• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Caledonia, Ontario Superthread.

SHELLDRAKE!!

Inactive
Reaction score
April 21 2006
Ottawa Sun
by Geoff Matthews

Usually, you have to be suspicious about any statement that begins with the words: "I am not a racist."

That's because in most cases the phrase is followed by a "but," and then a diatribe that proves the speaker or writer most definitely is both a racist and a liar.

So forgive me here when I tell you that I am not a racist, but that I am sick and tired of the kind of protest now taking place near Hamilton, where a group of Natives has been staging an illegal occupation for more than seven weeks to block the construction of a housing development.

Does that make me a racist? No.

I'm not mad because the protesters are Natives. I'm angry because they're breaking the law to get their own way. They're telling the rest of society to go to hell because it's only their point of view that matters.

They don't care about the developer's rights, or the rights of the people for whom the new homes were to be built.

They don't even care that a judge listened to their arguments and then granted an injunction ordering the occupiers off the site.

Yesterday, the already volatile situation got a whole lot more unstable when police attempted to enforce the eviction notice and were greeted with defiance. Protesters blocked the road with a bulldozer and tire fires (so much for being in close touch with nature).

I take issue not with the arguments by either side in the Hamilton-area case (the protesters argue the site was part of a large land grant back in 1784, but the provincial and federal governments say the land was surrendered in 1841 to help build a major highway).

My beef is with people who, when they feel legal means have failed them, resort to lawlessness to get their own way.

It's a trend that we see often in labour disputes. Pickets block off not only work sites but city streets as they press their demands for higher pay and job security.

We see it every spring in the waters off Newfoundland when clueless protesters try and block fishermen from carrying out a legally sanctioned seal hunt.

In recent days we have seen our farmers barricade grocery distribution terminals because they don't think the federal government is putting up enough money in subsidies to make their farms profitable.

We see it every time there is a meeting of leaders from the world's major industrial nations. Protesters block traffic, bust up private businesses and turn over automobiles to get themselves noticed.

And what about the rest of us, who just want to go about our daily routines and pay attention to the laws of the land? Tough.

We can wait and we can suffer while these yahoos try and ensure their 15 minutes of fame.

And when the strike -- or the protest or the occupation -- is over, well we're just expected to shrug and forget about it, because if we dare to lay charges and hold the instigators accountable to the law, the whole process will start all over again. Why is it that the very people who insist on flexing their own rights have so little regard for the rest of us?

Four years ago a group of deadbeats moved into an unoccupied house on Gilmour St. in downtown Ottawa and almost destroyed it before they were booted out by police after two weeks. The rights of the property owner were the last thing on their minds.

Two summers later protesters set up an encampment by City Hall and refused requests to budge. They also were eventually evicted, and then complained they were losing their "home." Uh, no. They were being required to abide by the law.

The whole thing about protesting is that it should be done in such a way that it gets across a point without infringing on the rights of society as a whole. Because in a democracy we don't get to pick and choose the laws we like and then obey only them.

If this is a fight about a decision the courts have made, then why is it the police that have to tiptoe around what they do. If I am caught trespassing because I believe the land is mine, can I expect the police to let me start fires on major roads and play pokey chest with the officers?

I think the police should remove them by force if necessary . The protest  has gone on long enough .

When the protests were taking place a number of years ago, the natives were confronted repeatedly. Suddenly violent protests went out of flavour. New crop, new learning curve.

Governments (both Federal & Prov) have fiddle-fa**ded around with the issues the natives have, but have basically just delayed until someone else can fix it. Maybe, with a more realistic, businesslike approach and some determination the conservative government can make some headway. In the meantime, if necessary, confront them and continue to do so.

For every day the government does nothing, other natives bands are seeing that they can get away with unlawfull activity

Canoe.ca
21 April 06

CALEDONIA, Ont. (CP) - A native standoff over a disputed tract of southwestern Ontario land spawned a sympathy protest Friday that halted at least a dozen CN freight trains and disrupted Via Rail's passenger service in one of Canada's busiest travel corridors.

