• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Teddy's Rant - The Media, Military and Afghanistan

Sorry, are you saying CTV and Globe and Mail, or including Sun Media in this as well?  As for CTV, they offer pretty balanced coverage and have a bureau in KAF.  They even went so far as to provide live coverage of a news conference in Kingston last week by the Dawe family.  I also notice there is no mention of the Quebec media in all of this.  They will certainly play a factor in determining where Canada goes with this mission.  Wait 'til you see the even greater negative spin they will put on the mission as soon as the first Quebec fallen comrade has a ramp ceremony.

ArmyVern said:
We should expect Canadians to be a little smarter than to allow their policy to be determined outside their Parliament in a biased media.
I'd like to think so, but can we really expect anything better when our politicians are using the news media (& snazzy buzz phrases) as the conduit for debate?  It is interesting to note that today's poll has identified an opinion difference with the university educated being more in favour of the mission.  It seems that those who have been taught to scrutinize information are not being fooled.

kratz said:
CTV-Globe: Television, newspapers and their online presence;
Sun Media: newspapers and their online presence (ie: Canada.com);
Global: Television and their online presence;
Transcontinental: daily and weekly newspapers, and their online presence; and
Maratime Broadcasting Service: Radio in the maritime provinces, and their online presence
No CBC?

MCG said:
I'd like to think so, but can we really expect anything better when our politicians are using the news media (& snazzy buzz phrases) as the conduit for debate?  It is interesting to note that today's poll has identified an opinion difference with the university educated being more in favour of the mission.  It seems that those who have been taught to scrutinize information are not being fooled.
No CBC?

Absolutely 100% agreed. It seems you and I both share this view, which is also being expressed in this thread:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/64188/post-589835.html#msg589835

I thought I would carry out a little research before wading, jumping, leaping into this thread. Using Google news alert with the search words "Canadian, Troops, Afghanistan, Support" I have been getting about 140 to a high of 246 articles. The majority are very favourable to the troops, the mission, and the support. Some of the real surprising editorials and stories have come out smaller papers in the Quatar, Sri Lanka and India for example. Smaller local newspapers here in Canada have been doing the same, excellent well written and to a certain extent someone did some research before publishing. BUT the major players seem to have overlooked these stories except for of course the Edmonton Sun which has picked up on a couple. I made a bet (actually a few) with a reporter here in Calgary Friday at a fundraiser. The bet wether or not her News station would carry anything on the fundraiser. I just got an email the controversy here over the ribbons on city vehicles has taken precedent. My out take on this is the Alderman in question realizes it is an election year and needs to get his name in the paper. The drivers of city vehicles have been quite good about the ribbon issues, if the driver wants one he buys it(supporting the troops) and at the start of the shift puts it on his/her vehicle.  I asked one city employee why this practice, he said "the idea is to support the troops so if they want one on this vehicle after my shift the next driver can buys his/her own and make their personal contribution". Not bad logic from a trash hauler. As to the alderman in question " Rick if you want your name in the paper here is a few suggestions 1) Figure out why hotdogs jump from  $1.85 to $ 5.85 for stampede week 2) Figure out which landlords are continually renting out houses for use as either "shooting houses" or "sales and distribution points" 3) Ensure your name is placed on the next recruitment list for one of our local Reserve Units if you do this quickly you may have a chance to see first hand what supporting the troops is about-from the receiving end.

I find the National Post's articles concerning the Afghanistan mission are generally in favour.

Well, it must be that time of the month ... another slow news day as per ...

Here we go again with the drug testing story, it's been done so many times -- and so often -- it's repetetiveness is making my head hurt. It's like a big cycle; despite the fact that drug use is lower in the Canadian Forces than in the general population of Canada (which we are a relection of), the need to pull this one out every so often and add a new little tidbit to it, simply amazes me.

They are paying people to recycle this crap!! And, in this particular case, the Canadian taxpayers are paying to have this crap regurgitated to them (where was that other thread about avians and the oppostion??) Geez, who'd have thunk it?? Getting paid for recycling the same 'news' over and over again when there's actually so much real news on accomplishments and good works being done in Afghanistan by our troops, that they are constantly overlooking and failing to report to the public. No wonder Canadians have such a dim outlook on the mission and it's possibilities of success.

It's truly saddening.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act ....

CBC Article

Nearly 200 soldiers kept home from Afghanistan over drug use: report
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 | 9:09 AM ET
CBC News

Nearly 200 Canadian soldiers slated for deployment to Afghanistan have been kept home because they tested positive for drug use, documents show.

Since the military began mandatory drug testing of troops headed for Afghanistan last September, 195 of the 6,800 tested failed the drug test.  CBC News obtained the information through the Access to Information Act.

Of those who failed, the majority tested positive for marijuana, while other tests showed harder drugs, such as cocaine, methamphetamine and amphetamines.

The documents also show dozens of soldiers provided diluted urine samples, something the military views as an attempt to cheat the system.

"It's a particular concern because we are in Afghanistan, they are in a combat situation and they have to make split-second decisions, life or death, and we need them to be able to do that without the influence of illicit drugs," said Canadian Armed Forces Brig.-Gen. Ian Poulter.

Poulter points out the illicit drug use was found in less than four per cent of the soldiers and says that number represents a smaller percentage than drug use by the general population.

But retired Col. Michel Drapeau says it's still a "big deal" because it means the army is forced to ask some soldiers to serve in Afghanistan for another term.

"That means probably that … somebody else who steps in are probably individuals that have already been in Afghanistan …So is it serious? Yes it is."

Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of defence staff for the Canadian Forces, has taken a zero-tolerance approach with troops, and all soldiers who test positive for illicit drugs are kept home.

"You can't have people driving large, dangerous equipment, handling guns if they're abusing substances," said Senator Colin Kenny, the chairman of the Standing Senate Committee on National Security and Defence.

The military says it plans to expand the drug testing program to include blind testing, which will encompass the entire Canadian Forces, not just soldiers slated for duty in Afghanistan.

My emphasis added.  ::)

What's interesting is how they manage to turn a non-news,
item into an impending crisis.  What I mean is, the CF have
managed to do a remarkable job in keeping it's people clean.
And take it on the chin for Vietnam-era stereotype the media
are trying desperately to keep alive.

Here's proof:http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Margolis_Eric/2007/09/09/4481384-sun.php
Eric Margolis actually has the nerve to call his column
Damn, it's 'Nam

I don't know what drug abuse stats are - but I do know that 25% of people
I know would test positive for cannabis.

I suspect CF members could be more accurately compared to professional
or Olympic athletes.- but that's another unnecessary can of worms. ;D

What does retired Col Drapeau think when he says stuff?  Does he not remember that he once wore the uniform and stuff he says will be quoted?  Or maybe that is exactly the point, so that he can get some attention.  I'm tired of these experts offering their opinion when they need to think before opening their mouths.

>(which we are a re[f]lection of),

I like to see this story gain repeated traction.  It will remind any perceptive readers in the audience that the CF is composed of self-nominated people who are not, likely never will be, and should not in any event be forced to be, a reflection of Canadians as a whole.  There are some segments of Canadian society - depending on by which criteria you divide or slice it - which are piss-poor candidate pools for CF service.  Let the interested individuals step forward and make themselves fit the CF, and don't waste time or money pressuring the uninterested or trying to make the CF fit them.

Back