• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

Hillier, Team Canada touch down in Kandahar for ball-hockey rematch 
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Star-struck Canadian soldiers were girding for a battle of a different sort Wednesday as a team of National Hockey League veterans,
the Stanley Cup in tow, touched down on a mission to boost military morale. Gen. Rick Hillier, Canada's chief of defence staff, and Defence Minister Peter MacKay were
also on hand as the towering silver trophy went on display on the tarmac at Kandahar Airfield for the second time in less than a year.

MacKay, who was on his way home after a top-secret three-day visit, likened the mood among the troops to that of a kid on Christmas Eve. "The soldiers on the base
- there's probably a few of them who didn't sleep last night in anticipation of getting to play against some of their heroes, getting to see the Stanley Cup," he said.
"It's just a huge morale boost."

Mark Napier, a two-time Cup winner who played with the Montreal Canadiens and Edmonton Oilers, was among the players who visited last April for several games
against what turned out to be a scrappy team of soldiers. "We've got plenty of beef," Napier grinned. "They pushed us around a little last year, so we brought a little
more muscle." That includes enforcers like former Canadiens winger Chris Nilan and Bob Probert, who racked up more than 3,000 penalty minutes over a 15-year
career with the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks.

Conspicuous by his absence, however, was legendary tough guy Tiger Williams, who was expected to make the trip but ended up being delayed in Yellowknife, Napier
said. "When we were thinking about people to come, y'know, the troops love the tough guys, so this year we loaded up with tough guys," he said. "I'm sure the troops
will love having a chat with them, get their autographs and just generally take their minds off the war for a while." Also on the ground at Kandahar Airfield were
country-rock crooners Blue Rodeo, Montreal rocker Jonas Tomalty, Newfoundland songstress Lori Anna Reid and singer-songwriter Gregg Lawless.

But there was little doubt that the true star attraction was hockey's gleaming Holy Grail. "For Canadians, I mean, this symbolizes something that every young boy or girl
grows up dreaming about - playing for the Stanley Cup
," MacKay said. The group arrived via military transport, which can often be a daunting experience for first-timers
who aren't used to what's typically a sharp and steep landing manoeuvre.

Despite a propensity for air sickness, Jim Cuddy, Blue Rodeo's lead singer, said he rather enjoyed watching the landing from the cockpit, along with Tomalty and former
Toronto Maple Leaf Mike Gartner. "We had that Hercules just kind of singing up there," Gartner said of the landing. "We were able to watch the great skill of the pilots
as they manoeuvred this great, huge flying dump truck into (Kandahar Airfield)."

Hillier and the players mingled briefly on the tarmac with MacKay as soldiers posed for photos with Hillier, the minister and the cup. Hillier, an outspoken and long-suffering
Leafs fan, took great delight in pointing out where on the cup he hopes - nay, expects - to see his team's name etched after the playoffs. "This is the location right here,"
he said, only half-jokingly. "It's blank right now, but this is where the Toronto Maple Leaf roster will be in June of this year." MacKay couldn't resist jabbing back. "And
here's the last time they were on the cup, right here," he said, pointing to the names of the 1967 champions.

Before winging his way back to Ottawa, MacKay said it will be an invaluable opportunity for soldiers to recharge their batteries in an environment known for back-breaking
work, long hours and the ever-present threat to life and limb. "It's an escape from the day-to-day challenges and the real work that they're doing here," he said. "To have
a nice little repose, a little opportunity to engage in some friendly competition, to play with these NHL stars, to listen to Blue Rodeo ... brings them home. It's a piece of home in Kandahar."

Both Hillier and Brig.-Gen. Guy Larose, the senior Canadian commander in Afghanistan, are expected to suit up Thursday for the first of several games between soldiers
and the NHL players.

Article link

Well, I don't know what kind of girl Mr. McKay knows, but I didn't dream of playing for the Stanley cup...
I hope that they will make an article about the KAF games.

Mike Baker said:
Can't wait to see who wins :D

Well, then, you may have biais if you can't tell who win between soldiers and NFL NHL hockey players  :) !  :-X

I had difficulty finding that article in English...

