• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Boot Review

Just out of curiosity, can you please tell me why you have already excluded Oakley, Converse, Rocky Mountain, etc?

I'm not partial to any brand, just wondering what it was that thinned those out for you.

If anyone is in the CFB Trenton area come drop by the store and try on a pair of the OTB Boots we just got in!!

We sold four pair on Friday when they arrived.  :eek:  They are that good.

Petamocto said:
Just out of curiosity, can you please tell me why you have already excluded Oakley, Converse, Rocky Mountain, etc?

I'm not partial to any brand, just wondering what it was that thinned those out for you.

For me... it was becuase they are in stock at the store. I"m sure the other brands are as good. But the PX here doesn't carry them. Or the previous store I got the SWAT's don't either. And I"m very iffy on buying online when it comes to boots. Boots go on your feet. And you only have one pair... so no replacement on those once they are FUBAR.

My two cents
TN2IC

Has anyone else found the swat boot laces hard to tighten up? Or them slipping out occasionally?
I've had these problems, just curious if anyone had a solution to the problem.

I haven't had any issues with laces on either my black or desert SWATs.

For any Bluenosers out there, I just found out that the Army/Navy store on Agricola Street in Halifax sells both Tan and Black Swats for $120.

I have had both the Magnums and the Swat zip-up boots. I don't have any military experience but am a full time paramedic. I found that the Magnums didn't stand up as long as the Swat boots have.The air cushion popped, the stitching was letting go and the toe cap leather was peeling quite quickly. The swat boots have held together much better but as some of the users have eluded they both need replacing more frequently than other boots.

That being said they both felt really great on the feet during a normal work day
Hope this helps

I've done my share of research on here, and elsewhere on other sites. My regt allows Magnums or Swats in the field, but of course members have to purchase them.

After careful consideration, I bought a pair of SWATs to try out. Just took delivery of them today from www.oneshottactical.com

So far, they are very nice. I have a difficult foot to fit, and they fit marvelously right out of the box, and are really comfortable. The tag line for them is Sport shoe feel with tactical boot performance, and they really don't lie.

I'll keep you posted, but so far, they're really good from a comfort, fit, and weight perspective.

I have had quite a few types of SWATs over the years.

My first set was a pair from the Canadian Company Original Shoe (same company but Canadian version) I had their 9" classic until after a year or so they kind of fell apart (the various swamps ive gone through at the time didnt help at all, as the foot bed was cardboardish)

I then bought a pair of 9" classic SWATS in 2005 and they were replaced in early 2007.

I bought a pair of Metro Tactical and SEK 9000.

The Metros were great for urban areas but the sole was not made to deal with more difficult terrain.

The SEK 9000s were frekkin amazing, so light and flexible, they even had Vibram soles with a multi tread pattern.

I recently bought a pair of Magnums and well they are ok, better than the issued crap but not as good as SWAT.

I might just add this is the only forum in which I have ever been told that I must follow terms of spelling, grammar and punctuation.  It is sure interesting to see that there are still English teachers out there.  My opinion is that as long as you use the proper rules when you are writting things in the real world, it should be no big deal how you write in cyberspace.

KellGunner said:
ive had quite a few types of SWATs over the years

my first set was a pair from the Canadian COmpany Original Shoe (same company but Canadian version) i had their 9" classic until after a year or so they kind of fell apart (the various swamps ive gone through at the time didnt help at all, as the foot bed was cardboardish)

i then bought a pair of 9" classic SWATS in 2005 and they were replaced in early 2007

i bought a pair of Metro Tactical and SEK 9000

the Metros were great for urban areas but the sole was not made to deal with more difficult terrain

the SEK 9000s were frekkin amazing, so light and flexible, they even had Vibram soles with a multi tread pattern

i recently bought a pair of Magnums and well they are ok, better than the issued crap but not as good as SWAT

Please start following the Site Guidelines, regarding spelling, grammar and capitalization. The Guidelines are required reading before posting. Thanks.

Welcome to Milnet.ca

Milnet.ca Staff

I've been running a couple pairs of SWATs since 2008, and with the little bit of wear I give them, they've lasted well, and been very comfy to wear.

I run them with semi-orthotic inserts, and am pleased with the fit and feel.

One of the boots has a little tiny point at the toe where the rubber is starting to peel away from the leather a bit, and the other pair I finally killed a pair of laces on.

Nothing major.  I'll buy SWAT again.

NS

Wonderbread said:
A pretty bold claim, no?  Especially considering that you've only worn the boots for 5 months, and as a 26 year old 2lt who hasn't yet finished his phase training I'll bet your experience with other boots is probably rather limited...

You know, I have a life outside military, and I had a life prior joining military. As a 26 years old man, I'm hiking since 10 years, with many hikes of more than 50k with a 70 pounds ruck. Can you tell me what the difference is, except the rifle, between hiking on various types of terrain, and ruckmarching on various types of terrain in military? It's not because I only have 1 year in military that I don't have any life experience...

