• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Temporary Duty ( TD ) merged

Hey everyone!

I had a question concerning travel claims for a TD. The claim is a cost comparision claim if that helps.

My question is, what are my entitlements as far as hotel/private residence claim(The tasking is approximately a distance of 900kms one way from my home base.) and my meals claim entitlement. My claim has me entitled to two lunches based on the flight providing meals, but the joining instructions clearly state that no flights are to be booked until after 20h00, so would that not allow for me to claim a supper instead of a lunch? I am not trying to be picky, I just want to make sure that the claim was done the right way, and i dont want to bother the clerks for every little issue that arises.

Any help would be appreciated

If you're not boarding the plane home until 2000 or later, then you can claim for the supper that you ate beforehand.

Thank you for the reply!

Just for added clarity, the cost comparison was done to do a cost comparision between different modes of travel. I was given the price of a plane ticket, but opted to used my POMV. The reason I asked about the supper claim, was because the joining instructions said that flights could not be booked until after 20h00, so the flight they booked for me that day would have been wrong, and therefore I am under the impression I would be entitled to the supper claim, even though I am taking my POMV to and from the TD (Someone please correct if I am mistaken). Further, since the drive is more than 650kms one way, am I allowed to claim a hotel/private residence, or am I to assume these costs because I elected to take my POMV?

References to relevant QR&O's or other adminstrative policies would be appreciated!

Thanks again everyone!

You can get up to the amount of a plane ticket and you will have 1 travel day before and after the course/tasking....any travel over 500km requires 1 annual leave day per the remaining milage minus the original travel days.........food/accommodations/etc are not reimbursable

NFLD Sapper said:
....any travel over 500km requires 1 annual leave day per the remaining milage minus the original travel ....

This is not true. The policy actually says "1 day of paid leave" which encompasses other types of leave as well. I've made POMV trips on company time over 500km using short, special and weekend leave passes. Some units have specific SOP on what type of leave they want used (some specifically state it will be special, others state it will be short). Bottom line is that it paid leave does not automatically mean annual leave.

Capt. Happy said:
This is not true. The policy actually says "1 day of paid leave" which encompasses other types of leave as well. I've made POMV trips on company time over 500km using short, special and weekend leave passes. Some units have specific SOP on what type of leave they want used (some specifically state it will be special, others state it will be short). Bottom line is that it paid leave does not automatically mean annual leave.

Regular and Reserve Force (specifically CLASS A) are on two different scales wrt to this....

According to the CFTDTI, there is no differentiation between RegF and PRes. If you look specifically at Chapt 7, which deals with travel in CANUS that requires an overnight stay (i.e. more than 500km one way):

7.4.1(5) (Paid Leave) A member who requests to use a PMV — rather than the more economical and practical mode of transportation selected by the approving authority — and who uses that PMV on duty travel shall take one day’s paid leave, after the first day, for every 500 kilometres travelled.

7.4.1(6) (Paid Leave) If a member — who requests to use a PMV — has insufficient paid leave remaining for any travel in excess of the more economical and practical mode of transportation selected by the approving authority , then the member shall not be authorized to use their PMV as requested.

It appears that the only difference in travel entitlements between RegF and PRes is for the one day of duty travel on either end: 

7.4.1(9) (Class “A” Reserve Service) A member of the Reserve Force, who requests to use their PMV on duty travel, shall be placed on Class “A” Reserve Service on the first day of travel to or from a destination and shall not be authorized any subsequent Class “A” Reserve Service for any subsequent days of that duty travel to or from that location.

http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/docs/cftdti-ifcvst.pdf

Here is 37 CBG official policy on this (using 37 CER St. John's as the example):

Ref:  Telecon 37 CBG HQ

1. Having rec'd further clarification to the email from Maj , this is how things sit now:

a.  Our pers are on Class B when filling summer taskings.

b.  Anyone filling a Class B CFTPO tasking has to be on paid leave (can be annual, weekend and stat leave) when travelling POMV.  This will be the leave earned from the tasking.  This leave has to be approved by the gaining unit prior to the start of the tasking.  Once the leave is approved, the POMV waiver must be sent for approval (ie - for RETS this is CTC).  Leave passes for the travel days up and back have to approved for the waiver to be approved.

c.  Pers can only travel 500km per day.  If travelling from 16 Jun to 14 Sep the Argentia ferry can be used and it will only take 3 days to travel each way.  If travelling using the Port Aux Basques ferry it will take 4 days to travel each way.

