• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Going To Esquimalt Thread- PAT, PMQ, Etc.- Merged

I'm being posted to Esq. from Hfx this APS and although I'd love to buy a house (we own in Halifax at the moment) a quick browse of the MLS has discouraged me (since I'm not independently wealthy), so I'm considering PMQs.  When you apply through the CFHA you have to check your "area preference."  Of course they can't provide any info about the communities or the PMQs available at each site (you'd think they'd at least have pics on the website).  Since I haven't been to Esquimalt since 1996 I know nothing.  This is all I've got:
-Naden, Workpoint and Signal Hill are close to the base, but a third party has told me that the area is not very nice.
-Belmont and Royal Rhodes are about 20 minutes away, but nicer
-Rocky Point is very nice but over an hour away.

Anyway, my HHT isn't going to be until May, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone familiar with PMQs in Esquimalt can provide their unbiased (or biased) opinion.

PumpKickr said:
I'm being posted to Esq. from Hfx this APS and although I'd love to buy a house (we own in Halifax at the moment) a quick browse of the MLS has discouraged me (since I'm not independently wealthy), so I'm considering PMQs.  When you apply through the CFHA you have to check your "area preference."  Of course they can't provide any info about the communities or the PMQs available at each site (you'd think they'd at least have pics on the website).  Since I haven't been to Esquimalt since 1996 I know nothing.  This is all I've got:
-Naden, Workpoint and Signal Hill are close to the base, but a third party has told me that the area is not very nice.
-Belmont and Royal Rhodes are about 20 minutes away, but nicer
-Rocky Point is very nice but over an hour away.

Anyway, my HHT isn't going to be until May, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone familiar with PMQs in Esquimalt can provide their unbiased (or biased) opinion.

Based on two months there in 2004 I would suggest that the Work Point patch is a decent neighbourhood.  I didn't see anything that would put me off living there.

I currently reside in Work point PMQ's with my three kids and have throughly enjoyed it here so far. It is close to work(5 minute commute MAX), close to school for my kids, and only a short walk along the West Bay Walkway to downtown. It also has all the amenities within a 10 minute drive.

I lived in Belmont Park from 1999 to 2001. It was alright, but I found it to be to far from town for me. Now that they have begun really developing the area, it is close to a multitude of stores which would probably make it more enjoyable and has a school right in the neighbourhood, but the commute to the base is anywhere from 45mins + both to and from work. 

Personally, when I was given the choice, I chose Work Point for not only my ease, but the ease of my kids in the future.

Good luck with your HHT and future posting!

Springroll, I hope you don't mind if I ask what type of housing is in the Workpoint area? Apartments, row housing, single family?

We're going to have 3 kids by the time we move and my main concerns are living space, space for them to play outside, a decent pre-school nearby and ease for my spouse to get around while I'm at sea.

I currently walk to work here in Halifax, so still being able to do that in Esquimalt is another big plus for me.

PumpKickr said:
Springroll, I hope you don't mind if I ask what type of housing is in the Workpoint area? Apartments, row housing, single family?

We're going to have 3 kids by the time we move and my main concerns are living space, space for them to play outside, a decent pre-school nearby and ease for my spouse to get around while I'm at sea.

I currently walk to work here in Halifax, so still being able to do that in Esquimalt is another big plus for me.

I'm not Springroll, but I can answer most of that anyhow.

Work Point is a mix of rowhouses and single family.  There's really quite a mix of single family styles, proper houses, prefabs, tiny little jobs - there are number of each right on the water with decent sized yards.  It's a great location althogether, for the reasons explained.  Definitely the closest to town and work - the others are in commuter country.  Rocky Point is way the heck out there, and the houses aren't all that great, but it's a really good, quiet location if you like rural living.  I think Belmont is the least, uh, scenic.

Some of the Qs behind the base hospital are absolutely unreal, with huge loft living rooms, hardwood floors, and the most beautiful yards in Esquimalt.  A buddy of mine has lived in possibly the best one for several years

This is sounding interesting, since I too have a message for Esquimalt.  I grew up in Vic, and have since been wondering what was going on at Work Point since 3VP left.  I'm either going to be at the Hospital and/or on ship, so knowing those Q's are still open and in good shape is nice to know - I'm not overly interested in a 400 year mortgage at the moment...being within brisk walking or short running distance to work is always a plus.

MM

As Melbatoast stated, Work Point is a mix between single family, row housing and duplexes. I live in a 4 bedroom duplex and it seems to work good for us. With that said, I am also a single mother of three kids, so at times, the size seems daunting when it comes to cleaning...(which is most of the time...lol). I have a large front yard and have fenced in my backyard for my dog, but have no neighbours behind me..I love it! Only complaint i have is that I don't have a basement and the one bathroom is very small.

