• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tablets

Kat Stevens said:
iPod touch in an otter box, about $400 all in. Sorted.  You're welcome.

And there is far cheaper solutions which don't require Apple's proprietary software.

PuckChaser said:
And there is far cheaper solutions which don't require Apple's proprietary software.

That fit in a shirt pocket?  Again, you're welcome.

Kat Stevens said:
That fit in a shirt pocket?  Again, you're welcome.

Because shirt pockets are the overarching factor in picking technological advancements.  ::)

PuckChaser said:
Because shirt pockets are the overarching factor in picking technological advancements.  ::)

No, apparently over engineered, grossly over valued and borderline useless equipment are... ::) back atcha.

PS you really should learn to realize when someone is having a laugh.  Here's a hint;  There isn't much in this forum that I do reply seriously to, as I find the pretty much the whole military system quite funny.

Well then, thanks for chiming in while the rest of us were having a serious discussion.

PuckChaser said:
Well then, thanks for chiming in while the rest of us were having a serious discussion.

It's what I do, you're entirely welcome.

It's time for a........

107210.jpg
    ;)

Tablets would be a great purchase, especially for HQ's who tend to generate an insane amount of paperwork/paper wasting.  I frequently spend hours printing and binding 100's of pages of powerpoint slides a week for any number of briefs my boss has to attend.  If we had tablets, it would save enormous amounts of paper as I would simply be able to upload the briefs to the Commander's tablet which he could then use at the upcoming brief he has to attend.  This would also allow for quick changes to briefs to occur and no longer would staff have to scramble to print out last minute copies of the 200 page powerpoint deck they just made.

This sort of thing is common practice in universities and many work places across the country.  My mother, who works in education, uses a tablet for all her presentations, briefs, etc... that she needs to give or attend; therefore, why does the military have to be any different?

We trialled tablets 2 years ago for our DP2 course...to mixed reviews...

NFLD Sapper said:
We trialled tablets 2 years ago for our DP2 course...to mixed reviews...

I have seen issued blackberry playbooks; however, they ran into major problems because they tried to install Windows XP onto them and make them run on the DWAN like a normal laptop.... classic DND trying to fit a square into a circle ;)

I know some people also didn't like them because.... they *cough* didn't know or want to learn how *cough* to use them.  We tend to be about 10 years behind industry in adopting new practices like this so I expect will have the whole tablet thing sorted out by about 2025.... just about when I am ready to pull pin ;)

RoyalDrew said:
I have seen issued blackberry playbooks; however, they ran into major problems because they tried to install Windows XP onto them and make them run on the DWAN like a normal laptop.... classic DND trying to fit a square into a circle ;)

I know some people also didn't like them because.... they *cough* didn't know or want to learn how *cough* to use them.  We tend to be about 10 years behind industry in adopting new practices like this so I expect will have the whole tablet thing sorted out by about 2025.... just about when I am ready to pull pin ;)

By 2025 we'll have implants in our heads that will down load whatever "the man" wants you to have.

Jim Seggie said:
By 2025 we'll have implants in our heads that will down load whatever "the man" wants you to have.

"You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

;)

RoyalDrew said:

:facepalm:

RoyalDrew said:

RD, that seems pretty outlandish considering the Playbook runs on an arm processor so only Windows RT would have a chance of running on it, and RT is so unpopular that MS is discontinuing them.  All DND/GOC would have to do is buy the 4G version of the Playbook and treat it just like a BB phone without the calling features.

Jon

Old EO Tech said:
RD, that seems pretty outlandish considering the Playbook runs on an arm processor so only Windows RT would have a chance of running on it, and RT is so unpopular that MS is discontinuing them.  All DND/GOC would have to do is buy the 4G version of the Playbook and treat it just like a BB phone without the calling features.

Jon

BB is running on borrowed time at this point, and the Playbook is almost a year discontinued. I know that SSC is trialing BES 10 right now, as well as other 3rd party mobile manager software.

If I were a betting man I would say we'll see an end to the BB only policy within a couple of years as the ability to manage iOS and Android devices from an enterprise perspective is starting to be just as well developed as that for BB.

Once that happens you will see tablets, until then, anything you do see is just something a unit bought out of O&M without proper approval.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
BB is running on borrowed time at this point, and the Playbook is almost a year discontinued. I know that SSC is trialing BES 10 right now, as well as other 3rd party mobile manager software.

