• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CCV and the Infantry

Kirkhill

Fair Scunnert WASP.
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Can I jump in and ask why we couldn't create composite MBT/CCV Squadrons equivalent to the US Cavalry Troops which comprise 9 MBT (1+4+4) and 13 CCV (1+6+6) with 2 Mortar Carriers?

The US Squadron (Regiment) comprises 3 of the previous Troops (Squadrons) with an extra 14 Tank Company (Squadron) in the TOE.

3x9 + 14 + 2 = 43
3x13 = 39

To my understanding those numbers x3 are VERRRY close to the numbers of MBTs and CCVs being purchased.

If there aren't enough vehicles to go round then turn the Regiment into 2 Composite Squadrons and a Small (14) MBT Squadron.

If there are extra Blackhat numbers to fill the slots then they could either go to the Recce Squadron (TAPV/LAV-LRSS) or ride as GIBs/Panzergrenadiers in the CCVs.

Kirkhill said:
why we couldn't create composite MBT/CCV Squadrons equivalent to the US Cavalry Troops which comprise 9 MBT (1+4+4) and 13 CCV (1+6+6) with 2 Mortar Carriers?

We could, but we aren't building Cavalry units.

The 3 CCV-equipped companies will have tracked mech in Canada, but it is not necessarily what they will deploy with (I know, sounds crazy).  Those Infantry Companies need to be prepared to go armoured, mech or motorized when they are force employed on operations.

Having hybrid sub-units makes force generating "general" infantry much more difficult - although I can guarantee you that Rotos 1 through 8 of the next mission will need Rifle Companies, I can't tell you they'll need tanks or hybrid armoured combat teams.  Building hybrid sub-units and breaking them up right away doesn't sound useful.  We can build combat teams with exisiting doctrine that is ingrained right from the beginning in Gagetown.

Put the CCVs into the RCAC and you gain more platforms for them to train on, platforms that are related to each other and which will be employed together, and the RCAC types that aren't crewing will be riding.  Thus you gain additional "infanteer" assaulters who also are in a position to learn how to operate and maintain tracked vehicles.

Leave LAVs and TAPVs with the Infantry.

Your infantry are going to have enough on their plates learning how to conduct arctic, mountain, heli and amphibious/riverine ops as well as jungle and desert ops as well as dismounted ops as well as COIN ops as well as mounted (LAV) and mounted (TAPV) ops as well as learning how to fall out of aeroplanes when and if the situation merits.

And you need Cavalry - you are a very, very, very small force.  Cavalry, especially Heavy Cavalry, is a multi-role force capable acting independently in a variety of situations as well as being able to detach a formed Combat Team to heavy up an infantry Battle Group.

Equally, although unlikely, Two MBT/CCV Regiments together with a LAV Battalion, backed by an M777 Regiment and a LRPRS Battery, would make a credible, "short term" addition to any Allied intervention.

"A multi-role force capable acting independently in a variety of situations" sounds like Infantry to me.  I don't know why you call it Cavalry.  Nor do I see the sense having the the Armoured Corps crew some of the Infantry's vehicles but not others.  Would we ask the Armoured Corps to have EMEs drive their tanks for them?  As we live and fight from our vehicles when necessary, the guy driving it should be part of the same team, not some stranger from another unit who brings the vehicle once in a while.

You list a group of environments ("desert", "jungle", "mountain" - tanks also do this), some ways to move around ("helo", "airborne", "amphibious", "mounted" and "dismounted"), and a political condition (counter-insurgency; tanks do this too).  These are all circumstantial to the core infantry task - the fact of the matter is a vehicle is a vital tool for an Infantry commander to accomplish that core task due to what it brings in terms of mobility, firepower, protection and sensors.  The fact that we can work with it or without it with little real cost is even better - that's what makes us a "multi-role force capable of acting independently in a variety of situations".

Infanteer said:
"A multi-role force capable acting independently in a variety of situations" sounds like Infantry to me. 

I know it does.  It does to me as well.

I don't know why you call it Cavalry. 

Because the alternative is to call it Mounted Infantry - but I am trying to find a way to better utilize the RCAC than reducing them to drivers of armoured trucks (TAPVs) many of whom will be sans vehicules - at least according to some suggestions that I have seen.

Nor do I see the sense having the the Armoured Corps crew some of the Infantry's vehicles but not others.

I have suggested this idea in the past.  That is not what I am suggesting this time.  What I am suggesting is that the RCAC be given responsibility for all the tracked vehicles and that it revert back to its role as "The Armoured Fist", that it be formed and maintained as a heavy strike force that is immediately available.

Would we ask the Armoured Corps to have EMEs drive their tanks for them? 

No.