d.  A paid travel day is auth on each end of every tasking.  Most tasks begin on a Monday.  The first leave pass will start on Sunday (wkend), Mon, Tues and Wed would be annual.  If travelling Argentia, only 2 annual required.

e.  With most taskings ending on a Friday, Saturday would be their paid travel day.  The second leave pass would have Wed, Thurs, and Fri as annual, Saturday would be wkend on the leave pass.  Once again, if using Argentia ferry, only 2 annual required.

f.  Depending how tasking dates correspond with the Argentia ferry schedule, it will take a member 4 to 6 days annual leave to travel POMV.  In order to earn 4 annual leave, your contract must be at least 60 days in duration (incl 2 travel days).  To earn 6 days annual leave, the contract must be at least 90 days in duration (incl 2 travel days).

g.  Once leave passes are approved, the member is essentially reporting late for duty.  Pers starting their summer with a course will not be able to travel POMV because they cannot report 2 or 3 days late for a course.

2. All refs required for this are listed in Maj original email.

There has been a lot of confusion on this issue, hopefully this clarifies things for now.

Any questions/concerns can be sent to me and I will engage G1 again if required.

Adjt

Sir,

I have spoken to our Orderly Room on this matter.  This email is refering to individuals on casual Class B service.  The key sentence for us is in Para 1 which states:

It should be noted, however, that paragraph 7.41(9) of reference A, which provides the conditions under which a member on Class A service may use PMV for duty travel, and was alluded to in the COS’s e-mail, is no longer permitted by DCBA in cases where the distance is over 500 km (i.e., the trip is greater than one day).

Therefore, our members should not be affected by this email and the current policy still applies.  Members on Class A service going to Gagetown for a CL B tasking will be covered for one day travel only.

Regards,

Adjt

Subject:        FW: POMV waiver

Reference: A. Canadian Forces Temporary Duty Instructions
B. QR and O 9.07(2)
C. CF Leave Policy Manual

Further to the COS’s e-mail, the purpose of this e-mail is to provide the LFAA HQ direction on the use of PMV for travel by Reserve personnel who have been tasked (via CFTPO) for a period of Class B service remote from their home unit, but who are on part-time service prior to the task. This typically applies to members selected for summer tasks. This e-mail does not apply to members that are on long-term Class B service, who are subject to the same rules as Regular Force members. The guidance in this e-mail is drawn largely from Chapter 7 of reference A, which applies to travel in Canada and the continental USA and includes an overnight stay, which will apply in most cases. This e-mail does not cover all of the applicable rules and regulations found in the references; rather, it only covers the highlights. You are urged to familiarize yourself with all of the provisions of the references, in particular, reference A. It should be noted, however, that paragraph 7.41(9) of reference A, which provides the conditions under which a member on Class A service may use PMV for duty travel, and was alluded to in the COS’s e-mail, is no longer permitted by DCBA in cases where the distance is over 500 km (i.e., the trip is greater than one day).
2.      In accordance with reference B, Class B service includes travel to and from the place of that service. As such, employment dates reflected in CFTPO should include a travel day at the beginning of the task and a travel day at the end of the task, both part of the period of Class B service. This being the case, for members proceeding on a task where the distance may be travelled in one day (i.e., less than 500 km), a PMV waiver should not be problematic. It is incumbent on units, however, to verify with the employing unit that the CFTPO task dates in fact include the travel days. Where the dates do not include the travel days, 37 CBG HQ/G3 should be contacted to attempt to resolve the matter.

3.      Note that where the term “paid leave” appears in this e-mail, it assumes annual leave, but could include weekend leave and statutory holidays where travel days naturally fall on weekends/holidays. “Paid leave”, for the purposes of this e-mail, does not include:

a.      short leave, the use of which for travel does not meet the criteria at paragraph 9.1.01 of reference C; and

b.      special leave, as the applicable types of special are taken prior to departure and after return, in which case the members in question would be on not be on Class B service and in accordance with paragraph 5.1.02 of reference C are not entitled.

