• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tac Vest Issue (when is it comming to a QM near you?)

Actually the TV is being issued by Area not Reg then reserve.  Depending on your Area's plan, it may dictate the priority for issue of the TV.

Jeff

Got mine.  I wouild say it is an ok peice of kit, but could use improvements.

Each mag pouch should hold 2 mags, not 1.
A removable butt-pack should be available

I am thinking to make up for lost storage space I may just remove my canteen holder and use 2 c9 pouches.  Ill just drink from my camelbak.

j, gayson

the "Buttpack" will come, in due time, thats part of the small pack system, it encorparates small pouches that can also   attach to the TV and the New ruck that is set to come out as well somewhere in the future.

as for the magpouches, maybe they should be able to hold 2 mags, but then again what is the battle load fo a C7 rifleman? according to the PAM its 5 X   30 rdmags and a 100 round bandolier. 1 mag on the weapon, 4 in the pouches,. if the time comes that u do need to hold extra mags, u have 13 pockets on youre combat uniform alone, let alone all the pouches on ure tacvest. could they have made it to hold two mags each? yes, but then uve got mags that flop around when u only have 1 mag in each, just my two cents worth ,

as for my own opinion on it, so far i like it, alot better then webbing (mind you i didnt have webbing for very long 8 months including SQ and BIQ) i find the webbing was ok, apart from the pouches that would occasionally fall off, but nothing that couldnt be fixed with a few zapstraps, i found webbing worked best when you used it with  a flak vest, stayed where u wanted it on ure back rather then flopping somewhat around, i havent had that problem with the tacvest, and i found that section attacks with the TV were ALOT easier, no more buttpack at ure neck in the prone, also no pouches falling off.  has alot more pockets then the webbing, so you can sort your gear alot better.  I attached my Peacekeeper hydration pack to the back of my TV(with homemade fastex daisystraps) on Ex's to hold my water(carry my canteen anyways tho, who knows when the hose will break off or sumthing malfunctions on youre hydration pack )you can also attach the Peacekeeper Large pack to the back of the Tacvest if you need more load carriage. once again just my 3 cents,

Marc

The entire Grey and Simcoe FOresters just got issued their TV's last night, pretty shiny.....i dunno when i can put it through its paces, seems all my unit exercises are on teh same weekend as the PLQ.....dam courses

I'm in 32 brigade and our unit got our tac vests yesterday.  They're temporary issue.  I agree with the comment that the mag pouches should hold 2 mags each.

I'm in 39 Brigade so we should be seeing ours in about 2012. Cant wait!

m_a_r_c said:
j, gayson

the "Buttpack" will come, in due time, thats part of the small pack system, it encorparates small pouches that can also   attach to the TV and the New ruck that is set to come out as well somewhere in the future.

as for the magpouches, maybe they should be able to hold 2 mags, but then again what is the battle load fo a C7 rifleman? according to the PAM its 5 X   30 rdmags and a 100 round bandolier. 1 mag on the weapon, 4 in the pouches,. if the time comes that u do need to hold extra mags, u have 13 pockets on youre combat uniform alone, let alone all the pouches on ure tacvest. could they have made it to hold two mags each? yes, but then uve got mags that flop around when u only have 1 mag in each, just my two cents worth ,

MARC,

Think about what you are saying here.  What else do you need to carry in battle?  Frag grenades, smoke grenades, water, rations, gloves, stobe, First Aid kit?  What about field dressings? Have you ever loaded up everything, throw on body armour and get yourself sorted out?  John Wayne'ng grenades is dangerous and having stuff loose and hanging off you makes you noisy and uncomfortable.  Where do you dump your mags after reloading?  The patrol pack might be able to help but where is it?  Have you ever tried doing extensive mag changes with the vest?  Ergonomically they are too high and too tight.  Wait until you get the bayonet in the lip because your vest was a little loose when you dropped down.

Guess what, with just ammo and water you have filled just about every pouch on the vest and you loose all the pockets less the ones on the legs because of the body armour.  You can't carry anything bulky in your pockets under body armour and you can't get to them easily if you did.  It is nice to go light and keep stuff in your vehicle for part of the exercise but it doesn't work on the side of a mountain in Afghanistan.  Just about everyone was loaded up because there was no vehicle to go to and we were expecting contact.  You couldn't carry enough mags.  We were issued 10 mags from the get go.  In Somalia we were issued 13 mags.  Mags don't do much for you on your back where you can't get at them.  When rucks were dumped at an RV, you moved on and some people did not see them for 24 hours. 

Have a look at what people are carrying in Iraq and Afghanistan in terms of gear.  Our kit needs to be flexible and modular.  Each task will have a different requirement.  What about the M203 Grenadiers, C6 and C9 gunners?  The vest is a complete waste of time for them.  So right off the bat, roughly 30-40 % of an infantry rifle company have difficulty using the vest even if you go with a lighter magazine load.  Does that make sense?

I'll admit that I am a lightfighter and was always comfortable living out of my webbing for 24 hours.  Part of it is my background and training but the other side is experiences on operations.  We have become rather clinical when it comes to fighting, clean and neat with everything working out nicely.  My experience says the opposite, each time you go out the door you have to assume everything is going to go for a S%@T.  If you are not prepared to sort yourself out, there is no QM truck going to drive out to help you out.  Granted the patrol pack will assist, but I like first principles.  If it is not strapped to you and tied on, you will lose it or it won't be there when you need it.  The patrol pack should carry items to resupply your second line of gear which is on your vest/webbing not carry gear you need to get to regularly.

