• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Boot Review

V

Inactive
Reaction score
  I tried on a pair of those fancy 325.00 dollar Danner "Acadia" Boots, and I wasn't that impressed.  I was thinking maybe I would take a look and honestly they weren't that good...  They're Gretex so that's good but they felt funny.  Anyway, my two cents.

When I was in  :warstory:, a lot of troops bought "Ft. Lewis" models when they went down there for Cougar Salvo.  They swore by them.

EDIT for punctuation.

RangerRay said:
When I was in  :warstory:, a lot of troops bought "Ft. Lewis" models when they went down there for Cougar Salvo.  They swore by them.

EDIT for punctuation.

Agreed.  I wear the Ft. Lewis model with the zero insulation option both in the field and at work and they are brilliant.  Light and supportive.  However, I was able to use some creative process to get them for significantly cheaper.  $325 is a big chunk of change.  Still worth it in my opinion, though. 

Danners are truly the Rolls Royce of military footwear - and priced similarly too.

If you take care of them, they can be re-soled a few times, and the desert ones are nice too!

GO!!! said:
Danners are truly the Rolls Royce of military footwear - and priced similarly too.

If you take care of them, they can be re-soled a few times, and the desert ones are nice too!
Can't agree more.  I've had a pair for three years (desert pattern) and in my opinion they are woth every cent!

I have a pair of Danner Acadia's, and love them to death. best thing my feet have ever worn. Ive owned mine for a year now, and my younger brother has had his for about 3, both of us give them a full hearty and robust reccomendation.

Boots are a totally personal thing. I personally hate the fit of Danners, they are much to narrow for my feet. I agree that they are very durable however there are equally comfortable/durable options out there (all equally high priced or more though). If Danners dont fit you properly I might suggest looking at Lowas, Altbergs, Haix, Mendell, or Hanwag boots. I personally use Hanwag boots.

Yeah, I can't stand the fit of Danners. The toe box is way too narrow for me, and the soles are hard as a brick. Wearing them for hours used to kill my back. I switched to Belleville boots and never looked back.

Like I've posted elsewhere, every soldiers has his own individual needs in footwear.

There will never be a common type that is suitable to all; and that is why I advocate purchasing soldiers the most suitable footwear for them on an individual basis.

For every pers that likes the Danners, there is one who doesn't. Same for every other make of footwear. That's why when I see these threads stating "why don't we buy Danners for everyone etc" like they are the catsas$, I chime in.

As the Sup Tech at clothing stores, I can guarantee you, that not everyone is happy with whatever style of footwear whichever soldier is advocating as God's gift to whichever trade.

Librarian is bang on. I think she might have mentioned this in the past, but I think soldiers should just be given a boots allowance. Provide a list of "approved boots" ( a very wide list but one to give troops a rough guideline) and let them buy what works for them. For all the money we spend on R&D, buying boots for guys on chit, production of boots in such widely varied sizes, and the costs associated with overproducing for the purpose of on hand stock I think an allowance would be equally cost effective.

The Librarian said:
As the Sup Tech at clothing stores, I can guarantee you, that not everyone is happy with whatever style of footwear whichever soldier is advocating as God's gift to whichever trade.

Are there any old school types that actually prefer the concrete soled original types?  That would seem odd in a world of choice.  However if everyone universally does not care for them then maybe the boot allowance might be a good idea.  New recruits would have to get whatever was handed to them, and once they had a good idea of what they need they could then branch out. 
And I do realize that many recruits will have experience with boots when they get on.  It just seems to me that allowing brand new guys to get their own kit before day one could end up in a cluster with people's orders having not arrived before the start of course.  BMQ would look like an MIR Commando parade from the get-go.  RSM's everywhere would need pacemakers.  ;D

Everybody's feet are different, which is why I try to avoid making boot recommendations.  A few posters brought up a good idea with a boot allowance - I believe the Americans do this; just head down to the PX or anywhere else and by a set of approved boots.

As for Danners, I've had my uninsulated Danners for 4 years now and they've served me well - I swear by the things.

