• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The brown Temperate Combat Boot (AKA: Mk IV Cbt Boot) - No longer CADPAT

Good2Golf said:
If Boulet made their boot available to the general public, I wonder how many people would actually buy them?  Folks may come back and tell me that the boot "meets spec" to which I would not disagree, but I've worked requirements, including life-support eqpt (the aircrew variety, including boots) and I think it is not overly reasonable to try and nail down a single boot the way it was done, and even the categories of boots are missing something IMO.

One of the biggest issues seems to be getting with the times re: sole technology. I liken the soles that currently exist on all issue boots as lacking...far too rigid/no compliant.  The original CWWB was a dangerous piece of gear that should never have been issued as it was, and the CWWB sole/Mk 2 isn't a whole lot better. 
The desert Boulets weren't much better, and the new coyote brown Mk IV's look (in the sense of how they'll work) the same (bad, rigid, blister-inducing).

Having worked the system, I have not just complained but sent in my share of UCRs, last being WRT CWWB (aka hockey pucks with laces). The CWWB UCR may have helped, but I still see stuff being pumped out of DLR/DSSPM that makes me shake my head.

Sad that the only issue boots I have that I am willing to wear regularly are my Mk IIIs with Vibram sole, and the Matterhorns I procured as a young, energetic Group ALSE Officer nack in the 90's.  I rue the day that my Grebs can't be re-soled or the leather tears and can't be repaired.

In my spare te, I will send in more UCRs on the latest "spec matching" footwear, but I will also wholly endorse the Black (and soon to be Brown) 8" rule to complement the use of the UCR system.

If SWAT, Rocky, 5.11, Adidas, Lowa, Danner and others can make decent boots, why for the love of anyone's diety of preference can't the CF/DLR/DSSPM get it right?

:2c:

Regards
G2G

You know I think traditionally in some of those organizations there may have been a culture of "not giving a shit" but I have had the fortune of participating in some recent trials with DLR/DRDC and their are some people there now who are very passionate and really do care about getting the troops the best kit they deserve, especially the guys there now  who have been on the pointy end and had to deal with sub-standard kit. 

Good2Golf said:
If Boulet made their boot available to the general public, I wonder how many people would actually buy them? ...

I wear my old MkIII combats boots to this day. They beat any of the *improved* shit the powers that be have managed to come up with over the past decade.

Footwear contracting for the CF, specs or not, is also severely hampered by politics geography.  ::)

RoyalDrew said:
I wonder if this was done deliberately?  Even this is the case I think it will only be a matter of time before you see companies come out with a comparable colour of boot.  I don't know anyone that wear issued boots other than maybe some support types at 3 RCR.

It might have been, or the CF wanted a darker boot in that coyote is more akin to the desert tan than anything. SWAT actually makes a brown boot, but its harder to find. Not sure about Magnums/Danners/Rocky.

I'm willing to give the issued boots another shot, especially now that I'll get some that fit. Now that I've heard the horror stories of the brown boots falling apart, I hope I'm not going to get a hard time from clothing trying to replace them. However, that's a year from now considering the Kingston wait time listed previously, so I'll just run my current pair of SWATs into the ground.

MKIII boots had a great boot portion, it was the soles that were absolute junk. It doesn't surprise me a lot of people are using them with vibram's attached.

PuckChaser said:
It might have been, or the CF wanted a darker boot in that coyote is more akin to the desert tan than anything. SWAT actually makes a brown boot, but its harder to find. Not sure about Magnums/Danners/Rocky.

Going off pictures posted here,  it doesn't look like the issue brown boots are that dark(like the issue Arid/Desert boot),  maybe a little darker then Coyote,  but I don't think it's that much of a difference.  I could be wrong though as I haven't seen these new boots in person. 

Rocky has a coyote boot,  but it is a light coyote,  similar to the colour of the coyote SWATs.  Danner also has some brown boots
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/RAT-TW.jpg
http://www.shoestoboot.com/images/rocky/104.jpg

Belleville and Bates also have a brown boot.  Probably helps that the USMC has been wearing brown boots since the switch to MARPAT in 2002.

-Skeletor- said:
Going off pictures posted here,  it doesn't look like the issue brown boots are that dark(like the issue Arid/Desert boot),  maybe a little darker then Coyote,...

The new brown combat boot is much darker.

-Skeletor- said:
Rog,  so it's the same colour or close to the colour of the desert boot?

Darker.

I'll snap a pic at work tomorrow. A couple of my troops have 'em issued already.

I just bought a second pair of black Rockey SV2's, on top of my new tan SV2s.  Guess I'll head to vally workwear for some coyote SV2s..

OZ,  unless Valley Workwear has changed their prices,  I found it cheaper to order them online
http://www.lapolicegear.com/rocky-sv2-olive-boots.html

Wow, that's quite the savings thank you very much.  I'm going to see if Workwear will match the price (or come close) and if not I'll pick up some before they get swarmed with orders.

The only Boulet boot I ever enjoyed wearing was my 1/4 Wellingtons with my mess kit. Every other Boulet product was a piece of shit.

recceguy said:
The only Boulet boot I ever enjoyed wearing was my 1/4 Wellingtons with my mess kit. Every other Boulet product was a piece of shit.

Of course, the fact that Boulets are manufactured in Quebec likely has something to do with them getting contract after contract, no matter what type of product they put out.

recceguy said:
The only Boulet boot I ever enjoyed wearing was my 1/4 Wellingtons with my mess kit. Every other Boulet product was a piece of crap.

What do you expect from a company that specializes in producing Cowboy boots. ::)

recceguy said:
Of course, the fact that Boulets are manufactured in Quebec likely has something to do with them getting contract after contract, no matter what type of product they put out.

Yep, it's that old matter of politics geography regarding contracts at play.

If the brown is really that dark... what is the point of switching from black to brown? That brown is far too dark to be considered a desert boot... and almost as dark as the black... considering the whole purpose of changing the boot was supposed to be 1 common boot for different regions, and to help blend in with the environment, I believe this brown has failed... Coyote Brown would have been a much better alternative.. however, I'll wait until I actually see the new boot to form a proper opinion.

I guess I should be thankful that I have had no problems with any of the CF issue stuff. They keep my feet dry and safe, not too hot, not too cold, just right.  I imagine I would probably end up getting some superior boots from outside sources if I had to go back to walking lo distances - now I'm just concerned about stepping off the jet and making it to Ops.

-Skeletor- said:
Rog,  so it's the same colour or close to the colour of the desert boot?
The newer darker arid boot and the brown temperate boot are supposed to be the same so that soldiers are free to choose one over the other at any given point in time.

MCG said:
The newer darker arid boot and the brown temperate boot are supposed to be the same so that soldiers are free to choose one over the other at any given point in time.

Too bad the newer arid boot is also garbage...

I would say they are the same colour as the brown in the cadpat TW pattern. You can see the tear, that is after 1 week - it is in a spot that 'bends' with my ankle so I would guess is under more stress but it shouldn't fail like that.

Back