If I were a betting man I would say we'll see an end to the BB only policy within a couple of years as the ability to manage iOS and Android devices from an enterprise perspective is starting to be just as well developed as that for BB.

Once that happens you will see tablets, until then, anything you do see is just something a unit bought out of O&M without proper approval.

Well yes the Playbook is EoL but I still have one and it makes a fine ereader among other things.  But the demise of BB has been greatly exaggerated.  With BB10.3 coming out and BES 10/12 there is really no reason to not stay with the most secure system you can get, and the only one currently FIPS certified.  Most people have a bad taste with BB phones because DND buys the cheapest 5 year old curves that Rogers wants to off load on us :-/  My Z10 is as good as any iphone or android out their.  And if you want something closer to a tablet the Z30 is available.  And the new large business oriented BB Passport is about to hit the streets this fall.  And looks like a killer business phone.  But I'm sure some itoy loving exec at SSC will be pushing iphone6's soon and holding up a BBOS 6 curve as evidence :-/

Old EO Tech said:
Well yes the Playbook is EoL but I still have one and it makes a fine ereader among other things.  But the demise of BB has been greatly exaggerated.  With BB10.3 coming out and BES 10/12 there is really no reason to not stay with the most secure system you can get, and the only one currently FIPS certified.  Most people have a bad taste with BB phones because DND buys the cheapest 5 year old curves that Rogers wants to off load on us :-/  My Z10 is as good as any iphone or android out their.  And if you want something closer to a tablet the Z30 is available.  And the new large business oriented BB Passport is about to hit the streets this fall.  And looks like a killer business phone.  But I'm sure some itoy loving exec at SSC will be pushing iphone6's soon and holding up a BBOS 6 curve as evidence :-/

Yes, given the 8 months since I made that post, it does seem that the current BB leadership is doing well, they've made the smart move of retreating from consumer products. They've lost the consumer market, at less than 3% they'll never have the critical mass to make more than a dent there. They are refocusing on business and enterprise customers. Essentially they're pulling an IBM move, which worked wonderfully for Big Blue.

Personally, from an IT standpoint, I really like BB. The phones have an incredibly robus and secure operating system (BB 10, derived from QNX) and it has a powerful management tool in BES.

That said, I'd never buy a blackberry phone as my personal phone, because all the cool new stuff comes out on iPhone and Android first.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
Yes, given the 8 months since I made that post, it does seem that the current BB leadership is doing well, they've made the smart move of retreating from consumer products. They've lost the consumer market, at less than 3% they'll never have the critical mass to make more than a dent there. They are refocusing on business and enterprise customers. Essentially they're pulling an IBM move, which worked wonderfully for Big Blue.

Personally, from an IT standpoint, I really like BB. The phones have an incredibly robus and secure operating system (BB 10, derived from QNX) and it has a powerful management tool in BES.

That said, I'd never buy a blackberry phone as my personal phone, because all the cool new stuff comes out on iPhone and Android first.

Well you can run 95% of android apps on BB10 phones, only ones that require google services can't be run without some hacking.  I much prefer the swiping interface of BB10 to the home button centric iOS, but to each his own.

Old EO Tech said:
Well you can run 95% of android apps on BB10 phones, only ones that require google services can't be run without some hacking.  I much prefer the swiping interface of BB10 to the home button centric iOS, but to each his own.

Yes BB10 can now run Android apps, and yes the OS is a better system, and yes, the hardware is superior to alot of android phones, and no, it won't make a difference and BlackBerry's market share of the consumer market will continue to fade.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
Yes BB10 can now run Android apps, and yes the OS is a better system, and yes, the hardware is superior to alot of android phones, and no, it won't make a difference and BlackBerry's market share of the consumer market will continue to fade.

Well John Chen is certainly more concerned about making money of corporate/government software side of the business.  Saying that BB will fade from the consumer market would depend on what market you are taking about, yes they are already dead in the US and fading in the G8 countries.  But we have yet to see what the impact of the Z3 will have on the bottom line especially in the Asiapacific, middle east and africa, were that phone is doing very well so far.  BB has even started up a new run of the Bold 9900 as many people still want that in countries that still have data per mb based plans were the compression of OS7.1/BES 5 saves a lot of money.  In the end BB doesn't need to push Apple or Android out of the top sales tier to be a profitable company, they just need to find their niche and be the best at it.  I'm personally looking forward to see how the public/business greets the square BB Passport, it has impressive specs and a top notch keyboard, but it's not your normal rectangle of glass.  But looks great for editing docs on a phone.

Back