As we live and fight from our vehicles when necessary, the guy driving it should be part of the same team, not some stranger from another unit who brings the vehicle once in a while.

Agreed, wholely and unreservedly.

And to which I would add "Why wouldn't you want your Infantry/Armoured team to have the same level of familiarity when their vehicles are mixed up in the same patch of ground?"  Do you expect to maintain some of your 6 infantry battalions at high-readiness Armoured Co-Op battalions?  Why not use the "super-numary" (silly concept in an Army as small as the Canadian Army) RCAC troopers as Assaulters?  They enhance the ability of the RCAC Regiments to conduct some of the tasks that the Infantry undertakes.  They are gainfully employed in the family in which they wish to operate.  They are intimately tied to their vehicles and will be learning how to maintain, operate and fight their vehicles - in a dedicated fashion.

And.... at short notice ..... a complete, formed Cavalry Combat Team can be readily detached to supply support to an Infantry Battle Group as and when necessary.

You list a group of environments ("desert", "jungle", "mountain" - tanks also do this), some ways to move around ("helo", "airborne", "amphibious", "mounted" and "dismounted"), and a political condition (counter-insurgency; tanks do this too). 

You know that I understand those differences.  But aren't some environments more convivial to some Arms than others? 

The point is that each of those environments, each of those modes, each of those tasks, carries a training bill.  That bill has to be paid somewhere sometime.  With 6 large battalions (as I have seen suggested numerous times on this site - Personally I favour 9 small ones for similar reasons to what I am arguing now) how is the Infantry going to cover all of those bases with competent forces at high readiness?  Isn't there a risk associated with the government deploying a "ready" battalion to some distant locale because half of its number completed riverine and jungle training 4 years ago?

Which risk is greater? Deploying a trained and ready, but small unit?  Or deploying a large, confident unit whose training is not up to date?

Why not take some of the load off the Infantry Corps by allowing the Armoured Corps a wider scope of activities?
Why not increase the number of deployment options available to the government by increasing the number of ready battle groups to 12 from 9 rather than reducing them to 6?

These are all circumstantial to the core infantry task

Agreed.

- the fact of the matter is a vehicle is a vital tool for an Infantry commander to accomplish that core task due to what it brings in terms of mobility, firepower, protection and sensors.

Does that include "Shank's Mare"?

The fact that we can work with it or without it

This would seem to suggest "Yes" to my previous.

"As we live and fight from our vehicles when necessary, the guy driving it should be part of the same team, not some stranger from another unit who brings the
vehicle once in a while."

Doesn't the same thing apply to boat drivers, ship drivers, helicopter drivers, aeroplane drivers......?

You don't expect all of them to become infanteers, I am sure of that.  You do expect to train regularly with all of them, preferably in the full range of environments and across the full range of the conflict spectrum.  That eats into the amount of time available for the infanteer to learn his primary trade - which is conducted on foot in the face of the enemy. 

His support may be only 5 meters away in the back of a 10 tonne truck.  Equally it could be 1200 km away on some airfield or other.  Those realities are going to shape the way he/she engages the enemy - and the shape of that engagement requires planning, training and famiiiarity.

.....with little real cost is even better .....

If it were with little real cost I could agree with you.  But I can't for the life of me see how you can escape the cost.

- that's what makes us a "multi-role force capable of acting independently in a variety of situations".

A variety of situations.... yes.  Not every situation.

Take some of the workload off yourselves by passing it on to the RCAC and let them train for a different variety of situations.

As currently configured the Armoured Corps seems to be destined to find your enemy for you then show up with some Direct Fire Support if you need it.

The RCAC is comprised of a Regiment of Dragoons (Mounted Infantry), a Regiment of Cavalry that was raised from Mounted Policemen that served as Mounted Infantry in South Africa and a Tank Regiment formed in WW2 with Militia Cavalry roots.

In the movie "The Light Horse"  there is a scene at Beersheba where a British Cavalry commander is offended that the Charge to take the position is to be lead by the Mounted Infantry of the Light Horse (Lee Enfields and Bayonets - not a sword or lance in sight)  To paraphrase:  if there is any charging to be done the cavalry should do it.

I occasionally get the sense that in the Canadian Army there is a strong sentiment that: if there is any charging to be done the infantry should do it.

I think the mob is too small for that type of attitude and the workload has to be distributed more broadly.

My own prescription:

1 SF Regiment

3 Lt Bns (Helo with Para Capable Elements and TAPV Carriers)

6 LAV Bns with a TAPV Patrol Company

3 MBT/CCV Cavalry Regiments.

There is enough overlap there to permit units to move up and down the scale of training given enough time if the Army is engaged for a protracted period in particular environment.  Equally there is enough variety of capability there to allow the government to react to a variety of situations in and expeditious fashion AND to make interesting careers.