I would suggest calling up CFHA and notifying them as soon as you have your posting msg in hand. There are currently 8 people on the wait list for 3 bedrooms in Work Point, but come posting season, those moving into the area get first dibs. There is something like 82 on the list for 2 bdrm PMQ's...YIKES!

I hope your moves are fun and uneventful!!

Thanks melbatoast and Springroll, your info is really helpful.  Do you know anything about the Naden or Signal Hill areas? I've got the request for the PMQ all filled out, I just have to decide what areas to be considered for and at this point those are the two that I don't have any information on.

Hello PumpKickr

I'm sorry that I can't give you any information on Naden or Signal Hill but I would like to give you my two cents on Belmont Park. 

I grew up in Belmont park for my first 14 years.  My brother in law currently resides there and I like to visit my old stomping grounds once in a while.  I have nothing against Belmont Park, it consists of singles and duplexes, and some row houses at each end of the park.  Most of the houses are 3 levels including a full size basement, living room, dinning room and kitchen.  Very spacious compared to anything you can buy in this city. It just got a brand new school built this past November and offers both English and French immersion classes.  I believe it turned into pre-school to grade 8 but not 100% sure on this.  The yard sizes are pretty big unless your in one of the row houses.  There is a youth centre and a couple of churches.  There are playgrounds placed all around the park.  It is up the road from a skating rink, swimming pool and a library, all newly built in the past 5-10 years.  It is on the outskirts of Fort Rodd Hill and Royal Roads (both can be looked up on the internet I am sure) both great places to take kids to see.  Oh and the Lagoon is also on the outskirts.  With all the new highway construction in the past years, a ride into town can take anywhere from 15-45 minutes depending on rush hour times.  I do remember that my father would walk down to the tugboat (I think it was called F-Jetty) and take that over to CFB Esquimalt and back.  Not sure if that is still an option though. 

Anyway, I hope this helps a little and that you find the right place for you.

signal hill is always taken and always a long wait to get it . or it seems that way . if you can get it  its close to town . but belmont is spacy-er

You can still take the Blueboat over to Naden/Dockyard from Belmont :)

I am "assuming" that by asking for Naden, you are referring to the ones behind the hospital.
Most of them up there are duplexes and single family dwellings. They are pretty big, and definitely have larger bathrooms then those in Work Point or Belmont Park. The same can be said for Signal Hill. Same type of housing but they are in high demand due to them being right beside the base.

I would have loved a house in either of those areas, but they very rarely come up for grabs. Even Work Point is a tough one to get into...I just happened to have luck on my side when i needed a PMQ.

I have a friend that is leaving on the plane on Sunday to go to Victoria but in his package doesn't have his joining instructions. Does anyone know where he should present himself when arriving in the taxi to get his Quarters and Rations, what to bring and all that other stuff... He is landing around 1930 Sunday.

If anyone can help thanks,

BTW I told him already he was dumb not to ask :p

Do you know what he's going for?  (Or where exactly he's going?  Work Point, or Naden, or elsewhere?)

Naval Comminicator QL1 (Reserves) that's the course, where is the course I really don't know...

If hes going on QL 1 then he should be going to Nelles blk, in Naden. Its on Admirals rd, just down the hill from esquimalt rd, if the cabbie has never heard of it. At that point the Duty Watch should tell him where he's living.  Enjoy.

Thanks for the quick reply. My friend and I all thank you for giving him a helping hand... I hope he learns from his mistakes :p

Ropeburn said:
if the cabbie has never heard of it.
Then I recommend you get another cab!  If not you could be in for an interesting ride

Hey everyone. I am looking for some intel on the PMQ process for Esquimalt. I am currently merit listed and want to get my ducks in a row before I ship out. I am will be joining under the Recruit school by-pass plan. Also, I have been told that my initial posting will most likely be to MARPAC.

First question; am I able to apply to the CFHA for a PMQ as soon as I ship off to the base? (and yes I know that I will not be able to move in till I am done my 3s). Second question; what is the story with the buildings. I have seen that the DND will be constructing new homes between now and 2012 or so. How much more will they cost p/month? Third off, what sort of timeframe am I looking at from application to move in. I am married with a baby boy.

Thanks all,

Will

I'm wondering the same thing, I have to get a doctor letter saying im good to go for basic, then I get my part 2 physical and interview the same day. I think I'm all good on the background check which is running on me right now, passed CFAT. I want to get my ducks in a row, I will ask to be posted to esquimalt if I can as I am from the west coast.

I have a fiance and young daughter as well so I want to get my name on the list as soon as I can, but it would be nice to know if a house will be available by the time I possibly get there in a few months.

Back