• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Glass Protection in front of VAC offices

maniac

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know the reason/history of this?  There is no other federal department in Canada that has this.  This appears as a barrier to protect the employee from veterans.  I hope that is not the answer, since you can get the same service at Service Canada and not have that glass barrier as your start point.

Probably someone's version of the good idea fairy.....

maniac said:
Does anyone know the reason/history of this?  There is no other federal department in Canada that has this.  This appears as a barrier to protect the employee from veterans.  I hope that is not the answer, since you can get the same service at Service Canada and not have that glass barrier as your start point.
It allows them to ignore you in person, the way they ignore you by mail and phone calls.

maniac said:
.... There is no other federal department in Canada that has this ....
Not so - I work in a federal government regional office (not VAC) where there's a piece of glass in front of the receptionist, who deals with the public all the time, and I'm pretty sure other offices with the same department in other parts of the country have similar set-ups.

OK,  I suppose some Federal departments might be working with prisoners, mh issues and other reasons for security but Veteran Affairs Canada?  Is the presumption that we all have mh issues that have proven to be threatening to VAC employees?  I just think this is something from the old VAC days that is residual and needs to go.

It may be intended to protect veterans from VAC employees and their mental health issues.  :nod:

maniac said:
OK,  I suppose some Federal departments might be working with prisoners, mh issues and other reasons for security but Veteran Affairs Canada?  Is the presumption that we all have mh issues that have proven to be threatening to VAC employees?  I just think this is something from the old VAC days that is residual and needs to go.
If I were asked to do a risk assessment, I'd have to say the risk to workers dealing with the public where said public (those with OR without mental health issues) could get p***ed off because of denied benefits would NOT be zero.  For example, I wonder how many provincial welfare offices have a similiar setup?

Journeyman said:
It may be intended to protect veterans from VAC employees and their mental health issues.  :nod:
Never thought of that....

From the Veterans Affairs Canada Occupational Health and Safety Audit ( 2004 ).

"2.6.2 Training on Dealing with Difficult Situations
One of the potential dangers of working at Veterans Affairs Canada is that a disgruntled individual will threaten self-harm or harm to VAC staff.":
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/department/reports/deptaudrep/ohs_audit#difficult

milnews.ca said:
If I were asked to do a risk assessment, I'd have to say the risk to workers dealing with the public where said public (those with OR without mental health issues) could get p***ed off because of denied benefits would NOT be zero.  For example, I wonder how many provincial welfare offices have a similiar setup?
Never thought of that....

Many social services office here in ON have the same setup for the very reason cited. All it takes is one very p*ssed off individual to reach across the counter, or get in an employee's face, and the employer has a duty to ensure the safety of their staff.

Sadly, this is the state of the nation, and is actually being done as a design consideration in many new build projects.

I have worked in the security field for a while now .And I can assure you that just about every building that has security measures in place have them for a very good reason .The sad fact is that there are some people who are both deeply disturbed and violent.
In every major office building I have worked I have dealt with people who are addicted to drugs or and alcohol.Some have emotional issues or are mentally ill. Some have marital or parental issues .
I have seen 3" binders just filled with photos and warnings and restraining orders .
Most of the buildings I have worked I suspect that most of the physical infrastructure (door,locks etc.)  might only delay someone who was truly determined . Reality is security is not cheap but most building management companies are. There are also been a few who weren't and I count myself privileged to have had a chance to work for them.
Here in Winnipeg a few years back a guy drove his car into the lobby of The Workman's Compensation Board Building . It also if memory serves something similar has happened not once but at least twice on Parliament Hill.

I have talked to some of the front line workers. They have admitted to me they are genuinely scared right now. Look at the US Postal Service. Disgruntled veteran is right up there with meth addicted  biker and exwife after she finds out you slept with her sister.

Nemo888 said:
I have talked to some of the front line workers. They have admitted to me they are genuinely scared right now. Look at the US Postal Service. Disgruntled veteran is right up there with meth addicted  biker and exwife after she finds out you slept with her sister.
Hey I warned you about that  but you wouldn't listen!  ;)
Seriously though  you are right they are scared and the abuse they take is just incredible I have actually wondered how many of the VAC front line types will eventually be diagnosed with PTSD themselves.
I have worked  a couple of places where one of my duties was was standby during some client interviews where if need be I would have to physically intervene...........

