• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Brookfield Megathread

My understanding, and I'm no expert, is that the CFIRP program covers the comission up to and including the pre-negotated rate (varies by province). The only time an appraised value comes into play is when the member elects to take the 80% payout in-lieu of the commission (ie. for private sale or electing not to sell).

Say what?  How did they come up with that?  First I've ever heard of it and it is not supported in the Relocation Directive.  The only time you should have to pay out of pocket is if you agree to a higher rate than negotiated by the program.

8.2.03 Real estate commission

Core benefit
Reimbursement of real estate commission is not to exceed the pre-negotiated corporate rates.

BobSlob said:
My understanding, and I'm no expert, is that the CFIRP program covers the comission up to and including the pre-negotated rate (varies by province). The only time an appraised value comes into play is when the member elects to take the 80% payout in-lieu of the commission (ie. for private sale or electing not to sell).

That is what I thought as well.  I went back to the Brookfield agent today and asked for clarification.  The agent responded and explained what I had been told in the inital meeting but made no reference to this is the IRP manual.  I asked for reference and that is where it stands now.

garb811 said:
Say what?  How did they come up with that?  First I've ever heard of it and it is not supported in the Relocation Directive.  The only time you should have to pay out of pocket is if you agree to a higher rate than negotiated by the program.

My consultant is telling me otherwise.  She told me I am going to have to write a personal cheque for "the real estate commission fee incurred  above the appraised value" and forward it to my lawyer.

H2eau said:
That is what I thought as well.  I went back to the Brookfield agent today and asked for clarification.  The agent responded and explained what I had been told in the inital meeting but made no reference to this is the IRP manual.  I asked for reference and that is where it stands now.

I have to start charging for my services.......  ;)
Got the manual handy?  See 8.2.03.  Real Estate Fees are reimbursed on the "pre-negotiated" corporate rate (ie; what ever your agent put in the contract, up to the CFIRP/Provincial Maximum).  The only reason that appraisals are done, are for cases where you end up selling at a loss and or try and put your house on the market at a value where you know it will not sell, inorder to trigger additional benefits or to seek reimbursements in the cases of losses.

Real Estate and Legal Fees are disbursed, based on the SALE PRICE of the qualifying residence.......

H2eau said:
My consultant is telling me otherwise.  She told me I am going to have to write a personal cheque for "the real estate commission fee incurred  above the appraised value" and forward it to my lawyer.

Time for a new "consultant?" Can the CF IRP coordinator on his base intervene and get him someone who has a clue?

H2eau said:

Real Estate and Legal fees are an "unseen" payment.  In other words, your contracted Lawyer, submits the bill directly to Brookefield and they pay it on your behalf, as a "tax free" benefit.  You should absolutely NOT being paying your Agent anything nor your lawyer.

Capt. Happy said:
Time for a new "consultant?" Can the CF IRP coordinator on his base intervene and get him someone who has a clue?

If the DND Coord is doing their job, it will be a simple fix.  But from what I have seen in previous posts within other threads on relocation topics, that just might be a bad assumption on my part.

:facepalm:  go see the mil IRP Coord if you do not get anywhere. This is nuts.

Once again people, one of the reasons we went to an IRP type model was to eliminate a clerk in Comox giving a different interpretation than a clerk in Halifax. Brookfield was supposed to be the same answer coast to coast. IRP bites.

PAdm said:
:facepalm:  go see the mil IRP Coord if you do not get anywhere. This is nuts.

PAdm said:
I had an obvious entitlement in my 2009 move.  Brookfield said no.  I engaged the local mil IRP Coord and just got stared at.  I then  :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair:engaged DCBA adjudication who quickly (too quickly) said no.  I knew I was right and asked what was my next recourse.  DCBA Adjudication said "grievance".  I was pissed off and knew I was right.  So I did and 2 years later ......

Okay.......you need to pick a side here!

and lets not forget the all famous line...."it's your move"  aka, you figure it out! :salute:

Thank you to all who took the time to respond.  I received clarification and thought I should post it.  Our properties has 2.5 acres.  Brookfield and the appraiser only consider 1.25 acres.  Our low assessment was due to the the appraiser only valuing our land on 1.25 acres.  Brookfield will only reimburse the appraised amount. 

H2eau said:
Thank you to all who took the time to respond.  I received clarification and thought I should post it.  Our properties has 2.5 acres.  Brookfield and the appraiser only consider 1.25 acres.  Our low assessment was due to the the appraiser only valuing our land on 1.25 acres.  Brookfield will only reimburse the appraised amount.

Interesting.  That is a real kick in the junk.  If only you could pay them half their fee for their only doing half their work.  >:D

So, their consultant was too amateurish\ incompetent\ whatever to give a proper assessment and that puts YOU on the hook?

I'd be seeing a lawyer about a lawsuit.

recceguy said:
So, their consultant was too amateurish\ incompetent\ whatever to give a proper assessment and that puts YOU on the hook?

I'd be seeing a lawyer about a lawsuit.

No, it's ok.  I understand they have to put a cap on land size or you would have members buying 100s of acres each move, driving the value of their property which would be very expensive for DND to pay real estate fees. 
I do think the appraisaer should have given us two values, one based on the entire land and one on 1.25 just so we would know and see the difference.  However that didn't happen and we are moving on from this.  Lesson learned.  Don't buy too much land (or a nice property) if you aren't willing to pay for it.

H2eau said:
No, it's ok.  I understand they have to put a cap on land size or you would have members buying 100s of acres each move, driving the value of their property which would be very expensive for DND to pay real estate fees. 
I do think the appraisaer should have given us two values, one based on the entire land and one on 1.25 just so we would know and see the difference.  However that didn't happen and we are moving on from this.  Lesson learned.  Don't buy too much land (or a nice property) if you aren't willing to pay for it.

Seen. Like I said earlier, I've never had to use them, so I don't know the rules.

Unfortunately, not all CAF members are in the same boat when it comes to what size of property they may legitimately require.  I have know several who have owned horses and others who have bought "Hobby Farms".  To lump everyone into one category, which basically limits CAF members to buying what amounts to not much more than a "Row House" is very discriminating, to  say the least.

George Wallace said:
Unfortunately, not all CAF members are in the same boat when it comes to what size of property they may legitimately require.  I have know several who have owned horses and others who have bought "Hobby Farms".  To lump everyone into one category, which basically limits CAF members to buying what amounts to not much more than a "Row House" is very discriminating, to  say the least.

I understand what you are saying.  For us we didn't want to live in a subdivision so we ended up on the outskirts with more land than we actually need.  I don't regret the decision because the privacy and bonfires have been great.  Now I know we need to pay extra to get that.  Same with hobby farms.  It will cost the member money because it isn't fair for tax payers to pay for the member's hobby.

Back