• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

We Canadians have no idea what sacrifice means. Some- not all - love to see others make a lot of money.

Then berate them for making money and taxing the living shit out of them. True believers. I live in the MSSR - and this is so true here.

As far as seniority at the federal level goes, my father worked for a Crown Corporation for 45 years. His earning potential and quality of life improved with every year of seniority. I saw that with my own eyes.

Fair? Unfair? Depends on one's point of view, I suppose.

But, he, like everyone else, was made aware of that fact, before they made the decision to hire on.

Depends on the collective agreement. Ours was almost exclusively Senior Qualified Process.
Relative Ability Process only applied in extremely rare situations .

"Hate" that? Don't join our little club. Stick with your first career.

That had been the process for well over a half a century before I decided to join our union.

Only way I could get summer vacation was by going away with the army for two weeks every summer.

That is the ( unofficial ) reason they never rehired people who were trying to "get back in".

They tended to be very resentful that their seniority had been "taken away" from them, and they had to go back to the bottom of the list.
Seniority does not mean competence, don't like it we can vote to have the rules changed.

Saying "don't join our little club" screams a sense of entitlement and is the prime example as to why seniority should be one of a few metrics used.

Difference is CAF members would have said "huh, that's shitty", then climbed back in their LAV turret or rowboat or Sopwith Hornet and got on with their jobs, not throw their teddy out of the pram and refuse to work.
I am willing to bet that if that was an option, a surprising number of CAF members would be out on the picket lines.

Seniority does not mean competence, don't like it we can vote to have the rules changed.

Don't like the rules? Don't join. That applies to any organization.

Or join, and "vote to have the rules changed".

My father's, and his father's, union was formed 8 May 1863.
The three emergency services unions in our town were formed on separate dates in 1917 and 1918.

Nothing new about seniority in unions.

Saying "don't join our little club" screams a sense of entitlement and is the prime example as to why seniority should be one of a few metrics used.

Thanks for the scolding. We got a lot of that from the "I pay your salary" types.

As I have tried to explain, so many times, some things were based on the "Senior Qualified Process". Some were based on the "Relative Ability Process".

It's Internal. So, if you don't work there, you don't have make it your business to worry about about it.

Or, put in your application. Make it your business. Worry about it. "Vote to have the rules changed."

Good luck with that. :salute:

Putting your hands in your pockets in the Army is basically going on strike.

In the RCAF, it is “tuesday”…
I've been doing it on other days of the week too. Am I a trailblazer?

Meme Think GIF

Most of our recruits who had a problem with rules they felt were "arcane" seemed to be older and wiser individuals with "life experience", beginning a new career.

Perhaps, less "moldable" than we were. We came in under the watchful eyes of the '46ers.

I think for that reason, the employer preferred to recruit directly from the two local college "farm teams", which recruited from the local high schools, rather than "off the street."

I am willing to bet that if that was an option, a surprising number of CAF members would be out on the picket lines.
No doubt. But it isn't, so they didn't. The entire comparison is flawed.

Yes if they want strike pay they need to do 4hours. The rest of the day is yours as long as you don’t go to your PS work. You can outright not picket and not cross the line but you won’t get strike pay.
I suppose that's why people are sitting in chairs and walking up and down a street - not far from a workplace, but certainly not picketing it.

No doubt. But it isn't, so they didn't. The entire comparison is flawed.
If we want to be comparing public sector and point to the private sector as the standard that should be then yes. People here forget that the CAF is public sector. And is almost always included in those calculations when comparing both.

Back