• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The current navy uniform

Sailorwest said:
I was of the opinion that it was a bone thrown to sailors who were being told that they can't have a beard anymore in seagoing billets.  Probably not true but the decisions seemed to come out one in close succession.

Safety issues versus dress and decorum issues? I would think they are probably unrelated.

I finally found one of our sailors wearing a set of the new NCDs. I commented on the Velcro pockets wearing out. The conversation turned to the small DEU buttons and I mentioned the big buttons from the old olive drab uniforms that could be opened with gloves on.

I was amazed when one of these new sailors (less than 2 years experience) wanted to see a Naval version of CADPAT vice the old or new NCDs. When I mentioned, I am used to the days of wearing salt and peppers to work daily, he was stunned.

The conversation was a reminder how the changes in dress affect the current members of the CF.

kratz said:
I was amazed when one of these new sailors (less than 2 years experience) wanted to see a Naval version of CADPAT vice the old or new NCDs.
Interesting. I just spent a couple of weeks on a US ship and every one of the US sailors I talked to hated the new "navy camo" uniform that are being phased in (these guys had just started wearing them). I guess the grass really is always greener.

hamiltongs said:
Interesting. I just spent a couple of weeks on a US ship and every one of the US sailors I talked to hated the new "navy camo" uniform that are being phased in (these guys had just started wearing them). I guess the grass really is always greener.

Of course they hate them, they have to be the ugliest uniform designed after the former Garrison dress of the 90's which looked like something from a Canadian Tire nightmare.  Mind you the RAN cammo looks damn ugly too.  Some Armchair Admiral's idea no doubt.  Perhaps they thought morale was not low enough.

It has now happenned - Unfortunately I was running late after having dropped someone off at the Dkyd and heading up to Stad (and in civis on a DWAD Friday), otherwise, I would have been all over this guy. I saw someone  getting out of his car wearing FF coveralls with a grean cammo jacket and black ship's ball cap - looked horrendous, embarassing.... I wondered how long it would take one sh**head to potentially ruin this!
Hindsight being 20/20, I should have stopped and been late for work.

Pat in Halifax said:
It has now happenned - Unfortunately I was running late after having dropped someone off at the Dkyd and heading up to Stad (and in civis on a DWAD Friday), otherwise, I would have been all over this guy. I saw someone  getting out of his car wearing FF coveralls with a grean cammo jacket and black ship's ball cap - looked horrendous, embarassing.... I wondered how long it would take one sh**head to potentially ruin this!

From MARGEN 034/09:

THE NAVY BLACK UNIT BALLCAP (RED FOR SEA TRAINING) MAY NOW BE WORN AS AN ALTERNATIVE, OPTIONAL ITEM WITH NAVAL COMBAT DRESS ASHORE OR ANYWHERE THAT NCDS ARE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR.

Emphasis mine. Very clearly that individual was not authorized to be wearing that particular get-up.

gcclarke said:
From MARGEN 034/09:

Emphasis mine. Very clearly that individual was not authorized to be wearing that particular get-up.

As a FF, the coverall IS his ship board dress equivillant not NCD.  Therefore he should be in the right despite it looking not pretty.

jollyjacktar said:
As a FF, the coverall IS his ship board dress equivillant not NCD.  Therefore he should be in the right despite it looking not pretty.

Equivalent, perhaps, but the MARGEN doesn't say "NCDs or equivalent".  Had the intention been to include coveralls the drafter would probably have said so.

Are coveralls authorized as a walking-our rig in the first place?

I was under the impression that you could not mix and match the uniforms. If the FF wanted to wear his coveralls as a walking out rig would he not have to wear the Air Force blue Gortex jacket and beret? If he was in CADPAT then he would wear the CADPAT jacket and beret.

Pat in Halifax said:
Was this individual a CF Fire Service type, if that's the name of the organization? Or definitely CF proper? In other words, do these regs even apply?

quadrapiper said:
Was this individual a CF Fire Service type, if that's the name of the organization? Or definitely CF proper? In other words, do these regs even apply?

Yes, we're talking about one of these guys: www.forces.ca/html/firefighter_reg_en.aspx

Although it's an Air Force only trade, they often serve aboard HMC Ships. ... Not sure about the subs.

Firefighters are allowed to walk in and out in their coveralls. They no longer have blue jackets just Cadpat ones. So he was properly attired. Not sure about the ballcap though.

Back