About 50 Mohawks from the Tyendinaga reserve near Belleville, Ont., about 200 kilometres east of Toronto, lit bonfires on either side of a CN track to show their support for hundreds of native protesters at a housing development in Caledonia, south of Hamilton.

Acrid black smoke billowed from the scene, just west of the small Ontario community of Marysville. A pair of school buses were being used to block a small road leading to the rail tracks.

Provincial police officers were watching the protest, but keeping their distance, staying at least 500 metres away.

The genesis for the protest near Belleville came early Thursday, several hundred kilometres to the southwest in the town of Caledonia, where a police raid aimed at ending a seven-week native occupation turned it instead into a full-blown standoff.

At least 16 people were arrested in the raid, but by Friday morning the number of protesters had swelled dramatically, blockading a main highway with burning piles of tires, makeshift barricades and massive piles of gravel.

At least 12 freight trains were waiting to get through the protest near Belleville, which CN Rail intends to fight by seeking a court injunction that would allow the trains to pass unimpeded through the area, said CN Rail spokeswoman Julie Senecal.

"We're going into court as soon as possible in order to end this blockade," Senecal said.

Via Rail said trains operating between Toronto and Kingston, Ont., were being replaced by chartered buses that would stop at Via stations along the route. A statement from the company warned that some delays would be likely.

Tyendinega Mohawk spokesman Shawn Brant said the Mohawks would remain at the bonfires "until proper, dignified and respectful talks" are held to resolve the dispute in Caledonia, a bedroom community of about 10,000 people 25 kilometres south of Hamilton.

Politicians and aboriginal leaders were scheduled to meet Friday in an effort to resolve the standoff, but the location of the meeting was being kept secret.

Several Caledonia schools remained closed Friday as a safety precaution, but school boards in the area said they would reopen on Monday provided tensions at the occupation site don't escalate

karl28 said:
I think the police should remove them by force if necessary . The protest  has gone on long enough .

That would be the worst thing to do, it would galvanize people across Canada to engage in supportive public disorder of whatever kind. 
Cooler heads on BOTH sides need to prevail.  Going in swinging away is just going to make matters worse.  You are taking this personally when it is not.

The reasons First Nations groups (or unions or anti-globalization groups) use protests like this is because they work.  They get public attention where otherwise there would be none.  This had minimal to zero media attention until the police moved in, in that regard it has helped 6 Nations that they did. 
After 1990 there was a huge increase in land claims settlements, which slowly has subsided and now there are over 300 outstanding claims in the system, sitting there stagnating.  First Nations leaders know that if they want to kick start the negotiating process they need to get attention.  Best way to get attention sad to say is through causing a ruckus. 

Different communities take different approaches to settling land claims disputes.  My reserve has won a claim for 54,000 acres in the early 90's because the Indian Agent back in the day also happened to be the mayor of the local town and gave himself someof our land and fudged our membership numbers (we are now at approx 16,000 acres).  Its been almost 15 years and we haven't seen any concrete headway.  My community takes a very collaberative approach to dealing with the federal gov't.  Out east is completely different.  Different history of intereaction.  Different cultural norms.  This will however help other FN's across Canada get their local negotiations kick started. 

Most importantly though, if the police moved in now they would lose out on all the overtime, stand by time, extra benefits etc that they receive in situations like this (remember the RCMP SERT sniper that earned over 150K during the Oka crisis?).  Who wants that!!  ;D

Whether a group thinks such an action is effective or not, justified or not, it is illegal. 

If the matter has been duly pursued through the courts and the finding of the court was that the land is legally the developers, then...the land is legally the developers.  Has the 6 Nations appealed the court's findings?  That would seem to me to be the proper method of addressing the situation in a law-abiding nation.  Say what you will, but I do not think that such illegal activity is to be condoned, for any group of Canadian society.  No group is given a waiver to conduct criminal acts to support a cause.  Resorting to violence where civilized tools exist in society is not appropriate. 

Furthermore, you couldn't possbily be trying to cast a positive light on this action by pointing out that police officers would be making more money due to the requirement to pay them overtime, are you?  The logic justifying this action that I'm following then is that many claims across the country have been outstanding for many years/decades and that the police will be earning more due to the overtime.  Je ne le comprends pas! ???

