• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Teddy's Rant - The Media, Military and Afghanistan

Teddy Ruxpin

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Note to Mods - rant to follow, you may wish to move to some more obscure part of the forum...

Anyone who suspects the existence of a hidden agenda within the media that reflects an anti-military bias won't be surprised by the press offerings today (13 Jul):

Soldiers are drunks and drug users:

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Afghan/2007/07/13/pf-4335601.html

(failing to mention the fact that we're now doing massively increased drug testing and that the system is much more aware of such issues than in the past)

Military conspiracy to target innocent analyst:

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=746bfb9c-2430-4851-a7f2-5b200c086fa1

(failing to mention that this is a standard tactic used by large organizations in order to prepare their leadership to address questions from critics)

Military BSs the public regarding our role in Afghanistan:

http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=20070711_171700_11872

And the topper - Inner circle of secretive "advisors" plots to undermine civilian rule:

http://www.thespec.com/Opinions/article/219106

Completely ignoring the truth as published by the Deputy Minister two days before:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2372

Such hyperventilating, innuendo, inaccuracy and blatant half-truths hardly serve to fulfill the media's oft-stated role of educating the public.  It appears that the bulk of the nation's mass media has already made up its mind regarding the military, Afghanistan and our soldiers.  Those few who write positively about their experiences with the CF or, worse, in support of our efforts in Kandahar Province are derided as having become co-opted dupes of a sinister, secretive organization.

Public discourse deserves better than this.  An educated debate is one thing, hyperbole is another.  Many in the media seem to be hungering for a Vietnam-style confrontation between themselves and the military community.  They appear almost desperate for a family of one of our fallen to denounce the mission in Afghanistan, leaping upon any hint of discontent or dissention as an example of a wider problem.  The way CTV News website misquoted the Dawe family yesterday was almost breathtaking.

Poll after poll is taken with skewed questioning and questionable facts.  "Unease with War Grows", "War Deaths Too High", "Support Wanes..." seem to be today's media mantra.

This is a plea to the media:  do some basic research before you write.  Try and learn what the various branches of the military do and which organizations are responsible for what.  If using an "expert", at least point out how that "expert" is qualified to comment on defence issues and, more importantly, what political baggage the "expert" is carrying.  There are very few real defence experts in Canada.

Finally, leave your prejudices at home:  not all of us are high-school dropouts lured into the Army by promises of a free education or have been lied to by a predatory recruiting system.  Aside, perhaps, from some diplomats and NGO personnel, soldiers on the ground in theatre have a much more comprehensive view of the issues facing Southern Afghanistan than any Canada-based pundit.  Often, they have the education and academic background to bolster that first-hand knowledge.  It's unfortunate that you appear unable to acknowledge this.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Note to Mods - rant to follow, you may wish to move to some more obscure part of the forum...

Rant? More like a much-deserved critique that's been well-earned by the supposedly unbiased media.

Then there's this one:

Drug addiction soars in Afghanistan
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070712/Afghanistan_drugs_070712?s_name=&no_ads=

Our media are addicted to bad news.  No wonder the public seems to be giving up.

Support for Afghan intervention waning: poll
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070712.wafgpoll0712/BNStory/Afghanistan/home

How would you expect nice, decent, life-affirming Canadians to respond? Most sure aren't going to say any significant number of deaths is "acceptable" these days.

Mark
Ottawa

I think the operative phrase is, "If it bleeds, it leads."

milnewstbay said:
I think the operative phrase is, "If it bleeds, it leads."
Or, as Arnie once said:
"If it bleeds, we can kill it"
Our Afghanistan mission is "bleeding", and the MSM is trying to kill it.
I think it's a case of Penis envy vis a vis the US: They have Iraq, we have Afghanistan.  Funny, even the left in the US is in line with the mission in Afghanistan vis a vis the UN.

career_radio-checker said:
I think it can all be summed up by saying "Bad news makes good news.

Close but actually it's "Bad news sells." :(

Baden Guy: Not necessarily so, since our media have not presented the "good news" side--so those who buy might in that sense vote.  Good news sold in, say, WW II, or Korea, but maybe we were a different people then.

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
Baden Guy: Not necessarily so, since our media have not presented the "good news" side--so those who buy might in that sense vote.  Good news sold in, say, WW II, or Korea, but maybe we were a different people then.

Mark
Ottawa

We were....

The other day I saw CNN reporter interviewing an Iraqi family in its living room that was begging the Americans to stay.  Under the interview screen, throughout the entire flaming interview ran the banner Iraqis Want Americans Out.  At the end the banner changed to The Debate Over the American Presence Rages in Iraq.

Many people keep CNN on in the background with the sound down.  What is the impression left by that Balanced Report?

Agenda?  Heck no.  Why would anyone think that?

The picking of headlines also pisses me off endlessly as does these silly emotive anchor persons that do the reporting. 

Poll indicates that support wanes.  Government refuses to be concerned.  .... Aye support waned - from 73% in favour of issue Zebu to 71%.

And spoken with end of the world emphasis and pathos.  Tsunami wipes out 10,000,000 and Lisa got two hang-nails today are announced in exactly the same tone if Lisa's hangnails are today's lead flaming disasters.