The Toronto Sun , March 21, 2008 Friday , Pg. 7., BY LANCE HORNBY, SUN MEDIA

Troops take on pros under the Afghan sun

Cpl. Joanne Lyster volunteered for a dangerous assignment yesterday, but could laugh about it afterward.

With only a few minutes' notice, she donned goaltending equipment in 26C afternoon tempertures to mop up for the Canadian Army's ball hockey team. They were
in the midst of being slaughtered by a high-powered, highly motivated visiting NHL team in front of a few hundred armed forces personnel and chief of defence staff
General Rick Hillier.

9-2 FOR THE PROS

Lyster, an MP from Edmonton, fared better than the male counterparts who opened the floodgates in the 9-2 loss, allowing just one goal. "I had played net at Grant
McEwen College a few years ago, but you don't play a lot of ice hockey here," Lyster said with a laugh. "The goalie that was supposed to play the third period didn't
show. I was nervous at first, because I've never faced a shooter like Mike Gartner, but I made a couple of saves." Lyster walked away with a Blue Rodeo CD in her
catching mitt, from NHL recruit Jim Cuddy, though fellow guitarist and hockey enthusiast Greg Keelor twisted his ankle before sucking it up for an evening concert
for the troops.

More than 100 men and women attended four tryouts for about 36 coveted spots to play Team Canada, which included Hall of Famer Gartner and two-time Cup
champion Mark Napier. Air force Capt. Steve Jeffrys, of Fort Erie, also had a thrill, playing the second period for overheated ex-Leaf Mark LaForest.

EASY TUNE-UP

With Chris Nilan, Bob Probert, Troy Crowder and Stu Grimson here and not about to let their tough guy reputations slip in front of this audience, the NHLers had
an easy tune-up for future games against select U.S. and Canadian teams. For Trenton's Don Doyle, a civilian contractor working with the army and going a bit stir
crazy here after five months, it was a memorable game. "The most fun I've had since I came here, because hockey is the only form of entertainment for some of us,"
said Doyle. "I took out Napier with a hit, I had an assist, Stu Grimson gave me a hockey nickname, the Doyler, and TSN's Jennifer Hedger (here to host the games
and the concert) called me the Doyler twice."

3 photos (not shown on link) 1. photo by James Mccarten, CP Blue Rodeo's Greg Keelor and Brig.-Gen. Guy Laroche get into the action during a ball hockey game in Kandahar yesterday. In addition to Laroche, the commander of Canadian forces in Afghanistan, the Canadian Forces team included Gen. Rick Hillier, Canada's chief of defence staff. 2. 2 photos by Ronald Duchesne, Combat Camera Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Rick Hillier, shakes hands with former two-time Cup champion NHL Mark Napier in Kandahar.

Link

Yrys said:
Well, then, you may have biais if you can't tell who win between soldiers and NFL hockey players  :) !
National Football League hockey players? ;D ;)

Troops dazzled visiting NHLers

KANDAHAR -- This was the ultimate road trip for NHLers Dave Hutchison, Bob Probert and Mark Napier.

The trio joined Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. executive vice-president and COO Tom Anselmi to experience a night "outside the wire" of Kandahar Airfield
in that part of Afghanistan where Taliban activity is much higher. Accompanied by Canadian Forces personnel, they travelled by helicopter to visit several forward
operating bases near the hot spots of Taliban activity. "Absolutely wild," Hutchison said. "The troops are about as old as my kids, but you can't believe how little
our troops have to exist on out there. Our tent had an inch of dust on the ground, yet it was considered the penthouse suite. And all these soldiers came up to us
to thank us for coming when it's us who should be thanking them."

The Taliban scatter whenever the multinational task force brings out its big weaponry, but it's still able to launch crude missles, usually old Soviet ordnance on timed
fuses that land harmlessly around KAF. "We also saw some Afghans who have to carve a trench out of the mountain just to get a little water," Hutchison said. The
Team Canada group was also allowed to take part in a simulated field exercise with body armour, paintball type ammunition and balaclavas.

