• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

The opposition seems to span quite the range o' groups - highlights mine .....
Some Toronto groups are handing out flyers and putting up posters in protest of the Canadian return of terrorist Omar Khadr to serve out a 40-year prison term.

The groups also plan to pay for an anti-Khadr advertisement at the Kennedy Subway Station, near to where they claim the terrorist could be relocated with his family in Scarborough - in east Toronto.

Khadr, 26, was sentenced at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba to 40 years in jail for terrorist activities. Under a subsequent plea deal, he only had to serve eight.

After spending one additional year at Guantanamo, he became eligible to serve the remainder of his sentence in Canada under supervision of the National Parole Board.

"We are trying to warn people that Khadr is dangerous and is being relocated in the community," said Scarborough resident, Shobie Kapoor, who also started an anti-Khadr online petition. "We are trying to create public awareness."

Kapoor and others will be handing out flyers next Wednesday in downtown Toronto. They were also there last week passing out information.

"We don't want this terrorist in the country," she said. "We are trying to get the word out to all Canadians."

Almost 3,000 Canadians have signed an internet petition that calls for Khadr not to be returned to Canada.

Meyer Weinstein, of the Jewish Defense League, said efforts will be made this week to place an ad on the TTC.

"This is a serious situation that is not to be taken lightly," Weinstein said. "We don't want any terrorist here."

Ron Banerjee, of the Canadian Hindu Advocacy, said posters will be displayed in areas of Scarborough calling for Khadr to be kept out.

"We will be putting up posters with the same message," Banerjee said. "The community has to know there is a convicted terrorist moving in beside them."

He said members are "outraged that Khadr, a convicted Islamic al-Qaida terrorist, is being returned to Canada. " ....

QMI/Sun Media, 6 May 12

Either the law matters, or it doesn't. I believe it does. Disregarding entirely the question of his age at the time of capture, he is a natural born citizen and we consequently have obligations. Moreover, the entire Guantanamo situation is such a horrific legal mess that bringing him back into the country is perhaps the only way we can make up for some of our complicity in that horrendous stain on democratic principles.

Khadr will never be a danger again. CSIS et al will see to that. Yes, that will be a bit burdensome, but to adhere to our own laws and principles comes with modest cost. I'm more concerned by the consequences of us normalizing the disregard of law due to expediency than I am about the scant likelihood of one individual presenting a threat to our society.

Better had he simply died on the battlefield, but he didn't. So we have what we have- an onus to bring him back in. If it can be found that we can prosecute him criminally for something, great. At the same time, this is also our only chance to meaningfully repudiate what our neighbours to the south accepted as a necessary expediency in disregard of the rule of law as soon as they became scared. There are larger things at stake here than the fate of one boy.

Brihard said:
Either the law matters, or it doesn't. I believe it does. Disregarding entirely the question of his age at the time of capture, he is a natural born citizen and we consequently have obligations. Moreover, the entire Guantanamo situation is such a horrific legal mess that bringing him back into the country is perhaps the only way we can make up for some of our complicity in that horrendous stain on democratic principles.

Khadr will never be a danger again. CSIS et al will see to that. Yes, that will be a bit burdensome, but to adhere to our own laws and principles comes with modest cost. I'm more concerned by the consequences of us normalizing the disregard of law due to expediency than I am about the scant likelihood of one individual presenting a threat to our society.

Better had he simply died on the battlefield, but he didn't. So we have what we have- an onus to bring him back in. If it can be found that we can prosecute him criminally for something, great. At the same time, this is also our only chance to meaningfully repudiate what our neighbors to the south accepted as a necessary expediency in disregard of the rule of law as soon as they became scared. There are larger things at stake here than the fate of one boy.
I think you're 100% right even though I'm a hypocrite and I'd like to see his citizenship revoked and him kicked out.

This child listened to his dad's BS and killed one of our allies.  I can think of an ex CF member that killed 2 of our own soldiers who deserves to have his citizenship stripped away more urgently.

I see him as much less a danger to Canadians than the serial rapists and murders we let out on the streets to re-offend.

