• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The ‘Iron‘ Second

Long in the tooth

Inactive
Reaction score
Just to add a few points about the 2nd Bn CEF - it was formed of men from Ottawa, Peterborough and Cornwall. During one of the major gas attacks in 1915/16 it held the right of the line while many allied units broke. For the remainder of the war it was known as The ‘Iron‘ battalion.
One of its members, a Major Learmont, won the VC (posthumously) while commanding the unit and being wounded FOUR SEPARATE times.
The unit‘s war colours are laid up in St John‘s Anglican church in Peterborough ON. (IIRC)

Now my question is, were can I find a nominal role for the 2nd! Would the Archives in Ottawa hold these, if these even exist?

Try the archives for a Sailing Roll of the 2nd. If that does not work try for a Pt II Order. If that does not work I understand that CP Ships used to publish lists of soldiers going overseas.

Vol. 8 issues 11 and 12 of the magazine Esprit de Corps has some history of the 2nd Bn. The information is extracted from a book written by Larry Gray called We Are The Dead, published by General Store Publishing House. The book is about men from Carleton Place who served in WW I.

For more stories on the 2nd Bn CEF visit this web site; http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/arnott1.htm#Background

Thanks Art for your reply! Although Peterborough has sent thousands of soldier, sailors and aircrew to fight for Canada, I don‘t believe there are any Peterborough based units that perpetuate this memory. The Hasty Pees are from Belleville and do not list the Second as sources for their honours. Any leads Art? Thanks

Try contacting the Directorate of History and Heritage and ask them for the name of the Perpetuating Battalion of the 2nd Bn. C.E.F. All C.E.F. battalions are perpetuated by some unit. For instance the 15th Bn is perpetuated by the 48th Highlanders of Canada.

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/engraph/home_e.asp

Back