If you cant get on with DANNERS try these brands...Altberg or Lowa..very popular with UK Forces. 

The Lowa Seeker is one hell of a GP boot and the Lowa Mountain/Combat for more arduous work.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/military.jsp

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3112100999&Category=8&Type=M

http://www.militaryandoutdoorgear.com/?i=4632046&desc=Lowa+Combat+Boot+GTX+(Men's)+-+Black

zipperhead_cop said:
Are there any old school types that actually prefer the concrete soled original types?  That would seem odd in a world of choice. 
Absolutely there are indeed many many pers who prefer the MKIII black caddies, and a whole lot of them are infantry guys.
zipperhead_cop said:
However if everyone universally does not care for them then maybe the boot allowance might be a good idea.  New recruits would have to get whatever was handed to them, and once they had a good idea of what they need they could then branch out. And I do realize that many recruits will have experience with boots when they get on.  It just seems to me that allowing brand new guys to get their own kit before day one could end up in a cluster with people's orders having not arrived before the start of course.
Absolutely agreed.
zipperhead_cop said:
BMQ would look like an MIR Commando parade from the get-go.  RSM's everywhere would need pacemakers.   ;D
This probably best reflects the exact reason why there is no boot allowance. No standard of dress. Too many different looks on parade despite the fact it might be best for the troops; and the costs of installing all those pacemakers into RSMs and CSMs everywhere. Not to mention the RCRs.  ;D

The Librarian said:
Absolutely there are indeed many many pers who prefer the MKIII black caddies, and a whole lot of them are infantry guys.

I am one of those Mk III guys... just not infantry...

I would certainly class myself as an "old school type" who wore the issued combat boot for many years with no problems, hell I even went though basic with ankle combat boots and puttees.

As for myself, I now wear custom orthotics that don't fit in the issued boot.

That having been said if I had been wearing the type of boots made today vice what I wore for most of my 29 years I may not have developed a foot problem in the first place.  A problem that luckily is helped by orthotics.

Old fart.....out

Airborne-Chimo-Ubique...

$325 for a pair of Danners??  Care to buy my ice fishing business in the Caribean??  Danner Acadia's (every model of the Acadia) and Ft. Lewis can be easily had to all points in Canada for less than $200 on your doorstep, there are alot of independent Danner reps in Canada, that will give you a good break on them.

The MkIII is a very good boot for a DMS design.  I still regularly wear mine in rotation with my Danners.  Everybodys feet are different, yet the majority of issues can be resolved by proper fitment.  MKIII 10-10 1/2 E fit me great when new, but once broken in, are like wearing mukluks, have gone through alot of suffering with 9-9 1/2 E's to achieve the perfect fit once stretched.......the joys of a direct molded sole.  The thing I like the best about the MKIII's is that when they get wet I can easily drain out the water, versus a lined boot which I have a wet/soggy foot for many more miles.  I have been wearing Danners almost daily since 92, it took me about 3 years and several pairs to find the perfect fit.  But now I can get a any model in my size and they fit like a glove.  One pair has now been resoled 6 times since 94 and has yet to leak, but yeah i look after them.

I find the aspect of a boot allowance to be valid argument, but feel it should only be permitted for actual field use boots and on operations.  Vibram soles, mainly the Sierra and Keltterflit (sp?) do not like pavement that much.  If you wear them daily in garrison, especially including the odd bout of drill.....you'd be spending $50-$100 per annum getting them resoled.  Why not keep our awesome MKIII's for those that love them and still maintain a boot in the system we can exchange regardless. 

Also wondering individuals view on how a boot allowance would work, ie X number of $$$ per annum to use on approved footwear (then what would the dollar amount be and is it avail to all, ie added to ones pay once per year or upon presentation of a receipt???)  We all know if an allowance is forces wide, lots will bicker as soldier X used his allowance to buy beer versus boots etc...

Certainly from a patrolling perspective lined boots can be as much use as t_ts on a bull.

There are quite a number of un-lined varients available if you have the need.

At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with the issued boot; I would still be wearing them if I could. :salute:

Back