They wanna stay in Canada have them under constantly observation- put more effort into changing the laws which we follow.

The Conservatives won't compensate terrorist Omar Khadr for what activist groups call Canada's complicity in torture at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

"The government of Canada has taken the position that he is not entitled to any compensation from Canadian taxpayers," said Julie Carmichael, a spokeswoman for Public Safety Minister Vic Toews.

That comes in response to testimony delivered to the UN Committee Against Torture by Lawyers Rights Watch Canada (LRWC), one of 11 left-wing groups appearing before the committee in Geneva this week on a host of issues.

LRWC told the committee Khadr should be returned to Canada immediately with a Royal Commission investigating his torture claims and assessing how much compensation taxpayers should pay ....
QMI/Sun Media, 22 May 12

Just for shiggles, I've attached the presentation from LRWC - remember, don't hate the messenger....

Love the poll on the webpage link

Poll
Should Omar Khadr receive compensation from the Canadian government?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:29:30 EDT PM

0% 0 votes      Yes, he deserves it.

100%  9 votes  No, he is not entitled to it.

0%  0 votes  Maybe, once he has served his prison sentence.

If there is an argument to be made for bringing him back into Canada, it doesn't hang on adherence to law, respect for the law, fear of eroding our legal principles, or any other sanctimonious BS.  His treatment is not a horrendous stain on democratic principles.

We occasionally sacrifice principles for expediency.  As long as it doesn't become a habit, I am unconcerned.  Khadr's case is a singleton, or very nearly so.  If you want to bring him back, it should be sufficient when the US decides to no longer detain him as a combatant and repatriate him to a country of his citizenship.

Be realistic: if expediency compels us to carpet bomb the cities of a nation again, we will.  We did it once, and it did not stain us irrevocably.

What a white wash, not a single mention of him killing Sgt. First Class Christopher Speer, or the video of him building IED's. Or the fact that he was given the choice to leave the compound with the women and children.

He's a douche who deserves to die.

I have several friends in the unit that SFC Speer was in.  Every second he draws breath is a stain on Canada's honor. 

I will never waiver on this aspect.

He was an illegal combatant - a traitor, and as such deserves to die.

I would squish an ant with more remorse that killing this shitbag.

Residents plan rally to keep Khadr out
By Tom Godfrey, QMI Agency
Article Link

TORONTO - Some Scarborough residents are planning a town hall meeting to rally the community and prevent terrorist Omar Khadr from returning to his east-end home.

A number of Scarborough residents were meeting on Wednesday to plan against Khadr’s return to Canada in months after spending a decade in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for terrorism offences.

“We need to have our voices heard,” said activist Shobie Kapoor, who has created an online petition calling for Khadr to stay away from Canada. “We are trying to find out what our options are when he (Khadr) returns to the community.”

Kapoor said at least 20 area residents, and a number of groups, have banned together to keep Khadr out of Scarborough, where he was born. No date has been set for a town hall meeting.

Her group plans to post flyers near homes where Khadr will be staying with family members. Members of the Canadian Hindu Advocacy have twice posted flyers near Khadr grandfather’s home on Khartoum Ave.

The group has formed Canadian Patriots Unite Against Terrorist Omar Khadr to help with the fight.
More on link

GAP said:
Residents plan rally to keep Khadr out
By Tom Godfrey, QMI Agency
Article Link

TORONTO - Some Scarborough residents are planning a town hall meeting to rally the community and prevent terrorist Omar Khadr from returning to his east-end home.

A number of Scarborough residents were meeting on Wednesday to plan against Khadr’s return to Canada in months after spending a decade in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for terrorism offences.

“We need to have our voices heard,” said activist Shobie Kapoor, who has created an online petition calling for Khadr to stay away from Canada. “We are trying to find out what our options are when he (Khadr) returns to the community.”

Kapoor said at least 20 area residents, and a number of groups, have banned together to keep Khadr out of Scarborough, where he was born. No date has been set for a town hall meeting.

