• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Temporary Duty ( TD ) merged

Dolphin_Hunter said:
No, he's correct, because he is talking about a cost move.  Select from the list, just don't go over the max rate and you'll be fine.

Dang - getting them mixed up as the OP was about TD.

now try it sticking to Canada, as close to 500kms a day as possible, 3 rooms must be available, starting trip 31 Jul so long weekend involved, dog and you are booking them in Jul as this is a late posting due to someone pulling the plug.  Using google maps at the time:  Sudbury ON, WAWA ON, Thunder Bay ON; Kenora ON,
Virden MB, Swift Current SK, Calgary AB, Salmon Arm BC, destination.  Longest leg was approx 530kms as there was nothing else. 

Considering the time given to drive is based on driving 500 kms a day I do not understand why Brookfield would be tellng people to travel as far as they want and stay in places multiple days.  I do however agree with the basic concept of it and would prefer a move policy based on BC to Vancouver, X number bedroom house, X number family members,  here is X dollars and you have 9 days to travel there.  How you do it is up to you, what you don't spend you keep and if you spend more then too bad.  No need for brookfield and the cumbersome process or worry about if something is claimable or not.  Want to rent a truck and drive across Canada - go for it.  Spend a few days visiting friends, whatever.  you get your lumpsome $xK and go on your way.  Of course that would never fly where the taxpayer is watching every penny the military spends.  Imagine the uproar if they gave someone $20k for a move, that person sold/gave/threw away everything, drove across the country in their RV and bought new on the other end.  Then of course there is ourselves who would complain that Cpl Blolggins got the same as me and I don't think he should because he didn't buy the big screen TV and ATVs that I did and need to move.

CountDC said:
now try it sticking to Canada, as close to 500kms a day as possible, 3 rooms must be available, starting trip 31 Jul so long weekend involved, dog and you are booking them in Jul as this is a late posting due to someone pulling the plug.  Using google maps at the time:  Sudbury ON, WAWA ON, Thunder Bay ON; Kenora ON,
Virden MB, Swift Current SK, Calgary AB, Salmon Arm BC, destination.  Longest leg was approx 530kms as there was nothing else. 

Considering the time given to drive is based on driving 500 kms a day I do not understand why Brookfield would be tellng people to travel as far as they want and stay in places multiple days.  I do however agree with the basic concept of it and would prefer a move policy based on BC to Vancouver, X number bedroom house, X number family members,  here is X dollars and you have 9 days to travel there.  How you do it is up to you, what you don't spend you keep and if you spend more then too bad.  No need for brookfield and the cumbersome process or worry about if something is claimable or not.  Want to rent a truck and drive across Canada - go for it.  Spend a few days visiting friends, whatever.  you get your lumpsome $xK and go on your way.  Of course that would never fly where the taxpayer is watching every penny the military spends.  Imagine the uproar if they gave someone $20k for a move, that person sold/gave/threw away everything, drove across the country in their RV and bought new on the other end.  Then of course there is ourselves who would complain that Cpl Blolggins got the same as me and I don't think he should because he didn't buy the big screen TV and ATVs that I did and need to move.

We basically tried what you have described in the early 90s.  It was called the "Cash Move Trial" and it was a disaster.  It started with just the meals and accommodations en route and was supposed to eventually include the option of renting a U-Haul if the member wanted.  Luckily, it never got to that.  Check out the current news on the the US Army family who rented a U-Haul for a posting to Alaska.  No, we have it pretty good.

CountDC said:
You also have the regulation a bit wrong which is a common mistake.  Your accomodation while on TD is supposed to be pre-selected by the approving authority from the hotel directory and confirmed available.

Not quite. CFTDTI says it should be pre-selected by the approving authority, not shall or must.  In my (quite extensive) TD experience, the approving authority gives you a blanket clearance to use whatever you want and will only re-imburse up to the max rate in the White pages.

Travelling to US on an HRG arranged itinerary. Checked baggage didn't make it to the destination; sixteen hours on and it's still not here but the airline office says it's coming. I've already picked up the essentials and now I'm just curious what the policy is on reimbursement. I found the CFTDTI in a google search but didn't see anything pertinent. Seems to me it was $400 when AMEX was the provider and presumably that would still be the case with HRG but not sure where to find it in writing.

from STS/HRG

Lost or Stolen Baggage Benefits1*

How is the lost or stolen baggage insurance activated?
Lost or Stolen Baggage coverage applies when the cardholder charges the entire cost of the common carrier passage fare to the Travel Card or pays for the entire cost of the common carrier passage fare with points earned through the Travel Card loyalty program (provided the Travel Card is active and in good standing).

