• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The AdamV94 Story

AdamV94

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I am usually very good at deciding things for myself, however I need help with deciding what branch of the army is best for me. I will be the first of my family to be in the military if it is something that I end up doing, so the advice I get from my family regarding this decision is not going to be as helpful as someone with experience.

I want to become either a vehicle technician, or join the infantry. I understand they are two unrelated trades but I really cant decide.

Any advice, guidance, stories etc will really help me out here.

Thank you in advance!

Write down a list of most appealing/least appealing things about each trade. If you still can't decide, flip a coin and see if you're disappointed with the result.

Go Wrench-turner; Infantry, at all levels, requires decisiveness.

You're welcome.

If you are pursuing a grease monkey position it might as well include spec pay, makes a difference. Not sure what 'branch of the army' has spec pay positions.

I applied to the army to become a vehicle technician. When I applied it was listed as an in demand trade. I have written my CFAT and was told that I did very well, and that i would be contacted to book my medical exam and interview. I was also told that since it was an in demand trade that the process should be very fast and they hope to get me to BMQ in May or June. It has now been a month since my CFAT and I haven't yet heard from them. I understand this isn't a very long time considering how long others have had to wait, but it is longer than what I was told. Anyways, the vehicle technician trade has been removed from the in demand list...

I was told that March is the last month of their year, so they are still processing all of last years applicants. Maybe they will contact me come April?

Does this mean that I will be kept on file and they will contact me when the trade goes back in demand, or because I applied when it was in demand I still have a good chance?

Also, will I be contacted either way? By this I mean, will they contact me to tell me I will be kept on file or if they want me to come in for the next stages?

Thanks in advance for your responses, my research has shown me that there is a lot of hurry up and wait when it comes to the military but I just want to hear if people have experienced this as well.

AdamV94 said:
I applied to the army to become a vehicle technician. When I applied it was listed as an in demand trade. I have written my CFAT and was told that I did very well, and that i would be contacted to book my medical exam and interview. I was also told that since it was an in demand trade that the process should be very fast and they hope to get me to BMQ in May or June. It has now been a month since my CFAT and I haven't yet heard from them. I understand this isn't a very long time considering how long others have had to wait, but it is longer than what I was told. Anyways, the vehicle technician trade has been removed from the in demand list...

I was told that March is the last month of their year, so they are still processing all of last years applicants. Maybe they will contact me come April?

Does this mean that I will be kept on file and they will contact me when the trade goes back in demand, or because I applied when it was in demand I still have a good chance?

Thanks in advance for your responses, my research has shown me that there is a lot of hurry up and wait when it comes to the military but I just want to hear if people have experienced this as well.

You're right about the hurry up and wait part.  With the new process, your CFAT and TSD results, pretty much determine whether or not you will be booked for a med and interview.  So the occupation choice, really isn't a huge consideration anymore, unless of course they don't have many people applying for those jobs.

At this point in time, all you can do is maintain contact with your CFRC at least once every 30-days just to say "Hello, I'm still interested."

When they list a trade as "In demand" how do they know when to remove the "in demand"? Is it when there are enough applicants? Or when all the positions have been filled?

Thanks a lot!

Wild assumption here, but betting it's when they feel there is no more huge "demand"...

FWIW

AdamV94 said:
When they list a trade as "In demand" how do they know when to remove the "in demand"? Is it when there are enough applicants? Or when all the positions have been filled?

Thanks a lot!

"In demand" normally means that the trade's level of manning has fallen below a certain threshold. It's very rare for almost any trade to be completely full' the pace of recruiting and retirements/releases ensures that.A trade will get listed as 'in demand' when a shortage becomes more drmatic than is the norm. I've seen numbers thrown around, but can't recall well enough to say. A trade not being 'in demand' DOESN'T mean it's clsoed to recruiting- just that it isn't in dire straits. I hope that helps a bit.

Brihard said:
"In demand" normally means that the trade's level of manning has fallen below a certain threshold. It's very rare for almost any trade to be completely full' the pace of recruiting and retirements/releases ensures that.A trade will get listed as 'in demand' when a shortage becomes more drmatic than is the norm. I've seen numbers thrown around, but can't recall well enough to say. A trade not being 'in demand' DOESN'T mean it's clsoed to recruiting- just that it isn't in dire straits. I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks! that does help.    Hoping to hear back from them soon

In demand usuually means that the number of applications is far less than the number of available positions.

When I applied to the CAF I only used one of my three possible job choices. Since then, I have written my CFAT, and I am currently waiting for the call regarding my medical exam and interview. I was just wondering if I could call in to add another job to my list? Maybe even change my top choice to my second choice?

Thanks in advance!

Also, sorry if this thread already exists, the search bar doesn't work for me for some unknown reason.

I don't see a problem if you just called them and asked to change one of your choices, not a huge deal. I think you could probably do it on the day you go in for your medical as well.

Within the point of CFAT to Interview you are allowed to switch your jobs, but once you are finished the Interview you will no be able to switch your trades. Good luck to you with your application, I to am waiting for my Medical and Interview. But currently they seem to be taking forever to do my Reliability check portion.

AlphaBravo said:
Within the point of CFAT to Interview you are allowed to switch your jobs, but once you are finished the Interview you will no be able to switch your trades. Good luck to you with your application, I to am waiting for my Medical and Interview. But currently they seem to be taking forever to do my Reliability check portion.

Okay awesome thank you, I'll call in on Tuesday as I don't think they will be open tomorrow. It will be worth the wait for sure! Good luck to you to.

I am preforming my medical for Vehicle Tech tomorrow. My main recruiter told me that Vehicle Tech is in demand but another told me is wasn't. Even the website reported it wasn't. Try to listen to our recruiter; the website isn't always up to date. 

PS. Remember to call. They need to remember you. That was the only reason I got my medical. Cause I annoyed them enough.

I am waiting for the call from the recruiter to book my medical and interview. I looked at my phone today and I had a missed call, however, the number came up as "no id" so i wasn't able to call back, and there was no voicemail.

My questions are; when they call, will they leave a message? Will the number register so I am able to call back?

I called yesterday to change my application a bit, and the recruiter told me that they are not currently booking any NCMs right now, but they will be very soon. I was also told that I have a very competitive score on the CFAT so I will be contacted soon, but does soon mean 24 hours?

Thanks in advance

My CFRC shows up on my phone, and generally they do leave a message. Primarily I think they actually email you when they have a scheduled date.

AlphaBravo said:
My CFRC shows up on my phone, and generally they do leave a message. Primarily I think they actually email you when they have a scheduled date.

okay thanks!

Back