• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

Quite the treat for the troops in KAF, hopefully some of the BG guys got to see it on some R&R in KAF.

Good on Gen. Hiller and the ex NHLers going over with the cup.

It really was a treat.

Kind of a wind-down, and a lot of people there. I never in my life thought I'd be near the cup with a rifle on my back, that's for sure. Lot's of entertainment, and some really nice people.

Nice interview with him and a M/Cpl on Coach's Corner last night also.

Wow, that is amazing. It was good of Gen. Hiller the ex NHL stars to do that for the troops.

:cdn:

MikeM said:
Quite the treat for the troops in KAF, hopefully some of the BG guys got to see it on some R&R in KAF.

Good on Gen. Hiller and the ex NHLers going over with the cup.

as a member of h coy, yes we are in, festivities are still rockin:):) oh yea, and its great posing with the cup with your weapon, has a cool factor civies love, lol

J-Swift said:
oh yea, and its great posing with the cup with your weapon, has a cool factor civies love, lol

It really is. The BBQ was awesome, and it's fun to get everyone together...A good time for sure!

Sig_Des said:
It really is. The BBQ was awesome, and it's fun to get everyone together...A good time for sure!
Did you drink out of the Stanley Cup?  ;)

It was a great night. the beer was cold, the BBQ was good and the CDS was his charismatic self.... I had the priviledge of hearing him talk when he spoke with H-Coy earlier in the afternoon as well, and I was moved.. He is increadably down to earth very freindly and probabbly one of the best things to happen to the CF in the past 20-30 years!

those who have met him or heard him speak know what im talking about. hes just plain and simple a great guy.

im hopeing to get a pic with the cup tonight since i missed it last night!

cheers
  Tommy

Good time had by all !
    Hockey game, Beer, the cup, ex-NHLers, And Hillier it just doesn't get much better than that !    :salute:

Chimo from Kandahar !

Hillier arrives in Kandahar for surprise visit
Updated Mon. Oct. 22 2007 9:50 AM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

Canada's chief of defence staff, Gen. Rick Hillier, arrived at the Kandahar airfield for a surprise visit with Canadian troops on Monday.

This is Hillier's first visit to Afghanistan since Quebec's Royal 22nd Regiment was deployed in July. He arrived in a Hercules aircraft accompanied by Canadian soldiers returning from leave.

Canada's top soldier was met on the tarmac by Brig.-Gen. Guy Laroche.

CTV's South Asia Bureau Chief Paul Workman said Hiller's visit is likely a routine trip where he will gather information about the mission and spend time with soldiers in the field.

"It's mid-period of this rotation of Van Doos and that's probably why he's here," Workman said.

It's unknown how long he will stay in the country. Hillier, often described as an "accessible general," is expected to address the media later in the week.

Workman said it's standard practice for senior commanding officers not to reveal their travel plans ahead of departure for "operational security reasons."

Hiller's visit marks the second round of senior commanding officers to visit Afghanistan in less than a week. Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie, Canada's top army general, and Maj.-Gen. Stuart Beare, commander of the Land Force Doctrine and Training System, arrived in the country last week to visit every forward-operating base in the province.

Hiller's visit comes less than a week after the Conservative government proposed extending the Canadian mission in Afghanistan until 2011 instead of 2009.

Workman said Hillier is unlikely to address the latest political developments.
More on link

Though it's occasionally a pain in the a$$ to have VIPs showing up all the time, it's even worse when you never get the chance to see "the big cheese".

Excellent that the CDS is taking the time to lead from the front & not from the boardroom.

CHIMO!

Hopefully I'll get to meet him while he's here!

I was reading on G&M and on the comment boards for the article. You'd swear by some of the comments there is some great comsiracy going on or that the CDS is going over to boost morale cause all the soldiers there are going to be there until 2011.

If ignorance was bliss, some G&M readers must be in heaven.

General Hillier is the best thing to happen to the Forces hope there is more like him :salute:

The field army is at war, like it or not.  The Navy is not, and neither is the air force.  Therefore, in my opinion, a general from the feild army should be leading the forces.  If the navy were at war, then likewise.  And if all three branches are at war, the again, it should be a field army general.  Here's a question, just cause you have to be bilingual to be CDS, does that mean you have to continually switch languages when speaking to troops?  In Bosnia on Roto 11 the last CDS (RCAF one) spoke to a all english weatern Canada based rifle company in french and english, and nobody had a clue what he said.  But I guarentee he wasn't talking about killing scumbags because he was a politician more than a leader.

Kiwi99 said:
and neither is the air force. 

Is that so ?

I'll remember that next time theres a CC-130 doing an air drop of supplies into an FOB or other similar location or taking your sorry a** out of the Ghan so you can enjoy your LTA.

almost forgot.....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/05/31/chinook-afghanistan.html

Is that an Air Force beret and cap badge i see.......

Wait...theres more......

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=1703#athena

A Tactical Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (TUAV) unit comprised primarily of personnel from 438 Tactical Helicopter Squadron (438 ETAH) based in St-Hubert, Quebec, and members from 5 RALC in Valcartier;

Back