• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suspect in bomb plot was Canadian soldier

Journeyman said:
Ri-iiiight.....that's were I was going with that   :-X

Now id on't know my science very well but if you destroy the center of the universe then would that not leave a black hole ?  ;D

Seriously though, that would really piss alot of leafs fan off on the Rock.

See they plan to attack our Political or Finicial sectors and it makes the news and gets people scared.  You wanna piss a Canadian off you attack Rexal place when game 3 or 4 or 6 of the Stanely cup finals is on.

That get the country motivated.
:salute:

Back on track now I hope.

Toronto is seen as the center of Canada (rightly or wrongly) more people from around the world can pick TO over Ottawa as our Capatial.  (americans don't count, most can't find Canada on a map).  That is why they target the city.

Wizard of OZ said:
See they plan to attack our Political or Finicial sectors and it makes the news and gets people scared.

Great point about financial sectors. Hacking into and disrupting bank/credit card records would cause massive, in many cases, irreparable damage without having to shed a drop of blood.

(americans don't count, most can't find Canada on a map).

Yeah, I doubt that, I think you've been watching a few too many episodes of the simpsons.

Infidel-6 said:
IIRC the RCMP does not use Polygraphys...

Personally I think poly's suck -- they can be beaten - and you can fail them even if not guilty of things they are looking for (speakign from the perspective of someone who has doen both....)

The RCMP recently started using the polygraph again - http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/polygraph_e.htm

Wizard of OZ said:
Now id on't know my science very well, but if you destroy the center of the universe then would that not leave a black hole ?  ;D

Seriously though, that would really piss alot of leafs fan off on the Rock.

See, they plan to attack our Political or Finicial sectors and it makes the news and gets people scared.  You wanna piss a Canadian off, you attack Rexal place when game 3 or 4 or 6 of the Stanely cup finals is on.

That get the country motivated.
:salute:

Back on track now I hope.

Toronto is seen as the center of Canada (rightly or wrongly). More people from around the world can pick TO over Ottawa as our Capatial.  (americans don't count, most can't find Canada on a map).  That is why they target the city.

(americans don't count, most can't find Canada on a map

However, many Canadians are also geographically challenged these days. Especially, the ones that can't spell or use proper grammar and punctuation.

That is why they target the city.

Unless your a world renowned expert on Islamic terrorism, this is only your opinion.

I don't think any heightened screening would have done anything.  Marc Sageman's profile on the "Jihadist's abroad" is that they are the most unassuming characters (as one poster said, they do whatever 95% of their fellow youth do) and that they do an about face and go hardcore.  The 9/11 hijackers, along with others profiled in his book, fit the bill and I'm sure our gang does as well.  These aren't people who have harboured ambitions of jihad since there upbringing in the madrassas; most of the time they abruptly leave quite secular lifestyles as their dedication to militant Salafism grows within their small group.

I think McVeigh, who from all accounts was a dedicated and motivated soldier in the US Army, is a similar case as well.

TMM said:
Great point about financial sectors. Hacking into and disrupting bank/credit card records would cause massive, in many cases, irreparable damage without having to shed a drop of blood.

Credit card transactions are backed up by computer in 3 different locations by each banking institution
if i remember correctly.  To do what you suggest is improbable and already planned for by risk analysts
in each company.

Freight_R031 said:
The RCMP recently started using the polygraph again - http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/polygraph_e.htm

Thanks for clarifying - I was informed they did but that previous reply saying they didnt threw me for a loop!  Why did they stop and when?

i have always had a few thoughts on this subject.

no large group of people no matter what the make up of the group is will you have 100 percent law a biding persons tring to join, or join or leave the group and be perfect for life. every group has it bad seeds. weed them out or what ever happens happens.

a lot of nut cases want to join the boy scouts, the army and yes even the girl guides. nothing can be done to weed these people out 100 percent of the time . some times every group needs some sort of nut case because the nut case is the perfect peg for the square hole.
Lee Harvey Oswald was one of the few, the proud the marnies. he was a good marnine just a screwball who ended up shooting a president.

so one guy  who had joined a res unit and ended up quiting and from the sound of things was not a very good soldier, who never finished training, does not make him an weapons expert. i am sure there are guys here have the same level of training and finished the courses, does that make them weapons experts?  I have my ql3 INF, i can still fire decently, clean and prepare my weapon for inspection and pass, but i am not no expert.  One or two range weekends a year does not make you anything but sadden it only comes a few times a year
Media found some facts and twisted them just a little.
I read that in the paper and then read how the JTF2 was on alert for back up to the police if required. I am sure had it come down to having a high risk take down and having to face a SWAT  type police team and or the JTF2 all the range weekend exercises he was not going to be any match for the true Experts.

anyone check and see if any of those nice Canadians were boy scouts? i remember i being an expert at capture the flag games.

one last comment

I was applying for my Green Card in the USA while I was married to an american, one of the boxes that  I had to check off was somethign worded like this.

Have you ever belonged to a group or want to join a group that had or was , is planning to over throw the government of the United States of America  by force?  check yes or no box.  as if anyone who did want to do such a thing would check yes box.  but i guess sometimes the easiest way  to find out is to ask directly  what  the intentions are of some people.

recceguy said:
However, many Canadians are also geographically challenged these days. Especially, the ones that can't spell or use proper grammar and punctuation.

Unless your a world renowned expert on Islamic terrorism, this is only your opinion.

Spelling and grammar is an art. 

Everything I write is my opinion unless i source it from somewhere which is kinda what I thought this form was.  A place to discuss our thoughts and opinions on specific articles. 

As for the American crack that was a joke, and it did not come from the Simpson's, but from Rick Mercer.  If I offended anyone I am sorry.

On topic

Other then the Parliament buildings being the seat of political power for the nation, Toronto is truly seen as the economic and financial hub of the country so in my opinion (for recceguy  ;) )  That is why they would want to attack Toronto.

You have to wonder if the RCMP did not know of the impending takedown of this cell though.  Only a few days earlier they moved the PM and his detail from Crown Vics and I SUV to a fleet of armoured SUV's.  Coincidence or inside knowledge.  I remember hearing some bitching coming from the NDP about that and how the PM was not helping in the greenhouse gas emission area.

OK sorry that was a little off topic to.

Back