• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistic Vehicle Modernization Project - Replacing everything from LUVW to SHLVW

The LUVW project is going to move ahead at the pace of the process. Rarely do we let anything interfere with that. Does it not seem like the procurement process is getting a little better overall though lately?

It's a goddamn scandal that a project that reached its end of life in 2019 (LUVW) won't realistically be replaced 2029. We're so bush league at all levels of the process. In the meantime, Reg units will continue to cannibalize what they have left and the Res units will have no training platforms. Of course this applies to a myriad of other programs. It's bloody hard to stay in this institution sometimes, especially when the higher ups spin so many of these kit problems as a stewardship problem. Can't steward something which just puked the contents of it's turbo into the motor. Frustrating.
Its a feature not a bug!

At this point its on propose.

The LUVW project is going to move ahead at the pace of the process. Rarely do we let anything interfere with that. Does it not seem like the procurement process is getting a little better overall though lately?
When you start to replace stuff that has already fallen apart, and only get 1/3 of what you really need, I personally wouldn’t call that better.

hmmm, would a logistic vehicle require a logistics officer? Hope to head to Borden after BMQ.

When you start to replace stuff that has already fallen apart, and only get 1/3 of what you really need, I personally wouldn’t call that better.
I think the fleet acquisition will be adequate with the 2200 they originally wanted to buy under this contract, but let's get real, we'll be lucky if we get half that.

hmmm, would a logistic vehicle require a logistics officer? Hope to head to Borden after BMQ.

Logistic vehicle = truck. Truck requires truck driver. Army truck driver = MSE Op (and Medic, and Signaller, and Infanteer and Combat engineer and Cook and . . . and . . . and . . .)

Logistic vehicle = truck. Truck requires truck driver. Army truck driver = MSE Op (and Medic, and Signaller, and Infanteer and Combat engineer and Cook and . . . and . . . and . . .)
Logistic trucks are used to transport everything the military needs in a theater of operations - everything from troops, to food, to batteries & misc kit.

The biggest logistics vehicle fleets we have can even transport other smaller vehicles (vehicles break down, and it's not like we can call AMA if it isn't easily fixable)

The logistics vehicles tend to be driven by MSE Operators (mobile support equipment is what MSE stands for) but not always. They can be driven by anybody qualified to drive them - it really is task dependent.

Logistics members tend to see to the ordering/purchasing of equipment at the unit level, or acquiring it from national stores or other units - and making it available to the unit that needs it. (Among many many other things)

(Hopefully I explained things accurately...if not I give it about 30 seconds before we both find out!)

It seems to me like we are making progress on acquisitions though? Theres no point in us buying more equipment if we cant man it either

F18's replacement F35 ordered
Aurora replacement P8 ordered
Polaris replacement A330MRTT ordered
Buffalo replacement A295 ordered (hesitation on this one lol)
aircrew training = FACT
Cormorant upgrade and additional aircraft ordered
Griffen upgrade in planned
Cyclone helicopter almost all delivered
MQ9B UAV contract awarded
AOPS almost delivered for RCN
AOR being built
CSC about to begin
MSVS-SMP delivered
LVM contract awarded
ACSV program in progress

admittedly we have a big hole to dig out of

It seems to me like we are making progress on acquisitions though? Theres no point in us buying more equipment if we cant man it either

aircrew training = FACT
AOR being built
CSC about to begin
MSVS-SMP delivered
LVM contract awarded
ACSV program in progress

Three army platforms, one of which was procured during the last government's tenure, one fleet that won't see full service for another 4-5 years replacing only half of its predecessors and a gigantic APC that's replacing half of its predecessors, one of which is the last tracked non-tank platform we have with zero intent to procure new track to keep up with the tanks anytime in the foreseeable future. All the while the brewing crisis of CAF equipment was punted down the road until the government couldn't ignore it anymore. Don't be shocked if we aren't tickled pink of this government's procurement strategies.

aircrew training = FACT
AOR being built
CSC about to begin
MSVS-SMP delivered
LVM contract awarded
ACSV program in progress

Hopefully we have people left to use all that kit once it finally shows up.

Three army platforms, one of which was procured during the last government's tenure, one fleet that won't see full service for another 4-5 years replacing only half of its predecessors and a gigantic APC that's replacing half of its predecessors, one of which is the last tracked non-tank platform we have with zero intent to procure new track to keep up with the tanks anytime in the foreseeable future. All the while the brewing crisis of CAF equipment was punted down the road until the government couldn't ignore it anymore. Don't be shocked if we aren't tickled pink of this government's procurement strategies.
In all fairness, we won't need a tracked combat vehicle that can maneuver with the tanks if we don't have tanks 😉

(Which when looking at the size of our military, the size of our tank fleet currently, and how well tanks are faring in the Ukraine/Russia war...I wonder if the money spent on a tracked IFV to support the tanks wouldn't be better spent on drones that can attack enemy vehicles & fortified positions.)

I mean just look at the recent war between Armenia & Azerbaijan. Armenia went in with tanks, while Azerbaijan relied primarily on loitering munitions, attack drones, armed UAV's, etc...and I think it's safe to say it wasn't even a contested fight.

Or Ukraine vs Russia, and the sheer number of drones used by both sides for everything from recce, to comms jamming & CRAM target acquisition, to attacking MBT's, to dropping grenades down chimneys.

If you can get at least a mobility kill on a tank from such a distance he doesn't even know where you came from, and spend maybe $200 on the very upper end in terms of cost while not risking any of your own forces...beats the heck out of risking an expensive MBT & it's crew.

Plus they might actually be well within our budget. Heck we might be able to bypass TB altogether!

In all fairness, we won't need a tracked combat vehicle that can maneuver with the tanks if we don't have tanks 😉

(Which when looking at the size of our military, the size of our tank fleet currently, and how well tanks are faring in the Ukraine/Russia war...I wonder if the money spent on a tracked IFV to support the tanks wouldn't be better spent on drones that can attack enemy vehicles & fortified positions.)

I mean just look at the recent war between Armenia & Azerbaijan. Armenia went in with tanks, while Azerbaijan relied primarily on loitering munitions, attack drones, armed UAV's, etc...and I think it's safe to say it wasn't even a contested fight.

Or Ukraine vs Russia, and the sheer number of drones used by both sides for everything from recce, to comms jamming & CRAM target acquisition, to attacking MBT's, to dropping grenades down chimneys.

If you can get at least a mobility kill on a tank from such a distance he doesn't even know where you came from, and spend maybe $200 on the very upper end in terms of cost while not risking any of your own forces...beats the heck out of risking an expensive MBT & it's crew.

Plus they might actually be well within our budget. Heck we might be able to bypass TB altogether!
Except that runs you into a false dichotomy.

Why won’t the enemy have tanks, UAS and Counter UAS, and lots of Artillery…

True the army does seem to be the red headed step child in the CAF at the moment. I think it is a matter of prioritizing resources. As far as tracked APC/IFV goes the decision was made to cancel that procurement before announcement and 2 of the three contenders were wheeled

The tank is still the king of DFS. Drone developments just reinforce the importance of good tactics, EW and AD. Western tanks are still being used to great effect by Ukrainian forces.

Back