For trips longer than one day, members being placed on Class B service for a task will be subject to the same rules as Regular Force and long-term Class B members. LFAA HQ has determined that the following is in keeping with the applicable regulations:
Travel will take place within the Class B employment dates. Again, however, units are to verify with the employing unit that the CFTPO task dates in fact include the travel days. Where the dates do not include the travel days, 37 CBG HQ/G3 should be contacted to attempt to resolve the matter.
b.      Where use of PMV is authorized, members are subject to paragraphs 7.40(2) and 7.41 of reference A. In particular, they will be reimbursed for mileage or the cost of the most economical and practical mode of transport, whichever is less, and will be required to be placed on paid leave for travel days beyond the first day. The number of leave days to be taken is one day for every 500 km to be travelled. In accordance with Annex A of reference A, on the last day of travel, if the distance is greater than 150 km but less than 500 km, an additional day of paid leave must be taken.

c.      In order to be placed on paid leave for travel days beyond the first day, members must earn enough leave during their period of Class B employment to cover the leave requirement. Paragraph 3.1.02 of reference C states that paid leave may be taken before it is earned, meaning a member being placed on Class B service may use leave as soon as the period of service commences.

d.      Where a member will not earn enough leave during the period of Class B service to cover the number of leave days required for travel, use of PMV will not be authorized and the most economical and practical mode transport, as selected by the approving authority, shall be used. If a member insists on using PMV for travel in this case and is therefore required to travel in advance of the Class B employment dates, in accordance with previous DCBA direction, the member will do so at his/her own expense.

5.      In accordance with paragraph 3.3.02 of reference C, during Class B service the annual leave entitlement is one day earned for every 15 days of service, except for period of service under 30 days where no paid leave is earned (PILL is earned in this case). The following are the number of days of continuous Class B service required to earn enough annual leave days to cover the required number of leave days for travel to/from typical locations to which Brigade members deploy for tasks (as previously noted, paid leave could include weekend leave and statutory holidays, but for the sake of providing a simple summary of the number of days of service required to earn enough leave for various travel distances, the following is based on annual leave only):

from St. John’s NL to:
Camp Aldershot (Kentville) NS – 60 days,
(2)    CFB Gagetown (Oromocto) NB – 90 days, and

(3)    CFB Borden ON 180 days;

b.      from Corner Brook NL to:

(1)    Camp Aldershot (Kentville) NS – 30 days,

(2)    CFB Gagetown (Oromocto) NB – 30 days, and

(3      CFB Borden ON 120 days;

c.      from Edmunston NB to Camp Aldershot (Kentville) NS – 30 days;

d.      from all other NB locations to Camp Aldershot (Kentville) NS – N/A (requires only one travel day); and

e.      from all NB locations to:

CFB Gagetown (Oromocto) NB – N/A requires only one day travel, and
(2)    CFB Borden ON – 60 days.

6.      It must be stressed, again: where a member will not earn enough leave during the period of Class B service to cover the number of leave days required for travel, use of PMV will not be authorized and the most economical and practical mode transport, as selected by the approving authority, shall be used.

7.      The approving authority for PMV waivers and use of PMV for duty travel is the employing unit (i.e., the unit funding the travel), not the parent unit. The approving authority for paid leave during Class B service is also the employing unit, not the home unit. PMV waiver requests and corresponding leave requests must, therefore, be sent to the employing unit for consideration. As task dates are planned on the assumption that one day is required for travel on either end of the task, there is a significant probability that employing units will not be able to accommodate the use of paid leave for travel purposes at the beginning and end of tasks and will deny requests. Where the employing unit denies a request, there is no recourse but for the member but to use the most economical and practical mode of transport as selected by the approving authority. Again, if a member insists on using PMV for travel where the waiver and leave requests have been denied, and is therefore required to travel in advance of the Class B employment dates, in accordance with previous DCBA direction, the member will do so at his her own expense. Finally, members must be aware that where use of PMV is authorized and the employment dates are subsequently modified lessening their leave entitlement, any leave used for travel that is in excess of their entitlement will be recovered.

8.      I regret the delay in providing this information to you; however, there has been a great deal of confusion and direction/counter direction surrounding this matter and it has taken time to sort through the various regulations and policies to make sense of it. It is appreciated that the guidance provide by LFAA HQ and passed on in this e-mail may not work for some members. Unfortunately, in those cases, use of PMV will not be possible.

9.      Questions may be directed to the undersigned.

Major
G1

The G1 will reissue LFAA policy on the subj but pls be aware there are significant concerns with this policy in that it does not reflect current DCBA or CFTDI direction. The G1 will ID these concerns and ask for clarification from Area. In the meantime the current CFTDI dir stands.

The synopsis is that a soldier may take their POMV on a task. They will be covered for 1 travel day to the task and 1 travel day back home from the task. They will be paid 1 day Cl A and be reimbursed the most economical means of travel (ie plane ticket in most cases) and TD/food for the travel day. They may also be reimbursed incremental insurance costs to change their policy to reflect the use of the veh for employment. If it takes the soldier more than 1 day to get to their place of duty as is the case with NL based soldiers, they are responsible for their own costs/liability for the reminder of the trip.

