• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Student Mistakenly Ejects From Harvard II

crazyleggs

Inactive
Reaction score
From the Moose Jaw Times Herald

http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=21165&sc=3

A student NATO Flying Training in Canada pilot training program was ejected from the Harvard II aircraft he was in as it was on the ground at 15 Wing Wednesday morning.
    The student and an instructor — both Canadians whose names have not been released — were on the ground preparing to taxi when the incident occurred at 8:57 a.m.
    “The (ejection) seat worked as advertised,” said Lt.-Col. Paul Goddard, acting commander for 15 Wing. “The parachute opened and (the student) landed here on the ramp.”
    The instructor remained inside the plane.
    Both were taken to Moose Jaw Union Hospital with minor cuts and bruises and were released shortly after noon.
    It is not yet known what caused the student to eject, but Goddard said he was new to the NFTC.       
    “He was just beginning Phase 2 (of military pilot training) and it was his first flight in the aircraft.”
    The student, who completed Phase 1 on the Grob G-120 in Portage La Prairie, Man., last fall, has about 40 hours of combined experience on single-engine military and civilian aircraft, said 15 Wing spokeswoman Lt. (Navy) Petra Smith.
    He would also have had four practice flights in a CT-156 Harvard II simulator, as well as extensive emergency and ejection training, before Wednesday’s flight, she confirmed.
    The only damage to the aircraft was caused by the student detonating an explosive cord to blow apart the canopy and propel his ejection seat into the air.
    None of the surrounding aircraft were affected.
    A Canadian Forces Flight Safety team is currently investigating the incident, the first ejection by a 15 Wing student pilot since May 14, 2004.       
    It is not yet known when, or if, the student will return to the NFTC training program.
    “While the incident is certainly unfortunate, I think it highlights the excellent equipment and reliability and outstanding maintenance that goes along with the assets here that support the (NFTC),” said Goddard.
    All flights on Harvard aircraft were suspended after the incident and pilots were to remain grounded until at least 9 a.m. today.
    Snowbirds pilots, as well as students and instructors flying the CT-155 Hawk trainer, resumed normal operations around 1 p.m. Thursday.

Well...that blows!

From the report, it looks like it might have been a malfunction.
Whether human or mechanical is up to the BOI.
But one thing is "fur sur".....ooops!
........do over? :pop:

Well I'm glad everyone is OK, that must have been one hell of a ride.

Probably joined to be airborne...and got stuck with pilot; hitting the 'exit' button is as close as he's going to get.

But now he's got a "jump story," so at least his sex life will pick up   ;D

Commence dogpile ;D

I wonder if that mishap qualifies him for entry into the Martin-Baker tie club...

that's really unfortunate, if it was a malfunction, too bad for the technicians i guess , if it was student's mistake too bad for him.
I actually watched the video of the 2004 ejection yesterday , a bird flies into the hawk's engine intake , it is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuLcVkW4YVg

...the yellow handle ISN'T to set the brake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was kind of cool in a sick morbid curiositic way?!?!

Journeyman said:
Probably joined to be airborne...and got stuck with pilot; hitting the 'exit' button is as close as he's going to get.

But now he's got a "jump story," so at least his sex life will pick up   ;D

Commence dogpile ;D
  :rofl: :rofl:

I know it is a training accident, but I have to ask, what is the cost of the error? How much to get the ejection system (seat/canopy ect) reset for the next use? and all other costs for this error?

Edit: This is a rhetorical question. I was trying to get people thinking about how much an "oops" can cost even in training.

Apparently the pinky is stronger than anybody thinks... Glad to here he is OK. In the old days an accident like that would have written of the A/C. Replace the canopy and seat (and 2 pair of underware) and shes good to go. Way cheaper than a multi million dollar plane.

RiggerFE said:
Apparently the pinky is stronger than anybody thinks... Glad to here he is OK. In the old days an accident like that would have written of the A/C. Replace the canopy and seat (and 2 pair of underware) and shes good to go. Way cheaper than a multi million dollar plane.

The thumb you mean ;)

Are you sure it's only a matter of replacing the seat and the canopy?  I'm guessing there is going to be a lot of inspections involved for overstress and all the systems in the cockpits (because of the heat generated by the rockets). 

Amazing how Martin Baker makes good ejection seats...  I was talking to the guy 2-3 hours after the incident... 

Max

Wait until the initial report is released. SP and IP are fine. DFS has cleared the aircraft for Tuesday to resume training flights.

Seat works as advertised.

Remember the order will be eject, eject, eje...... What the fu.....  ;D

IIRC, it's a pretty substantial pull to get the seat to go, something in the neighbourhood of a 40 lb pull on the handle, you really need to be pulling it to get it to go.

I recall many times trying to get my safety pin in only to realize I was hanging on to the handle while searching for tiny hole the safety pin went into.

Inch, Zoomie Dewy et al, I would keep an eye out for the next Flight Directorate.

It appears that the SP accidentally looped the communication cord through the handle then attached it to his crew 60. As he rotated his body right to left to pick something off his left lap, the tension was such enough to set the chair off.

Coms cords in the Harvard have since been "leashed" so that there isn't 18 inches of slack.

Imagine, first flight, with helmet mask (that inhibits view)- winter kit, stress of your first flight... and an extra long coms cord.

Lesson learned.

We've been flying Harvards for 7 years now, never has this been a concern. Many, many people have gone before this guy with out having a problem. To blame it on equipment and not improper strap in technique is a little off the mark. When I went through, you made sure that everything was out of the way so you wouldn't have a problem when ejecting. My first flight was in Jan of 03, in full winter kit, and you know my build... I was like the StayPuff marshmallow man walking out to the aircraft.

I never had a problem with comms cords getting in the way. The only thing I ever did was try to push the ejection handle out of the way so I could see the hole for the safety pin, quite difficult when you don't have a neck like the one I lack, in a winter flying jacket, with an LPSV on and strapped into a parachute harness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against making things safer. I'm just against saying it was an equipment fault when 1000+ students before this guy strapped in with the same kit on, and in the first couple years, more kit (ie G-Pants), without so much as a hiccup. Perhaps Bombardier is dropping the ball in egress and strap in procedure training?

Having said that, Flight Safety will decide the cause factors and the rectification so I digress.

Back