I watch the news and I read papers but I find them less and less connected with any reality I can discover from other sources.  The only purpose there is to watching and reading them now is to find out what pablum they are spewing to the herd in order to sell soap.

In the immortal words of Groundskeeper Wullie:  "Crrrrrap!!"

Thanks Teddy, and the Mods.  I feel much better now.

As someone who has come back from Afghanistan in Febuary and is returning next year, I would agree that this constant slew of negative coverage is due to the news media's short-sighted chase of profits. But; what should we expect from a multi-billion dollar cut-throat business?  Altruism or idealism maybe? A sense of what they choose to cover impacts real people?  A sense of morality, or a duty to tell the WHOLE story? Or maybe a desire for accuracy in presenting both the good and the bad?
I'm afraid that would be asking too much. They know that covering death, disasters and scandals will sell, and the Taliban know that the press will focus on that. It's mutually beneficial for both parties involved. And the media is very enthusiastic in it's role since as it generates more negative stories that will sell.

The Taliban leadership hiding in Pakistan know they can't win against us on the battlefield, they can only strike at us effectively via the media and use it to frighten the less staltwart Canadian civilians back home into forcing the government to withdraw from the mission.  Because, let's face it, the public doesn't know anything about Afghanistan except for what they see on newspaper headlines and nightly news soundbites, and it's almost all negative.

I'm sad to say that while we are clearly winning the ground war, the Taliban and their ignorant proxies in the news media are winning the propaganda war.

If we are forced to withdraw because of public opinion and Kandahar gets overun -killing thousands and pluging the province into hard line Taliban Wahhabist rule- who will the press blame? Themselves? Not likely.

I do have to make note of one glaring exception: the Maclean's cover piece "Afghanistan: Reason for Hope" is an excellent article about the progress being made and the challenges facing us. You should read it.

Well,

We should expect Canadians to be a little smarter than to allow their policy to be determined outside their Parliament in a biased media.

kilekaldar: Very well put.  I would only add that many years ago the media felt a sense of patriotism that might temper criticism.  Sadly the Vietnam War destroyed that balance in the US and we copy-cat Canadians have simply followed on.  Better exposé than victory. :rage:

Mark
Ottawa

Teddy Ruxpin said:
If using an "expert", at least point out how that "expert" is qualified to comment on defence issues and, more importantly, what political baggage the "expert" is carrying.  There are very few real defence experts in Canada.

When there is an opportunity for free media coverage and a speaking platform, suddenly everyone is a qualified defence critic...Steven Staples is merely that most recent in a long line of 'peace experts' who feel they know the military and world conflict issues better than anyone who deals with the issues on a daily basis...

In short, "The medium is the message" turns out to be correct.

"Look at us" is more important than truth.

Yea, I'm disgusted.  By and large I've "felt" CBC has been better than
CTV, and Sun newspapers to be polar opposites of the "Globe"

The grass roots however, will surprise you............

The coverage about the people lining the bridges between Trenton and Toronto
to pay respects to our fallen was excellent.  Credit goes to the people.
NOT the media.  Emergency workers applying yellow ribbons - Again
the people get the credit, Not the media.

If Canadians were to learn the truth about Afghanistan, I'm convinced they would support it.

As for experts?  Eric Margolis is my personal fave..............
I hate it when someone that bright is that wrong.
He should be a bartender or waiter.

Gwynne Dyer has disappointed me.  He has timed the release of his new book
perfectly ( for profit ). 

In short, "The medium is the message" turns out to be correct.

"Look at us" is more important than truth.

You want more proof?  The papers are full of the Conrad Black conviction today.  The ultimate in inside baseball - not to say masturbatory indulgence.

Meanwhile the King of Jordan, one of the major players in the issue that most exercises our times, is in Canada to discuss how to handle a crisis that the self-same press claims is killing Canadians, Americans, Afghans, Iraqis, Palestinians and Lebanese unnecessarily (Jews don't get much of a look in these days I'm afraid).

It is to upchuck.

I'm afraid I don't quite get this phrase
inside baseball

Does this mean playing baseball in the living room
or a single team playing with itself?

My bet.- Lord Black will probably not do any jail time by the time the
appeals are done.

Warning: wish list

1.I'd like to find a way to stimulate those "grass roots" and..........

2.Punish the media for their self indulgent navel gazing.

3.And most important - hang a stink on the lefties for what they have
tried to do with Canada's national interest in Afghanistan.

4.We can get to universal peace and justice later.........

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
    But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
                                                                                  Kipling

Plus ca change, Plus ca meme chose. ::)

Main Stream Media in Canada is concentrated into a few groups:

CTV-Globe: Television, newspapers and their online presence;
Sun Media: newspapers and their online presence (ie: Canada.com);
Global: Television and their online presence;
Transcontinental: daily and weekly newspapers, and their online presence; and
Maratime Broadcasting Service: Radio in the maritime provinces, and their online presence

are the ones that I can identify. From the examples of an agenda that I have seen so far, only the first two groups have reported negative comments. As a counter point though, some of the most respected reporters that this forum has approved of are also from the CTV-Globe and other media sources. Is the MSM providing a negative slant against  military? It looks like it, but there are events (base family days), results (weapons found), and support (whales freed from nets) that are being reported to counter the negatives.

Back