Her group plans to post flyers near homes where Khadr will be staying with family members. Members of the Canadian Hindu Advocacy have twice posted flyers near Khadr grandfather’s home on Khartoum Ave.

The group has formed Canadian Patriots Unite Against Terrorist Omar Khadr to help with the fight.
More on link

No doubt the Khadr worshippers will trip all over each other in their rush to remind everyone about poor Omar's Charter rights and how they can't do this...plus the usual cries of "racist, bigot" and some anti USA rhetoric....all of which the MSM outlets will trip over each other to report.

Jim Seggie said:
No doubt the Khadr worshippers will trip all over each other in their rush to remind everyone about poor Omar's Charter rights and how they can't do this...plus the usual cries of "racist, bigot" and some anti USA rhetoric....all of which the MSM outlets will trip over each other to report.

And those same people would protest a child molester or convicted rapist moving into their neighbourhood, and go right back to pleading Khadr's case afterwards.

Looks like his family found the poll  ;)
I, for one, agree with KevinB.

Should Omar Khadr receive compensation from the Canadian government?
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:29:30 EDT PM

Yes, he deserves it. 
  No, he is not entitled to it. 
  Maybe, once he has served his prison sentence. 
Vote
or view results

5%

5 votes
Yes, he deserves it.

94%

100 votes
No, he is not entitled to it.

1%

1 votes
Maybe, once he has served his prison sentence.

I'm with Kevin...and not just because Christopher Speer was a medic, but because this clown knew damn well what he was doing, got caught and should pay - and alot longer than he's already done.

MM

"Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act."

Khadr's lawyers call on Ottawa to approve his transfer

21/06/2012 12:56:16 PM

CTVNews.ca Staff
LINK

Omar Khadr's lawyers are calling on Ottawa to approve his transfer to Canada from Guantanamo Bay, saying he is a "good person" who deserves a second chance.

Lawyers John Norris and Brydie Bethell, along with their U.S. counterparts Lt.-Col. Jon Jackson and Maj. Matthew Schwartz held a news conference in Ottawa Thursday along with Senator Romeo Dallaire.

"It's been a joy to see him as a student, he has such a love of learning which is something I think is important when you look at what someone's going to be like when they do get out of prison," said Jackson.

He said Khadr has not been not a threat while in jail and will not be a threat when he is released.

"I believe actions speak louder than words," Jackson said. "I've been a soldier now for 15 years and I've represented people who are radical jihadis and I've represented soldiers who have committed crimes...and I can tell you he is a good person with a good heart and he wants to get an education and make a positive difference in society."

The lawyers also said it was a "mystery" why Ottawa had not agreed to repatriate Khadr, who has been held in Guantanamo Bay since his arrest in 2002 in Afghanistan. He was 15 at the time.

Khadr was captured by U.S. troops after a four-hour firefight in which he is accused of throwing a grenade that killed an American medic.

The Toronto-born Khadr, now 25, pleaded guilty in 2010 before a military tribunal to war crimes committed in Afghanistan.

As part of his plea deal he was sentenced to eight years with one year to be served in Guantanamo.

As of last October, Khadr was eligible for transfer back to Canada to serve out the remainder of his sentence, but Ottawa has dragged its feet on the transfer.

Khadr's supporters have argued he was essentially a child soldier in 2002, under the tutelage of his extremist father, and should be allowed to return home.

However, Ottawa has suggested the U.S. is attempting to bully Canada into accepting Khadr -- the only Western prisoner still believed to be in detention at Guantanamo. Australia and other Western countries have allowed their citizens to be transferred to prisons in their home countries, as Washington tries to wind down the controversial detention centre.

WAIT A MINUTE !

'We'll send you packing,' Kenney tells foreign criminals

20/06/2012 12:56:16 PM

LINK

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney announced new measures Wednesday to expedite deportation of foreigners who commit crimes in Canada, saying it's time to end the "abuse of Canada's generosity."

The Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals Act, tabled Wednesday, will allow the government to automatically deport refugees, immigrants and visitors to Canada who are convicted of a serious crime and serve more than six months in jail. Those criminals will lose their right to appeal the decision, which would allow them to extend their stay in the country.