Now we start entering the discussion of light vs mech and general combat vs peace support/peacekeeping.  Wouldn't it make more sense to have a modular system which gave us the flexiblity to adapt the gear to the needs of each individual and the realities of the mission?  I don't believe the fact that the patrol pack will give us this flexibilty.  There is a difference between carrying it and being able to use it.  Having something stuffed in the bottom of the patrol pack doesn't me it is ready for use.

The vest is nice for certain applications and for certain people.  My arguement here is we have lost flexiblity in the vest, something we should have gotten in the first place.  For Bosnia type stuff it might be just fine or if you are in Haiti.  As I said in my previous post.  Don't get lost in "Shiny Kit Syndrome".  It is new but not necessarily an improvement.  It is just new. 
Jeff     

Jeff,
Thanks for the informative reply,   like i said that was my opinion based on my limited experiance so far, havent been on tour, and a basic rifleman battleload(plus a bit more ie: C6 Belt)is all ive ever been given(plus water, field dressing...) and for that, the tac vest suited me fine for that, hopefully if i get a chance to get on tour somewhere in the future i will be able to learn from the same experiances you have,until then i can only comment on what i have used it for, and learn form those who have more experiance
thanks ,

Marc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the TV have daisy chains running all the way down the back? Doesn't this mean then, that one could easily attach an aftermarket buttpack to the vest quite easily? It's not hard to make a pack that attaches nicely to daisy chains. Just a thought from a guy who doesn't have the TV yet... 41bde, might have to wait a while.

even with a after market butpack on the TV, i have loaded up my TV with a full canteen and all my normal crap, minus ammo, and it felt slightly uncomfortable on the sholders, i think with the added weight of a battle load and a butpack would be killer on the sholders.

Posthumane said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the TV have daisy chains running all the way down the back? Doesn't this mean then, that one could easily attach an aftermarket buttpack to the vest quite easily? It's not hard to make a pack that attaches nicely to daisy chains. Just a thought from a guy who doesn't have the TV yet... 41bde, might have to wait a while.

You are correct the TV has daisy chains running down the back. During the Ex last weekend i actually attached a personal c9 pouch to the bag to hold my rain gear since all the other  pouches were being used for other important kit.

m_a_r_c said:
j, gayson

as for my own opinion on it, so far i like it, alot better then webbing (mind you i didnt have webbing for very long 8 months including SQ and BIQ) i find the webbing was ok, apart from the pouches that would occasionally fall off, but nothing that couldnt be fixed with a few zapstraps, i found webbing worked best when you used it with   a flak vest, stayed where u wanted it on ure back rather then flopping somewhat around, i havent had that problem with the tacvest, and i found that section attacks with the TV were ALOT easier, no more buttpack at ure neck in the prone, also no pouches falling off.   has alot more pockets then the webbing, so you can sort your gear alot better.   I attached my Peacekeeper hydration pack to the back of my TV(with homemade fastex daisystraps) on Ex's to hold my water(carry my canteen anyways tho, who knows when the hose will break off or sumthing malfunctions on youre hydration pack )you can also attach the Peacekeeper Large pack to the back of the Tacvest if you need more load carriage. once again just my 3 cents,

Marc

Marc, thanks for contributing, but maybe you might want to stand back and listen to what some of the board members with some real-world experience have to say about combat load-carriage before you start beaking off with less than a year in about how a you manage your combat load. 

Morpheus32 summed things up pretty well. 

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the feed ramp(for lack of a better word) on the C-9 pouches? Turns every C-9 gunner into an instant Jesse Ventura. By far the best feature of the vest in my opinion.

Britney, have you loaded 200 round drums into the C-9 pouches and then fed the belt into the weapon directly from the pouches on the vest?

I'd be afraid that every time I ran or went to ground, more and more ammo would feed out of the drum due to the length of the belt reaching from my hip into the weapon and pretty soon I'd have the entire 200 round belt hanging from the feed tray.

Any feedback as to whether this happens or not?

Matt, assuming you are already familiar with the lip on the pouches:

In all honesty, I have not tried it myself with live ammo, never even seriously thought about it. I always thought it was some kind of half joke circulated by the designers. Perhaps KevB can test it out for us at the next ROE range?

What you say makes a lot of sense though, the only situation that I can think of where it might be useful would be perhaps on the hatch of a vehicle with no pintel to mount the weapon on. That way, the gunner can keep the ammunition secure in his vest while making the gun easier to manuever. Could be useful for static defence sitations too, in a trench, no more getting the box snagged in dirt or whatnot while trying to traverse the gun. Just as long as you don't have to move anywhere.

I just got back from my first weekend in the field with the TV.  In that weekend I noticed a few things that I wish were different about the vest.

The velcro pocket on the inside should be a zipper because zippers are stronge rand quieter, also there should be a second one on the left side.

The Vest was actually a lot more comfortable for me than the webbing has ever been.  I wore it with the TCCCS manpack on a foot patrol for roughly 20 hours with a couple of breaks and the only discomfort I felt was the weight on my shoulder after a few hours from the radio itself.

I managed to pack in it my rain coat, extra socks, cam, bug juice, foor powder, FMP, rations, KFS, water, golves, floppy hat and electrical tape.  This being the same load I have always had in my Webbing (except my camera shit which I always kept in the c9 pouch, I'm a photography nut as some may have noticed in my helicoptor pics)

It was cold and wet that weekend, i was uncomfortable but the Tac Vest actually held out well for me, though It doesn;t have the capacity I wish it had I do understand that the actual load bearing system is not complete with the Tac Vest alone.  I'n the meantime I think I'll just have to little more creative and conservative with my kit layout than in the past.

Hey , I'm new to this site. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows when the LFWA (BC) Regiments are getting Tacvests?

Back