Wonderbread said:
Have you worn SWATs or Magnums? Meindls? LOWAs? Rockys?

So far, I've tried bates, magnum, timberland and haix. I used to wear combat boots for hiking as they usually offer excellent support for ankles.

Wonderbread said:
Don't take it personally, but I'm suspicious of anyone claiming that any one boot is the best.

Yeah, your right. It's a matter of personal preference. I should have said : I prefer theses boots over the boots I tried before. It depends on many factors, like the shape of your feet, the way you walk, etc.

Hi all.  Thought I'd do a little necropost since my question relates to Magnum and SWAT boots as well.

For a new civy job, I need to buy some black polishable boots with CSA approved safety toes.  I've searched a lot of posts on here, and it sounds like Magnum and SWAT are generally good boots for the price.  Has anyone had any experience with other brands such as Converse, 5.11, Terra, Timberland or Bates?  If so, how are they in terms of quality and durability?  I'll have to find out for myself how they are for comfort, but if I can narrow it down to a few good quality brands, that would be a big help.

Thanks.  :)

EDITED:  Added a couple other brands to my query.

RangerRay said:
Hi all.  Thought I'd do a little necropost since my question relates to Magnum and SWAT boots as well.

For a new civy job, I need to buy some black polishable boots with CSA approved safety toes.  I've searched a lot of posts on here, and it sounds like Magnum and SWAT are generally good boots for the price.  Has anyone had any experience with other brands such as Converse, 5.11 or Bates?  If so, how are they in terms of quality and durability?  I'll have to find out for myself how they are for comfort, but if I can narrow it down to a few good quality brands, that would be a big help.

5.11 are very nice, I find that they last longer than the SWAT brand. I had a pair of SWAT Air Heel Zip and the zipper wind flap breaks off too easily, the leather on the boot dries out, cracks and looks horrid. 5.11 are much more durable and take polish like a champ.

Drying out and cracking was a problem with the Magnum Stealths, I found.  Having foot problems and orthotics, I found the Stealths to be the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.  I will still continue wearing them for the comfort factor alone.

Just sayin...

RangerRay said:

For a new civy job, I need to buy some black polishable boots with CSA approved safety toes.  I've searched a lot of posts on here, and it sounds like Magnum and SWAT are generally good boots for the price.  Has anyone had any experience with other brands such as Converse, 5.11, Terra, Timberland or Bates?  If so, how are they in terms of quality and durability?  I'll have to find out for myself how they are for comfort, but if I can narrow it down to a few good quality brands, that would be a big help.

EDITED:  Added a couple other brands to my query.

For work I wear the Magnum Stealth Force 8" Side Zip Composite Toe and Composite Plate.

http://www.magnumbootstore.ca/stealthforce8-5319.aspx

The boots are CSA approved safety footwear. They weigh about as much as a pair of running shoes and feel about the same. Once you put them on and lace them, you get in and out by the zipper after that. My boots are on and ready in about 15 seconds.

Safety is my job and I love these boots. Cool and moisture wicking in the summer and warm and dry in the winter.

For safety boots, you can't beat these. I've never had a problem with drying out or cracking and the zippers, heck the whole boot, is as good as the day I started wearing them 2 years ago.

RangerRay said:
Has anyone had any experience with other brands such as Converse, 5.11, Terra, Timberland or Bates? 

For what it is worth, I remember reading this about Pro-Warrington:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ems-poster-boy-keith-rock-career-due-clunky-boots-article-1.200414

mariomike said:
For what it is worth, I remember reading this about Pro-Warrington:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ems-poster-boy-keith-rock-career-due-clunky-boots-article-1.200414

Hmmm, sounds very similar to a GP interim combat boot  ::)

recceguy said:
Hmmm, sounds very similar to a GP interim combat boot  ::)

PRO-Warrington Technical Rescue, Emergency Medical Services, Liquid Splash – Model 6006
http://www.mesfire.com/Portal.aspx?CN=04E2EFAF87AD

( Shows a Zipper option. )

RangerRay said:
For a new civy job, I need to buy some black polishable boots with CSA approved safety toes.  I've searched a lot of posts on here, and it sounds like Magnum and SWAT are generally good boots for the price.  Has anyone had any experience with other brands such as Converse, 5.11, Terra, Timberland or Bates?  If so, how are they in terms of quality and durability? 

I've had the Bates 8" Tactical boots before and thought they were shyte.  I also had the Bates M-9 Gortex and thought they were the most comfortable cmbt boots I'd ever worn.  If their CSA M-8 are as comfy as the M-9, they are worth a look.  http://www.batesfootwear.com/ca/en/Footwear?FeatureID=1200%2C1233

My issued summer combat boots are Magnum Stealth Force 8", full leather, composite CSA Grade 1.  Had them over 2 years now and still going strong.  They are far more durable than the Stealth's IMO.  Extremely light and comfy.  https://sealsactiongear.com/catalog/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=1184

Back