• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

Yep, was definately aware of that difference.  Thanks for the history and info.

cheers

PV

Two rather senior British generals, and one retired--why the hoo-hah about Gen. Hillier unless our pundits are oblivious as to what occurs in the original constitutional monarchy with a Westminster parliamentary system (usual copyright caveats)?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/11/23/dl2301.xml

In the space of little more than a week, three of the country's most distinguished soldiers have spoken of an impending crisis in our Armed Forces.

The Chief of the Defence Staff, Sir Jock Stirrup, led the charge in this newspaper, warning that the covenant between the military and the people was "under stress" because too much was being asked of our unappreciated soldiery. Sir Richard Dannatt, the Chief of the General Staff, took up the theme last weekend, saying that troops felt "devalued and angry".

And this week General Sir Mike Jackson, former head of the Army, went further and called for a fundamental re-think of the way the defence budget is spent.

New manpower figures published by the Ministry of Defence yesterday validate these concerns. They show that there has been a 50 per cent rise in the level of Army under-manning in the past year. This is not a recruitment problem - that is holding up well: it is a retention problem.

The grind of back-to-back tours of duty in two war zones, the frequently shabby accommodation to which war-weary soldiers return and the consequent pressures on family life are all contributing to the exodus. Over the past year, the number quitting the Army has risen by 10 per cent. The greater the number who leave, the more the pressure on those who remain. It is a vicious circle that needs to be broken.

At the root of the problem is the fact that the Armed Forces are being asked to do more than at any time in the past half-century, but the concomitant resources have not been made available. This week's death of two SAS soldiers when a Puma helicopter came down helps to illustrate the point.

The Puma has been in service since 1971. The Nimrod reconnaissance aircraft, one of which crashed last year in Afghanistan, has been in service since 1967. In military terms this is prehistoric. How often in recent years have we heard ministers assure us that soldiers on the front line will get the best equipment, and as much of it as they need? Of course they should - but they are not.

General Jackson went to the heart of the problem on Tuesday. He argued that the £31 billion defence budget is not only inadequate, given the demands of fighting on two fronts, but is also unbalanced. Urging a national debate on defence equipment priorities, Sir Mike gave the strongest hint that some immensely costly procurement programmes (of which there are many) should be re-assessed so that more resources can be directed where they are most needed - to the front line.

The post-9/11 world argues for highly mobile soldiery, rather than for more submarines, for example. The time is fast approaching when a choice will have to be made between over-priced kit or under-valued soldiers.

The good old Canadian bubble of, dare one say it, self-centred  and self-important ignorance?

After all we must do something, in terms of ministerial importance (rather than policy significance, but what can we do anyway?) about Pakistan:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071121.HARPER21/TPStory/National

But then we did the needful (hah!) anyway:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071122/queen_uganda_071122/20071122?hub=CTVNewsAt11

Yet somehow I doubt too many are listening:
http://communities.canada.com/nationalpost/blogs/posted/archive/2007/11/22/canada-on-the-world-stage-censuring-iran-and-booting-pakistan-out-of-the-commonwealth.aspx

Canada has been making some noise on the world stage in the last few days...

Whereas the Dutch may soon be talking:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22807814-12377,00.html

Mark
Ottawa

I kind of had an inkling why the CDS is a popular guy with those he leads, but in case there was any doubt, here's what he said when my colleagues in the Parliamentary Press Gallery asked him about the retraction made by the PM's communications director, Sandra Buckler. She had said that DND did not inform PMO that detainee transfers had stopped -- widely seen in Ottawa as a swipe at the CDS - and then she called to retract, saying she had "misspoke". The CDS was on a rare holiday with his wife in the Caribbean when this happened.  Here's what he said today:

"I was on the beach in the Dominican Republic and I had a little break and I heard about that and —- can I say this without everyone beating up on me across Canada? — I was on my third rum-and-coke and I really didn’t give a damn."

More "unplugged" Hillier over at our blog:
http://politicsblog.ctv.ca/blog/_archives/2008/2/1/3500644.html

Cheers!

