• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Chuck Cadman Merged Thread

Bane

Inactive
Reaction score
Given the penchant of the Mop & Pail, and other MSM, to sling dirt, I'll wait to hear both sides before making any considerations. We all know how selective they can make their sound bites.

I knew that Harper wanted to the PM badly, I just didnt realize how bad. He certainly was aware of this bribe.

In the article, he is quote has acknowledging the meeting, but not the details of the offer...

"Of the offer to Chuck," he quotes Mr. Harper as saying, "it was only to replace financial considerations he might lose due to an election, OK. That's
my understanding of what they were talking about.

"I don't know the details," he said. "I can tell you that I had told the individuals - I mean, they wanted to do it - but I told them they were wasting their time.
I said Chuck had made up his mind he was going to vote with the Liberals. I knew why, and I respected the decision, but they were just, they were convinced
there was, there was financial issues and, there may or may not. "They were legitimately representing the party," Mr. Harper confirmed. "I said 'Don't press him,
I mean, you have this theory that it's, you know, financial insecurity, and you know, just, you know, if that's what you say make the case,' but I said 'Don't press it.' "

sgf said:
I knew that Harper wanted to the PM badly, I just didnt realize how bad. He certainly was aware of this bribe.

::)

I knew sgf wanted to sling mud badly, I just didn't realize how bad.  She certainly is aware of her posting style.

Sorry I just realized there is already a version of this.  Sorry.

From http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=339195

Dying MP offered $1M to topple grits: book

Cadman rejected life insurance deal, author says

Canwest News Service  Published: Thursday, February 28, 2008
Story Tools

OTTAWA - An upcoming biography about the late Chuck Cadman, an independent MP from B.C. who, in 2005, became pivotal in keeping the minority Liberals alive, claims two people representing the Tories offered him a $1-million life insurance policy to bring down the government.

According to an excerpt of the book Like A Rock, obtained by the Vancouver Sun, author Tom Zytaruk quotes Mr. Cadman's wife, Dona, as saying that Conservative party reps visited her husband's office two days before a confidence vote that could have triggered an election.

Mr. Cadman's was the deciding vote.

"The Tories actually walked in with a list of offers written down on a piece of paper," says an excerpt from the book. "Included in their proposal was a million-dollar life insurance policy -- no small carrot for a man with advanced cancer."

The book says Ms. Cadman told the author the offer "pissed him right off," and her husband threw the pair out of his office.

"He just said that he was insulted and that he was ashamed to have been part of the Conservative party."

The Conservative party reps took the list with them when they were ushered out the door, the book says.

Mr. Cadman, who turned down the offer, died two months later of skin cancer.

A statement from the Prime Minister's office released last night said Stephen Harper "at no time directed any party official to make any kind of financial arrangement with Chuck Cadman."

On Sept. 9, 2005,Mr. Harper visited Dona at her home. During that visit, Dona asked him about the story, said the statement.

On the same day, Mr. Zytaruk also asked Mr. Harper about the same story.

"The then leader of the Opposition looked into the matter with party officials and could find no confirmation," said the statement from the Prime Minister's Office. "And that is the last time he heard anything regarding this matter."

The book says Mr. Harper told Mr. Zytaruk that a financial offer made to Mr. Cadman by Tory reps "was only to replace financial considerations he might lose due to an election ... That's my understanding of what they were talking about."

It says Mr. Harper also confirmed to the author that the two visitors to Mr. Cadman's office were "legitimately representing the party."

Ryan Sparrow, Conservative party spokesman, refused to comment on the allegations, referring a reporter to the PMO statement.

Treasury Board chairman Vic Toews, a Manitoba Conservative MP who knew Mr. Cadman well, said, "He would never take money to sacrifice his legislative principles, I'd bet my life on it.

"He cared about legislation, not money. We've heard this story for years. It's bulls--t."

One small question: how much do you think the premium would be for a million dollar life insurance policy for a terminally-ill man?

Rescue Randy said:
Old Sweat has nailed it.  This is just a drive by smear.

Let's have a little perspective here folks.  The Globe and Mail has not made the allegation - it has merely reported it.  It is the widow who has alledged that there was a bribe.

I knew sgf wanted to sling mud badly, I just didn't realize how bad.  She certainly is aware of her posting style.

Uncalled for.

PPCLI Guy is right. This is not necessarily an attempt at a smear. It is, however, an account of an event that requires deeper research than it seems to have received.

Old Sweat said:
One small question: how much do you think the premium would be for a million dollar life insurance policy for a terminally-ill man?

a million dollars a month.

Old Sweat said:
PPCLI Guy is right. This is not necessarily an attempt at a smear. It is, however, an account of an event that requires deeper research than it seems to have received.

I don't think it'll get, or has, much traction. Even my left wing, anti CPC newspaper, buried it on the back page. One small column. The dippers and libs will try make some hay, but I find the lack of details and the timing of the announcement suspect at best.

Well I think the timing is to sell books, but this is not a smear, or a drive by or slinging mud.. what was said in the book is the truth. People may not want to admit that but at the end of the day the Tory Party offered a million dollars to Cadman for his vote.

I suspect this has been going on and continues to go on throughout all parties of whatever stripe...  that's why they call them backroom deals..

sgf said:
Well I think the timing is to sell books, but this is not a smear, or a drive by or slinging mud.. what was said in the book is the truth. People may not want to admit that but at the end of the day the Tory Party offered a million dollars to Cadman for his vote.

- Prove it.

I find it interesting that the globe and mail reports that the Prime Minister knew of the incident with the following

"They were legitimately representing the party," Mr. Harper confirmed. "I said 'Don't press him, I mean, you have this theory that it's, you know, financial insecurity, and you know, just, you know, if that's what you say make the case,' but I said 'Don't press it.' "

And now according to this report he is denying the incident

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n022854A.xml

GLORIA GALLOWAY AND BRIAN LAGHI

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

February 28, 2008 at 4:22 AM EST

OTTAWA — The widow of former B.C. MP Chuck Cadman says two Conservative Party officials offered her husband a million-dollar life insurance policy in exchange for his vote to bring down the Liberal government in May of 2005.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is quoted in the book, Like a Rock: The Chuck Cadman Story, as confirming that a visit took place, and that officials were "legitimately" representing the Conservative Party. But he says any offer to Mr. Cadman was only to defray losses he might incur in an election.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080227.wcadmann0227/BNStory/Front

Rodahn said:
I find it interesting that the globe and mail reports that the Prime Minister knew of the incident with the following

"They were legitimately representing the party," Mr. Harper confirmed. "I said 'Don't press him, I mean, you have this theory that it's, you know, financial insecurity, and you know, just, you know, if that's what you say make the case,' but I said 'Don't press it.' "

I wonder if the widow would make this up?

Rodahn said:

I don't read the same thing at the beginning of the article.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper denied that party agents offered inducements to Chuck Cadman before a vote that could have toppled the former Liberal government in May 2005.
But Harper said the independent MP was quoted on national television as saying the only offer he ever received was a Conservative nomination.

He seems to talk about the ,money inducement, not the meeting.

Back