• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supplements

I am not 'advising' to take it...I am suggesting that you make sure you need it and if you decide to use it, make sure you aren't putting crap into your body for no reason though.

FWIW, I also talked to a nutritionist employed by the CF...wealth of info out there, make sure the stuff you make decisions on is credible.

Someone told me that using such pills is against military law, well atleast on the initial courses it is.

It is against the policy put out by the Commandant of CFLRS.  Direction found in the Joining Instructions on the CFLRS site.

Eye In The Sky said:
I use one of the Costco brands as well, and and found that it is a better deal than what I was using (ISO Xp) dollar-wise.  Before buying, you need to check your 'bang for the buck' on the stuff.

Basically, look at the 'serving size' and then look at how many grams of protein is in it.  The higher the better, Iso XP is the best I've had (58g serving has 50g of protein, I use 1/2 scoop for 1 serving).  The lower the % of protein, the more crap and filler there is.  1 of the Costco types was junk IMO, and one was good (can't remember the name, white container with green stickers on it IIRC).

You're thinking of the Kaizen brand. Costco has been raising the price on it steadily in the last year and I think it's up to 48.99 now for a 5lb jug. It's still (IMHO) the best value for whey protein in most local markets by its very low carb, sugar, and fat. No chemicals or bells and whistles that are usually unnecessary and saturate the crap one buys for $90+ at GNC either.

One large mistake that a lot of young guys trying to put on muscle make is oversaturating their bodies with protein. A body can only absorb so much so fast, and if it's taken in lieu of carbs their workout will inevitably suffer due to lack of energy. I've seen guys taking 300+ grams per day and it's just unnecessary and ineffective.

Anakha said:
You're thinking of the Kaizen brand. Costco has been raising the price on it steadily in the last year and I think it's up to 48.99 now for a 5lb jug. It's still (IMHO) the best value for whey protein in most local markets by its very low carb, sugar, and fat. No chemicals or bells and whistles that are usually unnecessary and saturate the crap one buys for $90+ at GNC either.

One large mistake that a lot of young guys trying to put on muscle make is oversaturating their bodies with protein. A body can only absorb so much so fast, and if it's taken in lieu of carbs their workout will inevitably suffer due to lack of energy. I've seen guys taking 300+ grams per day and it's just unnecessary and ineffective.

Anakha, you do realize that this was about 6 months old eh? :)

But I find using post workout mixes helps a lot, I use to take post work out afterwards, and I never, and I mean never since I used it at the time felt any post pain. But thats just me. :p Now I gotta get back into shape as I havent worked in quite some time..........

-Brandon

Just tagging onto this topic - SuperStore has their own brand of whey isolate protein.

Its made by the Presidents Choice brand - very affordable, low fat, low sugar, low carb, and tastes great.  Not a super strong taste either, so it mixes well with the rest of your post workout shake. 

Their vanilla flavor is great for baking with, for those of us who are muscle addicts and everything in our diet has to serve a purpose.  (Great for protein pancakes, protein granola bars, etc etc.)

Brandonfw said:
Anakha, you do realize that this was about 6 months old eh? :)

But I find using post workout mixes helps a lot, I use to take post work out afterwards, and I never, and I mean never since I used it at the time felt any post pain. But thats just me. :p Now I gotta get back into shape as I havent worked in quite some time..........

-Brandon

Better late than never?  ;D

,..and it is still only 48.99 at Costco. IMO it's quality stuff without the fillers. Bought two tubs last week. The vanilla tastes better than the chocolate. Buy some All Greens and Omega 3 fish oil with it while you are there.

Nemo888 said:
,..and it is still only 48.99 at Costco. IMO it's quality stuff without the fillers. Bought two tubs last week. The vanilla tastes better than the chocolate. Buy some All Greens and Omega 3 fish oil with it while you are there.

I prefer the chocolate. I found the vanilla kind of chalky tasting, but the Decadent Chocolate tasted more like an actual milk shake.

To each his own, though. And even the vanilla tastes much better than most protein powders which most resemble dirty gravel wrapped in fail.

Anakha said:
...... most protein powders which most resemble dirty gravel wrapped in fail.
Not sure if that's a typo for "foil," or bitch-slapping people who prefer vanilla.  Funny, either way.    ;D

Journeyman said:
Not sure if that's a typo for "foil," or *****-slapping people who prefer vanilla.  Funny, either way.    ;D

Wasn't a typo or a slight to vanilla lovers, but more of a commentary on the large majority of protein powders that promise "great taste!" and deliver nothing of the sort.  :boke:  ;D

(edit: Added barfy guy)

Protein powders are designed to taste like crap to people who shouldn't be drinking them.

Fact.

I use to have a orange flavor for my pre workout mixes when I was in the police college, and lemon-lime mix for post workouts. tasted extremely good, especially if mixed properly.  With my current civi job, I DO get a 10-15% discount off of supplements at Supplement Kings here in Halifax ;)
Haters gonna hate :p

-Brandon

Brandonfw said:
I use to have a orange flavor for my pre workout mixes when I was in the police college, and lemon-lime mix for post workouts. tasted extremely good, especially if mixed properly.  With my current civi job, I DO get a 10-15% discount off of supplements at Supplement Kings here in Halifax ;)
Haters gonna hate :p

-Brandon

:-\

And have you looked at the ingredients used to flavour your mixes?  The wife having been diagnosed with Cancer now has us reading the labels on all products that we are injesting, and the amount of carcinogenic additives, preservatives, pesticides, etc. in our foods (including supplements and even vitamins) is amazing.  To flavour your food, they have to add something that is not 'natural' or high in sugar.  This is a bad thing.

George Wallace said:
:-\

And have you looked at the ingredients used to flavour your mixes?  The wife having been diagnosed with Cancer now has us reading the labels on all products that we are injesting, and the amount of carcinogenic additives, preservatives, pesticides, etc. in our foods (including supplements and even vitamins) is amazing.  To flavour your food, they have to add something that is not 'natural' or high in sugar.  This is a bad thing.

I was about to say Crystal Light packets are not too bad as they are only 5 calories... But I just read into a page of the ingrediants, and I am completely shocked :crybaby:

But one way to actually lose weight, is to play Dance Dance Revolution XD That's what I did for less than a year, and lost around 100 pounds  ;D (well, eatin healthy helps with that too)  ;D

-Brandon

I hope you lie and tell people you did Ironman trg or something vice "Dance Dance Revolution"  ;D

And if you DID tell the truth...how long before the jokes about "Richard Simmons Sweatin' To The Oldies" began??  >:D

Eye In The Sky said:
I hope you lie and tell people you did Ironman trg or something vice "Dance Dance Revolution"  ;D

And if you DID tell the truth...how long before the jokes about "Richard Simmons Sweatin' To The Oldies" began??  >:D

You *** lol. I didn't lie, people get a good laugh out of it, but i didn't lie :D And nope, no jokes about Richard XD but hey, great and fun way to lose so much weight! I was almost 300 pounds in 2009, come fall of 2010 i was 175 pounds!! ... But, since I met my woman, I kinda gained a gut back again, weighing around 215-220 XD I gotta get back into shape.... too bad I no longer have DDR  >:D

-Brandon

Not roids but I take Cellucor C4 really gives me that extra boost of energy needed. I like to drink Red Bull as well.

When I was playing football in grade 12, leading up to my first year I was taking NoXplode, Purple K, and Anabolic Prescription. I went from a 225 max bench to 305 bench in about 6 months, and put on about 20lbs in muscle. Now not so much anything, more about watching what I eat and just exercising.

Back