Anselmi knew of the conditions here from last year's visit to the KAF hospital. A father had walked miles to bring in his young daughter, whose leg had been blown off
and one eye blinded by the same Taliban mine that killed her two brothers. Just as the Canadian doctors had stabilized her, hoping to send her to a military hospital
in Germany, the father returned from burying his sons and discharged his daughter. Her fate remains unknown.

"Throughout the day and night we were gone, we saw a lot of ways that Canadians are making a difference," Anselmi said. "We flew over fields that had been empty
a few years ago and now there were farmers waving at us. "There was a Red Cross school which the Taliban had attacked and killed people a couple of years ago
that is now operating again. "We saw where our Provincial Reconstruction Team has been building roads and putting the Afghans to work, instead of letting them
get recruited by the Taliban."

The latter's ability to bribe the locals into opposing the multinational effort, usually through drug money, is hampering Canadian attempts to bring stability. The route
home included an eventful drive through Kandahar City, which has its share of poverty, but has seen a spike in population after many fled the Taliban.

"There were people sleeping on the side of the road and traffic whipping past them," an amazed Hutchison said. "There wasn't any traffic control to speak of."

Link

Yrys said:
Well, then, you may have biais if you can't tell who win between soldiers and NFL NHL hockey players  :) !  :-X

Well it probably ended like any other army ball hockey game "next goal wins"  ;D

I would like to be the first to suggest what would be a perfect job for General Hillier:  Canada'a next ambassador to Afghanistan.
Any thoughts.

DFAIT and Gen Hillier have had at best a rocky past; even if appointed, I can't see DFAIT doing much to support him.

The one thing I'm certain of is that it won't be tyhis:

http://www.grokdotcom.com/wp-content/uploads/Bryan/walmart_facebook.jpg

As a wild stab, how about the NATO envoy to Afghanistan? I am thinking about the job for which  the Afghans vetoed Paddy Ashdown's nomination.

Old Sweat said:
As a wild stab, how about the NATO envoy to Afghanistan? I am thinking about the job for which  the Afghans vetoed Paddy Ashdown's nomination.
I just found this from a Dec 07 article:
"NATO foreign ministers discussed Friday the possible appointment of an international "super envoy" to coordinate civilian and military efforts better in Afghanistan."
It does sound perfect for General Hillier.

Gazoo said:
I just found this from a Dec 07 article:
"NATO foreign ministers discussed Friday the possible appointment of an international "super envoy" to coordinate civilian and military efforts better in Afghanistan."
It does sound perfect for General Hillier.

Would that be Class B or Class C?  As an annuitant, he would only work 330 days per year.

Haggis said:
Would that be Class B or Class C?  As an annuitant, he would only work 330 days per year.

Just because he gives up the CDS job, doesn't necessarily mean he needs to Retire, as demonstrated by the previous CDS, Gen Heneault, who went off to NATO.

Carbon-14 said:
From the CDS's email:
I have chosen to retire from the Canadian Forces...

I have heard that before.  Samething.  An offer came in for Brussels and it was taken.  Now he is back in NDHQ and my boss once again.  People given the right offer will make up their minds as to what they want. 

George Wallace said:
Just because he gives up the CDS job, doesn't necessarily mean he needs to Retire, as demonstrated by the previous CDS, Gen Heneault, who went off to NATO.

True, but why not "double dip" as a Toon?

Haggis said:
True, but why not "double dip" as a Toon?

Too much time off.  35 Unpaid days Lve.  20 -25 days Paid Lve.  A work-a-holics worse nightmare.  ;D

George Wallace said:
Too much time off.  35 Unpaid days Lve.  20 -25 days Paid Lve.  A work-a-holics worse nightmare.   ;D

Well, he can be like the rest of the "temp help" crowd: having a leave pass just means you can come to work in civvies every day. ::)

Gazoo said:
I would like to be the first to suggest what would be a perfect job for General Hillier:  Canada'a next ambassador to Afghanistan.
Any thoughts.

I said that yesterday at work. You know what they say about people who think alike eh?

Back