Duey

That would be the worst thing to do, it would galvanize people across Canada to engage in supportive public disorder of whatever kind. 

Apparently you are against the police doing their job. ::) The natives are engaged in criminal activities and infringing on the "rights" of the people who already live there, but that's okay in your books! ::)

I have to side with uber-cree here;

If a group of people believe strongly enough in something, then they have the right to demonstrate and face the court case afterwards during which they can plead their case.  Many groups deliberately violate the law in order to get their cases presented in this manner.  

However, I do not believe any group has the right to burn buildings, destroy property, and attack others like you see in a lot of countries worldwide.  But it does include the right to set up blockades and attract attention as long as they do not interfere with police called in to disperse such activities and restore order.      

This concept has been used by our society for the past hundred years and is the reason why a lot of our laws get changed.  It includes a lot of our early union activities - years ago any union activity was illegal, and only became legal through continued confrontation by union workers and 'breaking the law'.  The black communities in the southern US gained their rights as citizens only through 'repeated violations of laws'; women gained the right to vote only by 'consistently breaking laws' that denied them equal rights.  Mandela used this concept in South Africa to overthrow an apartheid government.  Ghandi used this concept to gain independance from the UK.  This is how Poland gained its independence from a repressive communist system.  This is how Serbia removed Milosevic from power, when the population took to the streets and said enough is enough!

Public demonstration is a tool that can be used for benevolent goals in all societies, but unfortunately can also be used as a tool to defeat societal freedoms.  The hard part is figuring our where the line is drawn.  I see nothing wrong with a small protest that does not threaten human life, only blocking a few railcars from being delivered (this is defined as civil disobediance). However, if the protesters are carrying weapons or threatening to injure police officers for stopping the protest (criminal acts), THEN its time to apply stern measures!

(Now here come the irate comments that are bound to follow this idea...  :argument:  ) 

Centurian1985 said:
I see nothing wrong with a small protest that does not threaten human life, only blocking a few railcars from being delivered (this is defined as civil disobedience). However, if the protesters are carrying weapons or threatening to injure police officers for stopping the protest (criminal acts), THEN its time to apply stern measures!

I consider arson along one of the nation's busiest rail stretches to be more than civil disobedience. They are not merely blocking a few railcars from moving - they are pissing off the wrong people, the travellers who have no say in the situation. The time for stern measures is now, before people all over the province start doing more of the same. If this is allowed to continue, what next? Having bonfires at the Pickering GO on Monday rush hour?

Peaceful demonstrations are fine.  But destroying property, carrying weapons dangerous to the public peace (like pick axe handles), resisting the enforcement of court orders and blockading other people and businesses from continuing their day to day business is way over the line.  They are not peaceful, they are breaking several laws, infringing on other people's rights, and they are bordering on the definition of a riot.  In my opinion this type of incident needs to be dealt with swiftly and aggressively from the outset, otherwise it will just last weeks and weeks with more damages down the road.  The demonstrators (or rather rioters) should learn to use the proper processes set out to deal with their grievances - court and appeals if necessary.

The irony of course, is what occurs after the illegal actions are taken. Like the George family bitching, whining, and moaning for a public inquiry about the actions of the OPP and government of the day in regards to dealing with their family member who was one of many undertaking in an illegal occupation of public land. In that situation, it was apparently expected by the George family that their own blood's illegal action was okily-doakily, but the ramifications of what occured BECAUSE of that illegal action was the true wrong. It's unfortunate that events took the course they did, but if Dudley George had not chosen to break the law and aid others in doing so in the first place, he would (likely) still be alive today to enjoy that provincial park, that exists for ALL of the public to enjoy. I can just see the first law suits going out now from the female "protestor" who was "beaten" by 5 OPP officers. The law to these people only works one way... the way that they feel ought to benefit them.