Just sayin'.

And PS,  I still owe you a Guiness or two.

The plan I saw on the PPT (I think it was from D INF in Gagetown) was for 1 VP to have 2 x Coy CCV, 1 x Coy LAV III and 2 VP to be 2 x Coy LAVIII and 1 x Coy CCV.

I do not agree with the armoured taking on the CCV. How many vehicles should they have as part of their training? This includes Driver, Gunnery, Surv Op and Crew Commander). Do we end making 3 new MOSIDs? CCV Crewman, Tank Crewman and Recce Crewman?

Right now in the armoured, they have
-Leo 1 (Still some kicking around aren't there?)
-Coyote
-G-Wagon (P Res)
-MRAP

25 years ago, it was simply Leo1, Cougar and Lynx.

I think keeping CCV in the infantry units tasked to do them will work. Note in those battalions, pers will have oppurtunity to rotate between CCV and LAVIII. I am guessing by keeping CCV co-located with MBT in 1 CMBG will allow for better Combat team trg oppurtunities.

Also keep in mind, for employing the CCV will depend on what vehicle we get (It calls for a highly mobile vehicle with a 25mm or 30mm 0r 35mm gun).

Lets say we get the ASCOD with 30mm Marder canon, its employment would ideally be with MBT. Its basically taking the principles of using the LAVIII but now you have a more armoured, bigger gun, slower but can move better in crappier terrain.

The real trg that will get more specific will be in driver, gunnery and crew commander trg.

Comparing Boats, Airplanes and helicopters to CCV and LAVIII (as to means of support from another unit) is VERY different. Boats, planes and helicopters are very limited, have other missions to support and the crew do NOT fight from them or with them.

The LAVIII and eventually the CCV, the crews will be living out of these, they are dedicated to their sect/platoons. They fight with crews on board or alongside when dismounted. Their sighting systems work as STANO when operating out hide/harbour or pulling OP.

Yes, the infantry can dismount and fight away from these vehicles like they do with helos and boats. However thats only when the situation dictates and the mission analysis demands it as the best COA most likely to succeed.

Please, please do not compare Apples and Oranges.

Last time I checked, Armour crewman was that...a crewman. Able to fight the (non-descriptive) armour vehicle under all conditions.

Who cares if the Armour Corps gets the CCV as long as the Infantry and Armour units work together on a regular basis. At one time we did. We knew how to work with each other and how each entity complimented each other.

Now it's like a couple of kids. One getting a new piece of kit to ride around in but wants to shoot the thing too. Anyone remember the M113? It was a means for the infantry to get closer with and destroy the enemy and nothing more. The .50 cal was usable in the intimate support role. Now the LAVIII is doing the same role with a more accurate gun. When it was coming in there were cries of "The Infantry want to crew them with our guys because of....yadda yadda"

Now this CCV. It's a bigger gun and able to take out bigger targets like light tanks and bunkers, reminds me of the firing capabilities of a Cougar. Don't remember too many Infanteers wanting to get in that thing.

Next thing you'll hear is "We want to crew the tanks too because we can put guys on the back deck".

/rant

Infanteer said:
The 3 CCV-equipped companies will have tracked mech in Canada, but it is not necessarily what they will deploy with (I know, sounds crazy).  Those Infantry Companies need to be prepared to go armoured, mech or motorized when they are force employed on operations.

The platform has not been chosen yet - it may be wheeled.  As to employment, dollars to donuts we end up with a composite BG with a LAV Coy, TAPV Coy, and CCV Coy...

PPCLI Guy said:
The platform has not been chosen yet - it may be wheeled.  As to employment, dollars to donuts we end up with a composite BG with a LAV Coy, TAPV Coy, and CCV Coy...

And, due to the need to support so many dissimilar vehicle types, an integral maintenance company and an integral spare parts company.

dapaterson said:
And, due to the need to support so many dissimilar vehicle types, an integral maintenance company and an integral spare parts company.

Not for CCV - apparently maint and SPSS will all be delivered by the supplier.  Besides, the mix is not not all that different from LAV, RG / COUGAR and TLAV now.

Good luck with maint and spares then. The best support is delivered when you need it and where you want it. CCV maint contracts won't come repair a veh out at Post Office. You'll have to get it back into the hardstand in Wainwright.

PPCLI Guy said:
Not for CCV - apparently maint and SPSS will all be delivered by the supplier.  Besides, the mix is not not all that different from LAV, RG / COUGAR and TLAV now.

