• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pics - 2/14 Light Horse Regiment Restores Captured Turk 77mm Krupp Field Gun

Greetings from New Zealand.

What a pleasure it is to see such an historic trophy gun restored to its former glory.

My family having once owned an example of this model of field gun (Nr 488, captured by the Warwickshire Yeomanry Regiment at Huj, Palestine, on 8 November 1917), I identify this weapon as a Turkish 75mm modell 1903 Feldkanone L/30, Nr 478, manufactured by Friedrich Krupp AG of Essen in 1907. The markings on the top face of the breech indicate the date of manufacture (ref photograph P9190036) - the Turkish date 1323  (Turkish fiscal calendar) transposes to 1907 (Gregorian calendar), and the gun's number appears as an E, followed by a V and an upside down V (478). You may find the number 478 repeated in Arabic numerals on the front of the small curved section of shield located above the barrel.

My reference for the translation of these markings is an article by J. A. Carter on 'German Manufacturers' Trademarks and Dates on Turkish Bayonets' which appeared in Guns Review Vol 25 No 3 (March 1985), p. 168.

As far as I can tell, the Turkish markings on the rear face of the breech (ref photograph P9190037) which are located between the two Krupp logos (interlocking wheels) repeat the legend 'Friedrich Krupp Aktiengesellschaft, Essen'.

The Turkish number on the lower rear breech face translates as '331'. I do not know the significance of this marking.

Basic data on the Turkish 75mm M'03 L/30 can be found in F. Kosar, A Pocket History of Artillery Light Fieldguns, Ian Allen, London, 1974, p. 121. Kosar notes that Fried Krupp AG delivered 558 of this model to the Turks between 1903 an 1907.

My own trophy gun is now on display in the 'Huj Room' in the Warwickshire Yeomanry Regimental Museum, which is located in the Old Court House, Warwick. I also know of two other Turk 75mm M'03 L'30 trophy guns which remain on public display in the Otago/Southland region here in New Zealand.

Kind regards

Aaron Fox

Aaron, thankyou for your most valued post.

The Curator of the 2/14LHR would most welcome photos, especially of the seats on the front of the gun, along with pics of the trails. I had my guys make the trails up of photos I provided from similar Krupps in Regina Saskatachewan, at the Regina Cemetery. We were going blind on this. At the time, we did not know there was a sister gun at the AWM, although I had been ther several times the past 14 yrs.

There is still work left to do.

Its sister gun remains in the foyer at the AWM in Canberra, where they had informed us that the gun was 77mm, and with a check of a verniers, the caliber was 77mm on ours also. Perhaps the gun was made in two calibres? The lands and grooves are still in very good shape.

If you require any detailed pics, let me know, as that gun is 400 metrers from me as I write this.

I left the Regiment last month, and I am no longer a Lighthorseman or full-time Defence Mbr, now just a civvy armourer contracted to Army. I am still in contact with members of the regiment in key positions.

Please email me or PM me at any time, we would welcome any assistance from you whatsoever.

Kind regards,

Wes

Hi Wes

I will look out more photographs of the Warwickshire Yeomanry trophy gun for you, and I will take my camera with me when I am next in Otautau, where a fine example of the Krupp M'03 fieldgun is on display.

As far as I know this model of gun was only ever produced in 75mm calibre, but I do recall a similar problem in identifying the Warwickshire Yeomanry trophy gun when I measured from land to land - perhaps the rifling on both guns experienced heavy wear between 1907 and 1917/18?

You might be interested in the following forums in which the identification of Turkish artillery is discussed:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=109530&start=15

and

http://forum.boinaslava.net/showthread.php?t=6610

I also found this site to be of use: http://www.landships.freeservers.com/new_pages/artillery.htm

I hope that Marco of forum.boinaslava.net will not mind, for the two attached images of Turkish M'03 gun crews were sourced from this site.

My e-mail is aaron.fox@xtra.co.nz.

Kind regards

Aaron

This time - photo number two from Marco's discussion of the artillery used by the Central Powers during WW1.

Back