What type of things am I covered for?
Lost or Stolen Baggage insurance will reimburse you for covered damage on an excess basis over and above any amount due from any other valid and collectible insurance or any other form of reimbursement payable by those responsible for the loss or the common carrier. Covered damages are those amounts actually spent to repair or replace checked or carry-on baggage and personal property contained therein which suffers direct physical loss, theft or damage. Reimbursement is based on actual replacement or repair cost of any lost, stolen, or damaged article without deduction for depreciation, provided that the article is actually replaced or repaired; otherwise, payment is based on the actual cash value of the article.

For more information on Lost or Stolen Baggage Benefits, please call:

Toll-free: 1-877-704-0341 (in Canada and U.S.)

Might want to let the fin people know you are calling them as they will probably tack on a service charge for that too.

Please do me a favour - never ever assume that this piece of crap service provider is anywhere near as good as AMEX was. I would wager that any percieved savings that was supposed to be gained by the change over quickly disappeared due to all the charges for everything.  Book a flight - service fee.  Airline not listed so you have to call to book the flight - additional service fee.  Need to change flight, you have to call them and yes additional service fee.  We have had the service fees from this company cost more than the plane tickets a few times.  Never heard anyone complain about calling AMEX, in fact I used to like calling them as they were always friendly and helpful.  No one here wants to deal with this group as they are hard to get through to and when we do they are rude, not helpful and at points didn't know what they were talking about (Vancouver is not the only airport in BC). 

I just returned from TD in BC.  My clerk booked my flight and vehicle rental .  The vehicle was with Enterprise.
I was under the impression ( possibly foolishly) that as the vehicle was booked via DND, I do not need to purchase extra insurance.
I used my personal credit card and after signing there, there and initialing there,  I was on my way.

When I was handed the keys, the girl told me she had already completed the walk around and they don't consider minor scratches etc to be damage and hurried me on my way.
After a 30 mins or so, my passenger noticed a 5 inch crack in the corner of the windshield. 
I should have turned around right there, but we were in a hurry as our flight arrived late.

long story short. I returned the vehicle at 5am this morning via the overnight drop off ( place was closed)  Enterprise just called me to inform me I am liable for the windshield replacement.

WTF !

What are my options, or is this an expensive lesson learned ?  ( I am pretty sure my personal insurance covers windshield replacement, but with a deductible of some sort)

CAF TD Instruction  http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCES_Internet/docs/en/caf-community-benefits/cftdti-ifcvst.pdf

(4) (Rental Vehicles — IDTC Policies) Before
using an IDTC to rent a vehicle on duty travel, a
member shall review ADM (Fin CS) policies and
procedures in respect of IDTC vehicle insurance.

(5) (Rental Vehicles — Private Insurance) A
member who is authorized to rent a vehicle on duty
travel should always review their private insurance
coverage with their private insurer before renting
the vehicle.

(6) (Rental Vehicles — Collision damage waiver
(CDW)) A member who is authorized to rent a
vehicle on duty travel and:

(a) who uses an IDTC to rent the vehicle shall
not purchase CDW (because the IDTC
provides CDW coverage); and

(b) who does not use an IDTC to rent the
vehicle shall purchase CDW

(7) (Rental Vehicles — Public Liability and
Property Damage (PL/PD)) A member who is
authorized to rent a vehicle on duty travel and

(a) who rents the vehicle from a rental agency
that is listed in the PWGSC
and Car Rental Directory as amended from
time to time, shall not purchase PL/PD
(because the listing includes PL/PD); and

(b) who rents the vehicle from a non-listed
rental agency shall purchase PL/PD.

Just got off the phone with the thePersonal.    Vehicle rental is covered under the " Worry Free Option" which I pay a premium for.  Unfortunately, " worry free" also comes with a $500 deductible for windshield replacement.

Get a quote from a company to do it, to find out if its easier to not go through insurance.

I'd also call Enterprise head office and make a complaint about poor customer service rushing you through the inspection of the vehicle. If that employee told you not to do the inspection, you should be able out without paying for anything.

I am sure Enterprise will not let me choose the company to do the windshield replacement.  ( also, apparently it is their choice to either repair the small crack, or have the windshield replaced. hmmmmm  I wonder which one they will choose ! )

Looks like I am out $500, but I wont be the poor schmuck who signs for the vehicle rental on the next TD.