I think that to discourage this jackassery and blatant disregard for the law and the "neighbours" they are supposed to coexist with, new measures need to be taken. If any band chief goes on record as supporting illegal action, then revoke that band's status and resultant tax write-offs and other Indian Act benefits. So long as the media is there to "watch over" any police or dom op military action, the offenders will be emboldened to break the law in as brazen a manner as they can get away with. Unfortunately, no provincial politican has the spine to say "Enough of this shit" and order the correct action taken. Maybe if these idiot's band mates get the idea that the actions of their red-headed stepchildren are going to affect them, then maybe the bands will start to police their problems "in the family" as it were.

I think the local reserve units from Hamilton should be deployed to assist police with the protest  ;D

One thing is for sure though, taking detours around Hwy 6 to get to parade night can get to be a pain.

2 Cdo said:
Apparently you are against the police doing their job. ::) The natives are engaged in criminal activities and infringing on the "rights" of the people who already live there, but that's okay in your books! ::)

Depends on your definition of them doing their job.  If 'keeping the peace' is their job then restraint is in order.  If kicking ass is their job then go in with billy clubs flying against women and children and see how Canadians react.  Don't forget all those protestors are Canadians too and MANY many canadians sympathise with them.  How much support would that gain the OPP?  

I am in NO way defending the 6 Nations protestors using violence or threats of violence (the ones carrying axe handles should be thrown out).  Absolutely not.  When they do this they cross the line from civil disobedience to thuggery.  I also know the police have a job to do, but that they should do it well, professionally and be well educated about the scenario.  

However when I read people encouraging the police to go in with teargas and billy clubs against peacefull protestors (I acknowledge that I am not on the ground and do not know the full details), it makes me question their motives.  You wouldn't conduct yourself unprofessionally and escalate the situation in Afghanistan or Bosnia, so why do it in Canada?  

So if the issue is that the courts have deemed this land is not native and in fact belongs to the developers, why arn't the natives building tire fires in front of the courts or in Ottawa? Instead they are illegally occupying land that is not theirs (by court decision) and hurling bags of rocks at the police who are simply the enforcers doing what the courts have ordered.

I agree that unfortunately their claims havn't been heard until the police moved in and the media showed up but is that the police's fault? Does that give them the right to civil disobedience? It's my opinion that if the police entirely draw back from this and the courts cave in order to avoid "bad press".... We will see native civil lawlesness occur on a widescale.

Im not too up to date on the process of native land claims but shouldn't there be a complete record by now of all disputed lands? Or is it more of a case of new claims going in as the properties are about to be developed?

UberCree said:
However when I read people encouraging the police to go in with teargas and billy clubs against peacefull protestors (I acknowledge that I am not on the ground and do not know the full details), it makes me question their motives.  You wouldn't conduct yourself unprofessionally and escalate the situation in Afghanistan or Bosnia, so why do it in Canada? 

I believe you need to rephrase this.  They are NOT peaceful protesters.  They have blocked traffic, lit fires, and by doing so potentially risked the lives of others.  If they were protesting peacefully, they would be marching outside a government building with placards stating their case.  Not disrupting traffic.  Not lighting fires on our public roads.

Civil obedience, when lost, needs to be reinforced.  The police should have moved in immediately, and removed those perpetrating crimes.  They have arrested 16, yes.  Perhaps it's time to arrest a few more.

On this, what hurts my feelings is that if "white" people would use the same means to protest, I think the police would go forward with the "big guns". For the natives, because it's a touchy subject, the cops are a lot more patient and dilligent.

Just my opinion, but can somebody argue against this?

Cooler heads on BOTH sides need to prevail.  Going in swinging away is just going to make matters worse.

I agree.

Cracking heads isn't much of a solution, though some of them probably deserve it ;)

Why are native claims not being settled?  I know it will cost money, but let's get the bands grievances solved and then we can get down to a "one Canada, one Canadian", all with the same rights.  The way it is now doesn't help anyone.

Yes, I know my Grandfather was an immigrant, but I should have the same rights as ANYONE born here.

because if we settled all the land claims, 120% of the province of British Columbia would belong to the natives. No, that's not a typo.

When I say settlement, I don't mean a blind giveaway.  I do mean compromise and a willingness on both sides to agree to give until it hurts.  Unfortunately, with 600 bands and a like number of treaties to be sorted out, the ones that settle first likely get the worst deal.

Back