order of Canada, as long as it is delivered via JDAM to him and his crowd of parasites

Only in Canada would some dolt even consider putting up this guy for the Order...just shaking my head.

MM

BurnDoctor said:
What KevinB said above; as long as those who would nominate him are at his side.

Nodding in agreement here. I am tired of apologists and his excuse makers.

Maybe I need to go on the offensive.....

- As far as the American opinion of Mr Kadr, they shot him and then took him prisoner and patched him up. Well, if you don't want to deal with a prisoner, don't. If that is murder, then fess up and do the time. If you don't want to do the crime and do the time, then take the prisoner, but shut the feck up when it turns into a sideshow.

- There were thousands of guys in the Waffen SS and similar who did far worse than Kadr and did less jail time. Give him a chance and see how it unfolds. If he goes feral, we can blame the Yanks for not getting a B zone when they had the chance.

TCBF said:
- There were thousands of guys in the Waffen SS and similar who did far worse than Kadr and did less jail time. Give him a chance and see how it unfolds. If he goes feral, we can blame the Yanks for not getting a B zone when they had the chance.

Well, I'm sure that will be great comfort for anyone affected by him if he goes feral.  Not that I think he will personally, he might infect others on the other hand.

- Once on the street he will get more attention than the new princess. The only thing he can infect without visibility will be his toothbrush.

The limelight won't last forever.  The vultures of the press will move on to the next big story soon enough.

jollyjacktar said:
The limelight won't last forever.  The vultures of the press will move on to the next big story soon enough.
If I had to be a loony, I'd guess it won't JUST be the media keeping an eye on this guy once he's out.

You're right.  He will be under the microscope for perhaps the rest of his days.  I don't believe he, personally, will be causing too much mayhem (legal or otherwise).  Others will be doing enough of that, in his name of not.

FJAG, how likely is this "emergency stay of bail" to be granted?

CBC

Omar Khadr: Government to seek emergency stay of bail
Judge ruled April 24 that Khadr should receive bail pending his appeal on war crime convictions

The federal government is planning to seek an emergency stay of an Alberta judge's decision to grant former
Guantanamo Bay prisoner Omar Khadr bail, the Canadian Press has learned.

The application, expected to be heard Tuesday before the province's Court of Appeal, would come just hours before another court hearing scheduled to decide on his release conditions.

"The Harper government is not interested in the rule of law," Dennis Edney, one of Khadr's lawyers said in response.

"It refuses to listen to what the courts have said about Omar Khadr's rights. It continues to spend millions of taxpayers dollars only to lose time and time again."

(...SNIPPED)

S.M.A. said:
FJAG, how likely is this "emergency stay of bail" to be granted?

CBC

I'm afraid I handed in my crystal ball when I retired but here goes.

I did read the judgement and in my view it was well reasoned and, to me at least, the crown appeared to be hampered by leaving Khadr's evidence for the most part unchallenged. Factually I think Khadr has a firm footing.

I think the judge also dealt well with the legal issues: 1) whether bail was legally possible in the case of an extra territorial conviction/transfer and, 2) if so, whether Khadr was a proper candidate for bail.

Basically I'd put the case at 70/30 in Khadr's favor.

:cheers:

This situation saddens me greatly, thinking of Tabitha Speer and her young children Taryn and Tanner. 

Firm definition of 'child soldier' being 14 years of age or less notwithstanding, and Khadr having been 15 years of age at the time, those who could look at photos of Omar Khadr happily smiling and skipping through the streets of Peshawar holding several severed men's hands, or leaning over explosives helping assemble and IED, and continue to tell themselves that he was an innocent hi knew not what he was involved in, could excuse anybody of anything...

- Had he done those things as a Young Offender in Canada, he would be long free in Canada and we would not even know his name.

- Perspective, anyone?

8)

TCBF said:
- Had he done those things as a Young Offender in Canada, he would be long free in Canada and we would not even know his name.

- Perspective, anyone?

8)

You are right, but if our young offender received an adult sentence, he or she can be named in the press.

Back