What about your credit card? A lot of credit cards include rental insurance so long as you pay for it with that card.

Good point. 

I did look into the CC I used ( Tangerine) and they don't cover rentals.  Had I used my Capital One card however, it would have been covered.  My mistake for using the wrong card !

again, an expensive lesson learned.

Hello All,

I'm not really great with references, so a friend recommend I ask ppl here for some clarification.

I'm Class-A and goin gon course and it would take 2 days to drive my car to the school (800km away). Since I've only been given 1 day of travel on my contract, they're saying I can't drive there. They're saying that I have to use one day of leave to drive my car (so that I have 2 travel days total: 1 allotted and 1 annual leave), but because I haven't "earned" my leave yet, I can't take leave before my course starts.

What I don't get is that, I'm Class-A, why do I even need leave? Can't I just start my drive, and be "half-way" to my destination when my contract starts, so I only use "1 day of travel"?

I mean, I remember after Christmas one year, I was going on an exercise right after the Christmas holiday, but because I was visiting friends during the Christmas holiday, I wasn't "at home" on my allotted travel day. Where I was was actually closer to where I was going, so my OR just booked me a flight from where I was to the exercise, and then back home after the exercise (Point C to B then Point B to A, instead of Point A to B then Point B to A).

If I was RegF or Class-B, I could understand, because you can't get extra time off work just because you want to drive your car. But I'm Class-A, I can be wherever I want when I'm not on contract.

What idea a friend of mine gave me was to "go on a trip" somewhere closer to the school, and do like I did at Christmas, and tell my OR that "because of civilian commitments, I will be in location C before my contract starts. Since it's within 500km of the school, can I drive my POMV", and they should say yes? Is this legit? I mean, in theory I could actually need to be somewhere else, like at Christmas.

Thanks

You should be able to apply for relocation leave prior to and following your course. This is at the discretion of your CO, so don't count on it. Your chain of command should be helping you with this. Your course must be 30 or more days in duration to qualify.

Read para 5.10 of the Leave Policy Manual

DuddlyDeringer said:
Hello All,

I'm not really great with references, so a friend recommend I ask ppl here for some clarification.

I'm Class-A and goin gon course and it would take 2 days to drive my car to the school (800km away). Since I've only been given 1 day of travel on my contract, they're saying I can't drive there. They're saying that I have to use one day of leave to drive my car (so that I have 2 travel days total: 1 allotted and 1 annual leave), but because I haven't "earned" my leave yet, I can't take leave before my course starts.

What I don't get is that, I'm Class-A, why do I even need leave? Can't I just start my drive, and be "half-way" to my destination when my contract starts, so I only use "1 day of travel"?

I mean, I remember after Christmas one year, I was going on an exercise right after the Christmas holiday, but because I was visiting friends during the Christmas holiday, I wasn't "at home" on my allotted travel day. Where I was was actually closer to where I was going, so my OR just booked me a flight from where I was to the exercise, and then back home after the exercise (Point C to B then Point B to A, instead of Point A to B then Point B to A).

If I was RegF or Class-B, I could understand, because you can't get extra time off work just because you want to drive your car. But I'm Class-A, I can be wherever I want when I'm not on contract.

What idea a friend of mine gave me was to "go on a trip" somewhere closer to the school, and do like I did at Christmas, and tell my OR that "because of civilian commitments, I will be in location C before my contract starts. Since it's within 500km of the school, can I drive my POMV", and they should say yes? Is this legit? I mean, in theory I could actually need to be somewhere else, like at Christmas.

Thanks

As a CLASS A solider going on course your travel day is the day prior to course...if you want to drive you "could" provided you waive the liability from the crown by travelling the day prior on your on dime, for the end of course your unit can do a cost comparison for a one way PMV wavier as you will have annual leave to use.

Is it more than or less than 800 km? IIRC you can drive 500 km a day but 800 the last day, so if it's less than 800 you should be able to do it in one day.

It's been a while since I had to worry about this, but I didn't think CFTDI distinguished between Reserves and Regs?  And my memory isn't what it used to be, but did I not see something saying that if you were travelling on CF business, you were on duty, and if you were on leave, you were on leave - and never the twain shall meet?  They didn't want people on travel status and on leave at the same time, as those two statuses were deemed mutually exclusive.  I also think if you're authorized to use POMV, then by extension you also have to be granted the appropriate amount of on-duty travel time to do it, along with all the TD benefits in force along the way.

I'm suffering from CRAFT a lot lately, so if my information is dated, you have my apologies in advance. 

Back