I highly encourage Units to review the CFTDI and refs that the G1 will provide.

The G1 will address the issues in the LFAA policy with a view to decreasing the cost/liability to our soldiers,  however, as it stands now the CFTDI stands.

Perhaps. If you traveled at the end of your attached posting, it would likely be on TD.

Your question is not phrased accurately.

When you go on TD, there are certain expenses covered by CFTDI regulations.

If you request and are approved for an advance of your benefits, the general maximum is up to 80%.
This limit is used to protect you against changes in your TD.

Once your trip is completed, it is normal to finalize your TD claim and all entitled money,
justified with original receipts attached, is paid out (minus any advance paid earlier).

And for an Attach Posting in a different geographical area, it is not unknown to have three claims.

One claim for TD for your flight/drive out there.
One claim for the duration of your Attach Posting.
One claim for TD for when you return to your home unit.

You will usually get incidentals (and free rations/quarters) for the duration of an Attach Posting, which makes it feel like TD, even though TD and Attach Posting are different things.

Yes, TD and Attach Posting are two VERY different things.  Essentially an Attach Posting is all the PITA stuff of a posting, but none of the benefits.

TD:  Travel expenses (transport and hotels and meals en route), meals and accommodation provided/reimbursed at destination

Attach Posting: Travel expenses (transport and hotels and meals en route) and that's about it (although if you are maintaining a residence elsewhere, you won't have to pay for quarters at destination).  There are also provisions for excess baggage, but no move of F&E

Pusser said:
Attach Posting: Travel expenses (transport and hotels and meals en route) and that's about it (although if you are maintaining a residence elsewhere, you won't have to pay for quarters at destination).  There are also provisions for excess baggage, but no move of F&E

That was changed years ago. You used to just get free quarters, back in the day. You now get incidentals, free food and free quarters on an Attach Posting. Check on Para 3.01 of the CFTDI.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCES_Internet/docs/en/caf-community-benefits/canadian-forces-temporary-duty-travel-instruction.pdf

Ostrozac said:
That was changed years ago. You used to just get free quarters, back in the day. You now get incidentals, free food and free quarters on an Attach Posting. Check on Para 3.01 of the CFTDI.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCES_Internet/docs/en/caf-community-benefits/canadian-forces-temporary-duty-travel-instruction.pdf

I stand corrected.  That's good news, but doesn't really make up for the times I was shafted!

I accepted a change of trade, and will be sent to Borden to complete my new trades training. My question relates to what is the process for TD and rations and quarters. I have heard that since I am a QL3 qualified member, I will be attach posted to the school in borden, and will claim TD in addition to not being required to pay for rations and quaters. Can anyone confirm this, and if possible, provide a reference?

I appreciate any help in advance.

I will confirm that you will not be attach posted and claim td (Temporary Duty) as you are one or the other not both. 

Do you have your message and have you gone to your OR to talk to them? That is where you should start.

CountDC said:
I will confirm that you will not be attach posted and claim td (Temporary Duty) as you are one or the other not both. 

Do you have your message and have you gone to your OR to talk to them? That is where you should start.

But to confuse things, TD and Attach Posting are different things, but when you are Attach Posted you receive the benefits of the CF Temporary Duty Instruction.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/temp-duty-travel-instructions.page

3.01  Application

(Regular Force) Subject to CFTDTI 3.02 (No Application), the CFTDTI apply to a member of the Regular Force who is, after 31 January 2011:
        either:
            on TD;
            on an attached posting; or
            in respect of CFTDTI Chapter 5 (Travel Within Place of Duty) only, ordered by an approving authority to work - or to be immediately available for work during - irregular hours inside the member’s place of duty; and
        not entitled to any benefit under the Military Foreign Service Instruction other than under instruction 10.3.07 (Risk Allowance).

So the terms are all mixed up. In general, these days, when you are on career status, then Posted BTL, and then Attach Posted to a training unit, you get free food, shacks and incidentals.

Good day, currently I am on a TD tasking 830km away from home unit.  Will be travelling back soon, looking for guidance on if we can conduct the road move in one day.  Have one member in a DND vehicle and two in POMV.  Currently only find CFTDI 7.35 making mention of travelling restrictions stating, "(Maximum Distance) Except when unusual operational imperatives demand otherwise, an approving authority shall not require  a member to drive on duty travel more than 500 kilometres per day during regular work hours."  Now I realize we are not required or obligated to travel more than 500km but if we choose to are we allowed to?  Both members travelling by POMW have already taken the required annual day for travel.

Back