"These tough but fair measures will ensure that foreign criminals won't be allowed to endlessly abuse Canada's generosity," Kenney said at a news conference in Ottawa.

"Canadians believe that even foreign criminals should get their day in court. But they shouldn't get endless years in court, delaying their inevitable deportation," he said.

"It's time to send a clear message to foreign criminals: ‘If you commit a serious crime in Canada, we're going to send you packing as quickly as we can."

Currently, non-Canadian citizens who are sentenced to less than two years behind bars can appeal their removal from the country to the Immigration Appeal Division.

The proposed legislation would only allow those sentenced to less than six months in jail to make such an appeal. People with criminal convictions in other countries that would carry a maximum sentence of at least 10 years in Canada will also no longer be able to appeal to the IAD.

The proposed changes would also ensure that foreign nationals who are inadmissible to Canada on the most serious grounds – security, human or international rights violations, or because of links to organized crime – will no longer be able to delay their removal by appealing their case on humanitarian or compassionate grounds, Kenney said.

"This is a serious problem," Kenny told CTV's Power Play later Wednesday. "We've had hundreds of cases of foreign criminals convicted in Canada to six months or more of a prison sentence and they've managed to delay their deportation for years and sometimes more than a decade."

Kenney cited examples of notorious criminals with multiple convictions who were able to remain in Canada for years, thanks to drawn-out appeal procedures and court delays.

One of them, alleged Calgary gangster Jackie Tran, was able to fight his deportation to Vietnam for almost six years, Kenney said.

In many cases, convicted criminals appealing their removal from Canada ended up committing more crimes while their appeals moved through the legal system, he added.

The new rules will also make it harder for those who pose a risk to Canada to enter the country in the first place, Kenney said.

Other changes in the proposed legislation include:

Denying temporary resident status to an individual "on the basis of public policy considerations." For example, someone who promotes violence against a religious or ethnic group would not be granted temporary residence in Canada.
Foreigners with family members considered to be dangerous (i.e. war criminals) would not be allowed entry to Canada. However, those who are considered "low-risk" would be granted temporary entry despite having family members who are inadmissible.
A five-year inadmissibility period for those who lie on their immigration applications
Although the new rules will prevent foreign criminals from accessing the standard appeals process, they will still be entitled to what's known as a pre-removal risk assessment, Kenney told Power Play.

That ensures that immigration officials won't deport people to countries where they will face torture or "cruel and unusual punishment," Kenney said.

The Conservatives had promised to streamline Canada's deportation laws and overhaul the country's immigration system in their election platform.

The Conservative government should have introduced the changes announced Wednesday "a long time ago," Kennedy told Power Play.

Changes to Canada's immigration and refugee policies, contained in Bill C-31, recently passed third reading in the House of Commons.

Guess that doesn't apply......    :-[

George Wallace said:
Guess that doesn't apply......    :-[
The last I heard was that Khadr is a Canadian citizen, so he doesn't fit the "foreign criminal" pigeonhole.

milnews.ca said:
The last I heard was that Khadr is a Canadian citizen, so he doesn't fit the "foreign criminal" pigeonhole.

True, but it does not mean that his family can not be removed.

ModlrMike said:

Those not born here could technically have their Citizenship revoked ( presuming the GOC decides to go through with that lengthy and troubled process), however Omar has an Ontario Birth Certificate so he's our's to deal with ::)

Was watching the wingeing and hand wringing from a human rights lawyer as well as the reporters on CTV Newsnet.  The female anchor was saying there was a small but vocal group of opposition from Canadians.  It made me snarl in that while the vocal parts might be small I do not believe those who oppose his return to Canada are a small minority of Canadians.  :mad:

ModlrMike said:
They could as long as they're non-citizens and convicted of crimes, according to the latest proposal from Minister Kenny & Co.

jollyjacktar said:
It made me snarl in that while the vocal parts might be small I do not believe those who oppose his return to Canada are a small minority of Canadians.  :mad:
Now THAT would be an interesting survey to conduct - any media up for it?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Anyone?

Back