• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TASER OPINIONS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a Cylon would prefer OC, tasing could short circut them....oops wrong thread ;D

MedTech said:
Oh come on OC's not THAT bad... It's tasety on steak ;)

Now don't go saying that.  Some mindless gob will think you are serious, hose down some meal with dog spray and choke to death when his throat seizes. 

Come on now ZHC, they deserve it if they were that stupid ;) muahahahahahahahaha...

zipperhead_cop said:
Now don't go saying that.  Some mindless gob will think you are serious, hose down some meal with dog spray and choke to death when his throat seizes. 

Darwin.

Something fresh to revive the debate a bit, from the "ya can't win for losing" school of thought - emphasis mine.  Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

RCMP fatally shoot man on southeast Saskatchewan reserve
Canadian Press, 14 Jun 08
Article link

People who live in an aboriginal community southeast of Regina say they are angry that RCMP fatally shot a man on the reserve Saturday morning.

Police said two Mounties were responding to a family fight on the White Bear First Nation near Carlyle.

The man, 21, was shot outside a home and was pronounced dead on the scene, Sgt. Carole Raymond said.

"He was armed with a knife at the time of the incident," she said.

A woman who lives on the reserve said the dead man had been attending a graduation party for Grade 12 students from the Whitebear Education Complex. It was not clear if he was a student or not.

She said residents are upset a Mountie shot the man instead of using some other means of apprehending him.

"They could have used some other kind of force or strategy. They didn't have to kill him," said the woman who declined to be named.

"People are way upset. They have got Tasers and they have got pepper spray. There could have been some other way than to shoot to kill."

The RCMP Major Crimes unit was investigating the shooting under the supervision of an officer from the Regina Police Service, Raymond said.

The name of the dead man was not released.

In a separate incident, RCMP said they were investigating the death of a 37-year-old man found on the shore of Lac La Ronge in northern Saskatchewan.

RCMP said they are treating the case as a suspicious death.

A lethal force option to combat a lethal force threat................bottom line.

milnewstbay said:
"People are way upset. They have got Tasers and they have got pepper spray. There could have been some other way than to shoot to kill."[/b]

Just another uninformed clod.  ::) We don't "shoot to kill" and the old "don't bring a knife to a gun fight" are two good points to pass on. 

Bean bag guns and practice in warning shots then starting at the knees before moving up to lethal area's would be an option.

Tasers are bad for the heart and bad for public relations imho, nothing good has come from them since the choice was made to use them. I see no reason to use them with other better and cheaper alternatives out there.

Have you been bean-bagged, tased, maced and/or pepper sprayed?

I have, and I will take the taser as the most effective AND the most humane.....

Snafu-Bar said:
Bean bag guns and practice in warning shots then starting at the knees before moving up to lethal area's would be an option.

1. Gunshot wounds to the leg are not "non-lethal", conversely gunshot wounds to the head do not always kill.

2. Anyone who advocates shooting for the leg/arm/gun in the hand etc has likely never carried a firearm professionally.

3. I would take a tasing EVERY TIME over being shot.

If the person holding the gun feels threatened obviously his inclination will be to use that gun for his protection, why give authority figures a gun if they are going to be crucified when forced to use it?

As for being beaned or sprayed, no i haven't been, but then i'm not one to go out into public looking to find out how that feels. Some people obviously don't give a crap and end up getting more than they can chew. Factor in the "pig, and no way in hell i'm going to jail" mentality and well you get many scenario's that end up with people getting hurt or killed using force.

If you say tasers are the most humane way of disabling someone then so be it, yet it still has the potential to be lethal on contact leads me to think that beans and sprays althought LESS humane may be a better means of subduing someone who doens't want to comply.

Beans and spray have that potential also, as do batons, as do open hand techniques, etc, etc,.....

Your opinions are great and all..ever worked the streets and had to use force? Everything is lethal. Just how you use it...

Snafu-Bar said:

No. 
Bean bags:  Fired out of shotguns and can be plenty lethal.
Warning shot:  What is that?  Lobbing a round into the night? 
Shooting the knees:  Is pretty much impossible (unless you're Norm Gardiner) and it doesn't necessarily stop the threat.  It is hard enough to shoot center mass under stress in a moments notice. 
Sprays:  Many psychotics and crack/meth heads can ignore most of them.  Even a determined individual can.  (and I agree 100% that I'd rather be Tased again than get sprayed again)

Snafu-Bar said:
Tasers are bad for the heart

Not substantiated by facts.  Many arseholes have fought past the point of exhaustion and killed themselves.  Not a Taser issue.

Snafu-Bar said:
and bad for public relations imho,

And this is a police issue why?  So you would rather see officer and suspect safety go south so that you don't have to hear about a force option which you know nothing about.  Thanks for your concern and support.

Snafu-Bar said:
nothing good has come from them since the choice was made to use them. I see no reason to use them with other better and cheaper alternatives out there.

Please stop.  Seriously. 
Thousands of successful arrests.  Hundreds of officers who would attest to their personal safety being preserved by the device (myself included).  Only a handful of dead people who would have died in any case. 
As for alternatives? 
Better?  You haven't offered one yet.
Cheaper? Sure, the old hickory stick is cheaper and in my opinion more fun similarly effective, except that the officer loses his safety distance.  But why let officer safety get in the way of saving a few dollars. 
Your profile suggests you are starting your military career.  Once you get how things work, see if you are interested in the CF going on the cheap for your personal protective equipment.  Or makes you do thing in a more unsafe manner for the sake of avoiding something that is
Snafu-Bar said:
bad for public relations

Hope that helps.

+100 Zip...

Maybe the government should take away our guns... since lets face it... we've had accidental shootings of civies, including kids over in Afghanistan....

and thats just awful for public relations.....

seriously though, back over here in the real world... we as the professionals in our various occupations do the best we can in the given time with the means we are given... and yes... I have been in a couple life or death situations and have come very close to pulling the trigger... bottom line is that I was lucky that I was never forced to make that call, and that the situation calmed down quickly enough that it never had to end up as a shooting situation...

I look at it this way, If you want Omlettes then some eggs are gonna break... and the sad reality is that sometimes good people, or innocent people get hurt in the process.... its a sad fact of life in a war zone.... 

same is my view with the police... if you dont want to get hurt, then either a) dont resist, or b) Dont put yourself in a position where you need to worry about it... ive run into alot of cops. and very rarely are they the trigger happy, taser loving, pain enforcers that the media might want us to think they are...

theyre just trying to do a very hard job, under alot of public scrutiny within laws which bind their hands and give the criminal more rights then the victims and innocent public.

But hey, thats just me, and my opinion.

Cheers
   Tommy

Tommy said:
ive run into alot of cops. and very rarely are they... pain enforcers that the media might want us to think they are...

Only because you haven't come to Windsor for a ride along in the summer time yet  ;D

zipperhead_cop said:
Only because you haven't come to Windsor for a ride along in the summer time yet  ;D

And only find ONE member like that :D and it's not Zip... right...?

Zip?? ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back