When I worked in CCG, the main threats and bomb threat's, complete with nasty notes, stuck to the walls with a knife and suspicious packages in the stairwells came from disgruntled employees. aimed at the compensation unit, which was not surprising at all. Their idea of a Christmas present was clawing back an overpayment on Dec 15th without notice. the safety glass will prevent the customer getting blood splatter when the employee loses it after hearing just one to many "transitional change messages".

Bluebulldog said:
Many social services office here in ON have the same setup for the very reason cited.

Oh yeah and they really work to :sarcasm:

Sometimes the glass itself and the perception it brings is what sets off a potentially violent client/situation. It can also add to a false sense of security for the staff and restrict other courses of action such as hitting the panic button and/or gettign the hell outta Dodge. Then again what do I know. 8)

Danjanou said:
Oh yeah and they really work to :sarcasm:

Sometimes the glass itself and the perception it brings is what sets off a potentially violent client/situation. It can also add to a false sense of security for the staff and restrict other courses of action such as hitting the panic button and/or gettign the hell outta Dodge. Then again what do I know. 8)

I don't make design decisions, I simply build them. I'm in agreement. Rather than spending $1000s on barriers in the construction process, it is a far better approach to train staff to deal with difficult, and possible threats through non-violent means, and techniques to diffuse these. I also agree that barriers can be a catalyst to more agressive behaviour.

Unforunately the employer has a duty to see that staff are safe, and indeed FEEL safe. in the public sector if a segment identified that they often felt unsafe while deling with clients, then away we go with spending taxpayer dollars to build a fort..........

Bluebulldog said:
Rather than spending $1000s on barriers in the construction process, it is a far better approach to train staff to deal with difficult, and possible threats through non-violent means, and techniques to diffuse these.

( Highlight mine. )

For most employees, if threatened, perhaps retreat ( if possible ) may also be a successful safety strategy.

( For some, S.O.P. prohibits delay of service unless weapons are involved, or there is continuing violence on scene. )

Bluebulldog said:
Unforunately the employer has a duty to see that staff are safe, and indeed FEEL safe.

Perhaps that is not such a bad thing.

A far less sinister explanation would be that it is a precautionary measure against infectious diseases (from people coughing, hacking, sneezing, etc).

Bluebulldog said:
I don't make design decisions, I simply build them. I'm in agreement. Rather than spending $1000s on barriers in the construction process, it is a far better approach to train staff to deal with difficult, and possible threats through non-violent means, and techniques to diffuse these. I also agree that barriers can be a catalyst to more agressive behaviour.

Unforunately the employer has a duty to see that staff are safe, and indeed FEEL safe. in the public sector if a segment identified that they often felt unsafe while deling with clients, then away we go with spending taxpayer dollars to build a fort..........

Seen.  Having done 23 years at the coal face I find they are often counterproductive. More time, effort and money spent  providing proper training such as CPI courses http://www.crisisprevention.com/Specialties/Nonviolent-Crisis-Intervention  would be more cost effective in the long term.  Of course working to eliminate the "threat" in the first place would be nice too. But that ain't going to happen in my lifetime, which is good because I need the paycheque.

Towards_the_gap said:
A far less sinister explanation would be that it is a precautionary measure against infectious diseases (from people coughing, hacking, sneezing, etc).

Yes and no, although new staff are told that (along with the glass is bullet proof). The holes/openings to allow communication pass through documents etc kind of defeat this .  Mind our entire H1N! strategy was to issued every front line worker a small bottle of hand gel a week.  ::)

Danjanou said:
Mind our entire H1N! strategy was to issued every front line worker a small bottle of hand gel a week.  ::)

Ours was written by a worker pretty much on his own time,.....................when our *cough* Deputy Superindentant*cough* saw me walking with a box of paper masks from stores she had the shift I/C come down and try and shit on me because "if his unit has them all the units will expect them". :tempertantrum:

Back