The supplier is going into the field to do first & second line maint? Excuse me if I seem somewhat skeptical of the idea. You used to be in LFCA when we had to leave crews stranded on the Hogs Back because CBO wouldn't bring an APC out til Monday. Even when we could have self recovered (which we did on many occasions anyway). They also locked up the contract so that units that had qualified APC drivers couldn't draw it for the weekend and use it for recovery.

I have no confidence in civvies that are supposed to work on Army time under Army conditions.

Full civvie maintenance contracts for any kind of AFV is like buying a pig in a polk.

edit - spelling

Tango2Bravo said:
As for CCV, if it does turn out to be something like the CV9030 then it should go to the Armoured Corps if we want it used to its full advantage.
If the platform itself can cause so much confusion between the existing lines, perhaps
Tango2Bravo said:
As for CCV, if it does turn out to be something like the CV9030 then it should go to the Armoured Corps if we want it used to its full advantage.
If the platform itself can cause so much confusion between the existing lines, perhaps this is indication that we could/should rethink the idea of a homogeneous manoeuvre branch and analogous manoeuvre regiments and force structures.

I agree Tango2Bravo.

But perhaps not in the way you might think.

I adhere to the notion that the role of the infantry was to occupy and hold ground: an essentially static role.
The role of the cavalry was essentially a manoeuver role.

These days, especially in the Canadian Army, both Infantry and Cavalry (as embodied in the RCAC) are essentially manoeuver forces.  There is a very limited ability to hold ground for an extended period.

The RCIC, equipped with LAVs, has in my view become Rangers/Mounted Infantry/Mounted Rifles/Light Dragoons/Light Cavalry.  The RCAC has had much of its "Cavalry" role usurped by the "Infantry".  The RCAC now seems to me to have been relegated to supplying recce forces and Direct Fire Support to the Infantry.  I believe they could be better utilized as Heavy Dragoons, forming Heavy Combat Teams of Leos and a Puma/CV90 type CCV.

Perhaps, logistically, it would also make sense to split Armoured Engineers from the Field Engineer structure and incorporate them into the "Heavy Dragoons" as as a permanent Attachment? 

Because of the range at which Gunners operate these days I don't think they need the same degree of intimacy with the formations they support.

The Engineers are operating in the face of the enemy in MBTs and TLAVs.

The Gunners, excluding the FOOs and FSCCs, generate much of their protection from the range of their guns and missiles.  The FOO vehicles, could they be supplied by the "client" organization with the FOOs riding in back?

Tanks do not just provide "direct fire support." Both infantry and armour are manoeuvre arms. They both have "battle space" where they move about and engage everything within sight/range without having to be told.

I would use the CV9030 as a recce vehicle. The infantry should be fine with a tracked vehicle with a machine gun or AGL in some kind of protected weapon station.

Re the armour providing the FOO vehicles, that was tried in the Second World War with indifferent results. The headquarters squadron of an independent armoured brigade held six OP tanks for use by FOOs of supporting field regiments. SP regiments, on the other hand, had their own OP tanks. I don't like the idea of the armour providing the vehicles because in practice all members of a FOO party are supposed to be able to do all the jobs - driving, signalling, shooting the guns and being a FAC. In practice usually only two or three members of a six person FOO party are qualified FACs.

Kirkhill said:
I adhere to the notion that the role of the infantry was to occupy and hold ground: an essentially static role.
The role of the cavalry was essentially a manoeuver role.

The role of the Infantry is to close with and destroy the enemy.  They don't just occupy and hold ground - they take it.

In order to do so, we have to be able to manoeuvre, in concert with all other elements of the combined arms team.

Kirkhill, your conception of the role of the Infantry/Armour is, in my opinion, an outdated one that was finished with the Boer War.  The dichotomy of static/maneuver that you propose isn't true and I don't feel it represents anything on the modern battlefield; both the Infantry and the Armoured compose the maneuver arm; both use fire and maneuver to win battles.  They just do it in slightly different ways.  A better philosophical dividing line is probably that the infantry "arm the man" while the armour "man the arms".  For the Infantry, a vehicle is something to arm the man with.

Nobody has seriously advocated taking away Engineer or Artillery vehicles and giving them to the Armoured as well.  This is because vehicles are tools for those that employ them, and the Armoured Corps is not the "Heavy Vehicle Driving Corps".

When it comes to the CCV, a wheeled option would be completely ridiculous as we already have the LAV III.  I'm going to side with Tango2Bravo that something like a CCV would probably be best for Armoured Recce.  The requirements for an Infantry CCV are, in my opinion, an MBT hull with an RWS like this.  It offers the true protection and mobility to accompany the tanks into the teeth of the enemy while not armed with a big turret to avoid the predilection to use the thing as a tank.

Back