• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicle - RG-31, LAV Coyote, and (partial) G-Wagon Replacement

Just a question, as this vehicle is supposed to replace some of the G-Wagons, will reserve units in the RCAC be equipped with it as well?

cameron said:
Just a question, as this vehicle is supposed to replace some of the G-Wagons, will reserve units in the RCAC be equipped with it as well?

Likely only through MTCs and not much luck of it then either.

It is not intended to replace G-Wagon.  The TAPV is a replacement for the RG-31 and the Coyote.

Infanteer said:
It is not intended to replace G-Wagon.  The TAPV is a replacement for the RG-31 and the Coyote.

not a 100% replacement no, it replaces it in the recce role over seas where the G-wagon is not suitable due to its none existent armour (well practically)

Early versions of at least some project documentation did explicitly state that the TAPV would displace G-Wagon in some roles.  The Comd LFC at that time also explicitly stated that he "would not buy any armoured vehicles for the reserves."

Project documentation may have evolved, and opinions may have changed as Army Commanders changed.  But, that was the state of things in the beginning.

The Army Implementaion Plan and the SOR spell it out in clear terms that this is a replacement for the RG-31 and the Coyote.  IIRC, the LVM will cover the LSVW and G-Wagon replacements.

Will the army, even in the Reserves ever again practice recce the way it did with Ferrets and Jeeps? If so a soft top G-wagon with a semi-armoured bottom would likely be the way to go for the reserves.

... And RG-31 was an interim platform to do what G-Wagon was doing (and the Iltis before that).
I suspect Jowz valley had a lot to do with gaining support for the RG-31 buy.

Colin P said:
Will the army, even in the Reserves ever again practice recce the way it did with Ferrets and Jeeps? If so a soft top G-wagon with a semi-armoured bottom would likely be the way to go for the reserves.

Reserve Recce has always worked that way (mud recce as per Ferret and jeep). Only the platform has changed over time.

The Troop Leaders Guide to the Galaxy (Recce Sqn Ops) with the pictures of PT-76, T-62, etc is still the bible. They keep telling us (for the last twenty years) the doctrine is going to change. There's been drafts, interims, etc but nothing has stuck. Some methods of doing things have changed slightly, but the doctrine remains fairly untouched.

I don't see the Regs going back to sneak and peek, they like the big loud, smoking, diesel powered LAVs for recce  ;)

A related question, what opportunities are there for armour soldiers and officers in the reserves to train on the vehicles used by the regular force (apart from overseas deployments as individual augmentees)?

At this point, slim to none.  Without a reason to have a reservist on that course, why would the reserve unit pay the cost or the regular force unit cough up the spot?

The quoted text below is on the website of the South Albert Light Horse Association, on their equipment page.  As it has been said by some here on Army.ca that the Reserves are not likely to get the TAPV, is this wishful thinking on the part of SALH, have they been misinformed or do they know something?

"The future of reconnaissance is the just announced TAPV programme.  This vehicle will eventually make its way to the SALH and will replace the G-Wagon in the future.  Although the exact version of the TAPV is not yet confirmed, below is one of the options being examined."

cameron said:
The quoted text below is on the website of the South Albert Light Horse Association, on their equipment page.  As it has been said by some here on Army.ca that the Reserves are not likely to get the TAPV, is this wishful thinking on the part of SALH, have they been misinformed or do they know something?

"The future of reconnaissance is the just announced TAPV programme.  This vehicle will eventually make its way to the SALH and will replace the G-Wagon in the future.  Although the exact version of the TAPV is not yet confirmed, below is one of the options being examined."

Completely false.  The TAPV's are to equip the Light Infantry Bn's and replace the Coyote's in the Armd Regt's.  You can do the math and realise there isn't much left after that.

RoyalDrew said:
Completely false. 
That statement is true today, and it was true when the project started.  TAPV was never going to the PRes.

MCG said:
That statement is true today, and it was true when the project started.  TAPV was never going to the PRes.

Exactly, PRes doesn't need it, dont get me wrong as a PRes soldier I would love to see a TAPV CP varient to replace our LSVW CP but thats a pipe dream. PRes Recce has no use for a TAPV they accomplish what they need to with the G-wagon.

dangerboy said:
And a lot f people are saying the same thing for the Reg force ;D

It really depends on the threat level IMO, in a low threat environment the G-wagon works fine, but if we jumped into a high threat environment I'm sure many would rather a TAPV.

I've got a copy of a ppt somewhere, when I find, I'll post.

In it, it outlines the TAPV "plan", and what I remember most, as it affects us here on the East Coast, was 27xTAPV are to be centralized at Gagetown, for use by the PRes Armour units in the AO. Similar plan for Valcartier, Pet, and Wainwright, I just don't remember the numbers.

The Armour School and/or the RegF Armour units in Gage/Val/Pet/Wain would have their allocation, for their uses.

Pipe dream indeed, specially if this goes the way of the Coyote, etc., i.e., originally "purchased" for PRes units, yet used and loved by RegF, so PRes said bye-bye when they were taken away and moved to the Iltis/Buick/LUVW...

blackberet17 said:
I've got a copy of a ppt somewhere, when I find, I'll post.

In it, it outlines the TAPV "plan", and what I remember most, as it affects us here on the East Coast, was 27xTAPV are to be centralized at Gagetown, for use by the PRes Armour units in the AO. Similar plan for Valcartier, Pet, and Wainwright, I just don't remember the numbers.

The Armour School and/or the RegF Armour units in Gage/Val/Pet/Wain would have their allocation, for their uses.

Pipe dream indeed, specially if this goes the way of the Coyote Bison, etc., i.e., originally "purchased" for PRes units, yet used and loved by RegF, so PRes said bye-bye when they were taken away and moved to the Iltis/Buick/LUVW...

TFTFY ;)

I've told the same thing by Generals and others in high positions. In Ontario's case some will be pooled at Meaford for the PRes here. However, we've been strung along and lied to before to placate the Regimental Senates and to keep people from quitting until it's to late. Then it's 'Oh, we've had a change of plans.....'

As to vehicles like the Cougar, we had ours, until the Regs started breaking theirs. We got their broken stuff and they took our good ones. That is until they decided they needed all of them. Then we got the word that we were being rerolled to Recce (again) and didn't need them, instead of the truth, being we're taking them all so you might as well do Recce. 8)

Back