• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tablets

There were e-readers on sale at Costco last week.  Of course, we can't spend government dollars there.

s2184 said:
Puckchaser, the resolution of your playbook is ok? I bought a playbook from BestBuy for $229 last year & it was a garbage. The resolution was bad and the power section was terrible.

Was absolutely fine for what we needed it for, could even zoom in on diagrams and see the details.

So where did this go?

This is more a less a plea for convenience vice capability, a want more than a need. If the guy keeps the manuals up to date on the device, what stopping him from providing a printed copy for the field? Lets be honest, as soon as this device doesn't work (dead battery, broken) someone is going to say, "You should of printed it." Right?

The easiest, most convenient, cost effective and proven reliable method for the OPs scenario is hard copy.

MOOXE said:
The easiest, most convenient, cost effective and proven reliable method for the OPs scenario is hard copy.
Unlike the OP, I'm going to guess that you're either unfamiliar with how many pubs are out there (and their page count), and/or you've never worked with light infantry and know the weight limits of a ruck -- we don't all have library-sized vehicles for support.

MOOXE said:

Hard copies are junk.  Far too many pages, can't quick search keywords, likely always out of date unless you dedicate a person to reread and pull and insert pages on a daily basis.

Also, the intent of AEL and other Sharepoint sites is to standardize pubs so that everyone is reading the same thing.

I'm relatively old and know that e-copy is the way to go.  To hear a Sig say hard copy over e-copy is a bit of a surprise.  :eek:

Two real COAs and a throw away COA:

1.  E-reader - (preferred for field ranges) for its cheap (yes cheap is good some times), simplistic, light, power conscious ability to manage many pubs.  Draw back is that is all it does.
2.  Tablet - good if you want growth potential and the ability to run other software, apps and other type files.  Draw back is that it is expensive, IT dependent, relatively complex and power hungry.
3.  Hard copies - look great on a shelf, organized for the once in a blue moon someone needs a quick peek at something that likely didn't change in the last week and isn't logged into a computer.

Not enough room in a vehicle, rucks to heavy and having to update the pages daily, come on guys! We are talking about a range here and I think everyone's managed so far with range boxes with hard copies of pubs.

If someone can give a real world example of how not having an e-reader/tablet at a range vice the pubs actually impacting training I'd like to hear.

Adding new electronic equipment to our inventory is very difficult. There's risks involved, a lot of behind the scenes training and maintenance, modifying or loading special software for DWAN access, ruggedizing... It's doable, but for the right reasons. If there's a real training deficiency identified that e-readers or tablets will fill on a range then the military will start moving to fix that.

So we should just stay locked in the 20th century because someone doesn't want extra work.

MOOXE, I am surprised you have already acquired the attitude that if I gave you that pair of socks I have in the back then I would not have the reserve pair to sit on the shelf.  :D

When I was at AUSA 2006 I saw a ruggedized tablet which had VoIP and a radio module, you could download maps, docs and various other programs (it ran Windows, which was the only weakness in that concept) and use it as a VHF voice and data radio platform too.

Since it was somewhat smaller and lighter than an AN/PRC 522 (roughly the size/weight of a CF-28 ruggedized laptop) I think we have a winning concept there. Replace the Windows OS with a UNIX based one and we can use the ruggedized tablet for far more than just storing and reading pams on the range...

recceguy said:
I had all my relevant pams in .pdf format and loaded on my KOBO reader.

Worked fine for anyone needing a quick reference and you couldn't play any stupid games on it.

For manuals and such the Kobo reader is great and has a long battery life, not sure how long it will survive the field though. At $79 from Staples, it worth experimenting with. The BC library system is built to work with Kobo reader, does the military have a electronic library system as well?

(My wife says it's worth immigrating to Canada just for our library system alone)

recceguy said:
So we should just stay locked in the 20th century because someone doesn't want extra work.

Troll.

I would love to be the guy who acquired new equipment to fill a void. As signalers we're also consultants. Our job is not to say yes to every request that comes down the pipe. I am going to advise you based on your requirements and my experience with technology. In this specific case my advise is that tablets are absolutely the wrong piece of equipment for the task. We have alternatives that fulfill the requirement now which nobody can dispute.

To answer the OPs original question. New technology is always being looked at, including tablets. From what I have heard though, there is a directive from the army forbidding any purchases of tablets. Can't quote or give a reference on that sorry. Its probably based on a number of issues such as finance and security.

MOOXE said:
Troll.

I would love to be the guy who acquired new equipment to fill a void. As signalers we're also consultants. Our job is not to say yes to every request that comes down the pipe. I am going to advise you based on your requirements and my experience with technology. In this specific case my advise is that tablets are absolutely the wrong piece of equipment for the task. We have alternatives that fulfill the requirement now which nobody can dispute.

To answer the OPs original question. New technology is always being looked at, including tablets. From what I have heard though, there is a directive from the army forbidding any purchases of tablets. Can't quote or give a reference on that sorry. Its probably based on a number of issues such as finance and security.

Careful with the named calling.

I asked a question to clarify your reluctance. Sorry if you didn't expect to get called on your opinion.

And sorry if you didn't expect to get called on your comment.

MOOXE said:
And sorry if you didn't expect to get called on your comment.

I did expect a response. That's why I asked the question.

What I did expect was an informed opinion, not childish name calling.

So cut the smarmy shit and stick to the subject.

"So we should just stay locked in the 20th century because someone doesn't want extra work."

I didn't see a question. Just a sarcastic remark intended to make incite a reaction.

Sure. Whatever. I forgot a question mark, sue me.

Your obviously not interested in exploring the subject except for your own view.

So have a nice day.

You've beaten me. I'll just take my KOBO that served me so well in the field, cheaply and without worry, and go home :salute:

MOOXE,....lighten up lad, I would have asked the same question as RG did.

MOOXE said:
As signalers we're also consultants. Our job is not to say yes to every request that comes down the pipe. I am going to advise you based on your requirements and my experience with technology. In this specific case my advise is that tablets are absolutely the wrong piece of equipment for the task. We have alternatives that fulfill the requirement now which nobody can dispute.

I have about three decades worth of experience, out of four in uniform in total, of "consultants" and experts  - and not just sigs "consultants" and experts - "advising" us based upon their superior knowledge of our requirements and then throwing out every obstacle to satisfying real needs imaginable.

Operators tend to understand their requirements much better than consultants, and are generally quite aware of the viable technological solutions to those requirements. They have, as some here have stated, even confirmed what works and what doesn't using their own kit.

Back