Well, I love the guy because he has the extremely uncanny ability to remember my name every time I see him (and I am not anyone important). But it helps that he says what he means rather than what he thinks should be said. Maybe some of our politicians should try that!

MG

DavidAkin said:
I kind of had an inkling why the CDS is a popular guy with those he leads, but in case there was any doubt, here's what he said when my colleagues in the Parliamentary Press Gallery asked him about the retraction made by the PM's communications director, Sandra Buckler. She had said that DND did not inform PMO that detainee transfers had stopped -- widely seen in Ottawa as a swipe at the CDS - and then she called to retract, saying she had "misspoke". The CDS was on a rare holiday with his wife in the Caribbean when this happened.  Here's what he said today:

"I was on the beach in the Dominican Republic and I had a little break and I heard about that and —- can I say this without everyone beating up on me across Canada? — I was on my third rum-and-coke and I really didn’t give a damn."

More "unplugged" Hillier over at our blog:
http://politicsblog.ctv.ca/blog/_archives/2008/2/1/3500644.html

Cheers!

That would be the CDS I know and love.

I can't imagine another politician (and yes, CDS is in the political sphere) who could say that and not only get away with it, but increase his popularity.

He's a good man to smoke cigars with - I recommend the experience to any who might have an opportunity to do so.

Roy Harding said:
....He's a good man to smoke cigars with - I recommend the experience to any who might have an opportunity to do so.

:salute:

He has "KISS" down pat.....beautiful!!  Thanks David

Rick for PM!!!! ;D

I'd follow him to hell and back and then back again. He is a true soldiers, soldier.

Listened to that piece on the drive from Shilo to Winnipeg today, laughed my cakehole off! +1 to the CDS.

Hope the three "rum and coke" he had on the beach was "Screech and Coke".
Since the CDS is from that part of the country. :cheers:

On a more serious note, he is doing a damn fine job as CDS. He is an inspiration to all those who wear the CF uniform.

All CF members stand taller and walk prouder with Gen. Hillier as their CDS.

Those who follow in his footsteps now have a workable template to learn from if they so please.

He speaks what he feels, this mans great.

Best CDS in my lifetime so far :salute:

He is leadership personnified, a soldier among soldiers and my hero. 

:salute:

Saw your General at the Leafs/Sens game tonite on t.v.He exudes power and confidence,and I can certainly see why the people in uniform admire him.I think he is the right man at the right time,and I respect his opinion far more than any of the politicians.I wish they would just let him talk openly and honestly..but that would pi** off a lot of the loony left.And who the H cares if the Gen.had a rum or 3?I think he deserves some R&R.

Well, i just re-read this topic, and how about the changes in the past 3 years.  Predictions that Gen Hillier would be a political flunky are right out the window.  However, the his beliefs that tanks and attack choppers are not needed by the military have been completely changed.  While I do believe that he does have an 'army-centric' view, right now the army is doing the majority (not all by any means) of the force projection, and therefore, IMHO, deserves the most attention.  How many people on this forum have had there views changed radically in the past 3 years about our CDS?

In my opinion, we have a true leader in the CDS. He is not afraid to speak his mind publicly, however as of late he has toned it down. One can only imagine what he says when he speaks to his inner circle, or the MND. One can only imagine what he says when he briefs PM, who is a pretty plain speaker for a politician.
I lived through the days of generals who thought they were polticians saying and doing what please the party in power at the time. Notice I said generals....most admirals spoke their minds and then resigned in disgust.
The soldiers, sailors and airmen who serve our country deserve good leadership, and I do beleive we have it in General Hillier. :cdn:

The politicians and media pundints do not know how to deal with him. They are so used to a bland shell of a man (the have all been men) who parrots the party line that a dynamic personality throws them for a loop.

FSTO said:
The politicians and media pundints do not know how to deal with him....

...especially after he's had three rum-and-cokes on a beach in the Dominican Republic.  Bless the man for his no duff, straight shooting style.  Refreshing indeed!

G2G

Back