• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

T.V's in Reserve messes

rounder

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright... I just want a consensus on what people think. Are TV's in messes (on parade nights) good or bad?

I'm old fashioned.  TVs in TV rooms are fine - they are never appropriate in the Mess at large.

Harumph says the old fart...

NO.  I think it would take away from the mess experience.  Why sit and watch Tv when you can drink and complain? >:D

Having a TV in the mess is fine. Having the TV on in the mess after a parade night is a bad idea because it distracts the troops from the important tasks of b****ing about the army and drinking (aka bonding).

Or you could have TV on, watch Most Extreme Elimination Challenge while getting drunk and mocking the contestants. ;)

Troops will always swap stories... no matter what they are doing. :)

TVs are necessary for other bonding events; when Calgary was in the Stanley Cup Finals, our NCOs even let us off work early to go watch the games.  Grey Cup parties and the like are appropriate for messes as well.  Simpsons reruns after parade - not for me, but better than the loud shitty heavy metal music they tend to play otherwise.

Yea I admit the T.V. was nice during the games, Michael. I don't generally go into the other room where the TV is, but I did the other night to watch the training from the weekend before, and a British SAS thing.

When I was Home Station PMC in Calgary, this issue came up and I am glad to say that we did not fall into the trap of putting the TV in the bar area: IMHO a huge mistake. Instead, we put it in the TV room where it belongs. The Mess (especially the  bar....) is to relax, talk, meet visitors, etc. We do not need some idiot, eyes rivetted on the idiot box, yelling out every thirty seconds; "Hey you guys-SHUTUP- I can't hear the game..."

TVs have their place but not as the centrepiece of our Mess life. Cheers.

Speaking for my reserve JR Mess, we do have a TV, as well as bar, pool etc all in the same large room. Yes, sometimes the TV is on after parade nights, but even when it is most of the troops still sit down and shoot the <vulgarity> as opposed to being hooked on the TV. So I can't say it's that bad.

If it does hit the point where troops sit down and watch TV as opposed to shooting the shit after a parade night, then there's a problem, but I don't see it heading that way any time soon, at least in my mess...

Just my $0.02 Canadian, no refund.

I assume you mean "television", not "transvestite".  (For amusement, read all of the above using the alternate interpretation.)

TELEVISIONS are not a problem, loud music is.  How are you supposed you have a conversation when you can't even hear the people over the music.

RoyalHighlandFusilier said:
Or you could have TV on, watch Most Extreme Elimination Challenge while getting drunk and mocking the contestants. ;)

Troops will always swap stories... no matter what they are doing. :)

SOOOO many nights of doing that, and then thinking of ways that we could hold our own MXC in the armouries without getting caught(remember, drunk)....lmao too much fun

I assume you mean "television", not "transvestite".  (For amusement, read all of the above using the alternate interpretation.)

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Mess (the Seafoth Jr. Ranks) has two rooms: the main bar area and the 'Corporals Lounge' (or 'Shag pit' if you like a challenge on party nights). They both have tvs, but the one in the Cpls Lounge is the good one, and the only one that's really used. If the Canucks are playing that night, we might turn on the TV to see the highlights, but the volume stays off (unless it's the Playoffs), and the music (Motorhead, Old Metallica, etc) says LOUD.

We had an issue a few years ago where we had guys watching tv and/or reading stupid magazines (Esprit de Corps) instead of talking and getting to know the rest of the troops. We harangued them for it and eventually they realized the Mess is a lot more fun when you are with the rest of us, drinking and carousing and generally doing unhealthy things.

we do have a TV, as well as bar, pool etc all in the same large room.

You have a pool in your mess? Holy crap!.....oh, I suppose you mean a pool TABLE. If we had one of those, we would probably break the cues over someones head, throw the balls onto the Sgts/WOs Mess balcony, and use the table to shag girls at mess parties. We would be better served to buy broom handles and camp cots, and gather stones from the parking lot.

Does any other Res Jr. Ranks Mess have pool tables? Is it still standing?

Once upon a time....there was a pool table in the Seaforth Jr Rank's Mess.  Exactly what you figured would happen....did.  Hence...no pool table any more.  ;)

beach_bum said:
Once upon a time....there was a pool table in the Seaforth Jr Rank's Mess.   Exactly what you figured would happen....did.   Hence...no pool table any more.   ;)

Did he call the next morning, at least?

I gave him a fake number.  ;)  I heard that he broke your heart.  LOL

ARMYboi69 said:
I really think they're unnecessary if you're in the Reserves.   You're at your Regiment/Corps for 2 hours a week, and during that time you should be training.   What are you going to do in 2 hours besides to training?   If they're only there for 2 hours a week then they need to be doing training the whole time, so I don't think they should be there.

ARMYboi69
and how about the all the time that you spend in the mess afterwards?? it is easily double to training timing and the ONLY time you are allowed to drink in uniform, having a TV(transvestite, I mean television) can act as a great conversational piece as long as no one is really watching it....

I don't know what unit you are in, but we train for 3 hours, and then we go to the mess. after the training time.

spacelord said:
I don't know what unit you are in, but we train for 3 hours, and then we go to the mess. after the training time.
rougly the same here, I think that Spaceboi is a cadet...

Back