• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

PSAC is going through roughly $11M a day in strike pay. In a few days the coffers will be empty and they will be forced to find alternative funding, possibly from affiliated unions, or abandon the strike.

Maybe this is exactly what the Liberals want. Bleed the other public sector unions through PSAC so they are too broke to go on strike.
Possibly. We just received word that our local and national are increasing our top up. We were getting 75 plus 75 and now we are getting an additional 50. So 200$ a day now. Not everyone is in the same boat though.

Got your point.

You may have missed mine.

Let's wait until the class-action is finished, before saying who gets how much. $

I love my community so much ... I am heartbroken by the trauma that is being inflicted on me and my neighbours ... to feel like a prisoner in my own home by people who claim to stand for freedom.
- Zexi Li

If someone feels being "detained" by a picket line is comparable, they can go the same route she did.
Got it. Fair enough :)

The majority of the public: not alot of sympathy it seems...

Overpaid or undervalued? Politics divides opinions of federal employees’ working conditions & compensation​

Past CPC voters three times as likely as past Liberals & New Democrats, to say federal workers overpaid

April 27, 2023 – As the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) strike passes the one-week mark, both sides in the contract dispute are under more pressure to reach an agreement. Union negotiators have reportedly moved off wage demands that asked for a 13.5 per cent increase in compensation over three years. The federal government has reportedly offered nine per cent over that period.

Public opinion data from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute finds that while Canadians are sympathetic to many demands, a majority also feel that federal employees are fairly (36%) or overly (28%) compensated. Just one-in-five (17%) feel workers are underpaid.

Past Conservative supporters are by far the most likely to feel employees of the federal government are overpaid (46%), while New Democrats (33%) are most likely to say the opposite.

Views of compensation colour opinions of the union’s demands. Those who feel employees are underpaid are near-unanimous in their support for the aforementioned 13.5 per cent wage increase (91% support).

One area where Canadians are largely unified is the sentiment that federal employees have better working conditions than workers in other similar private industries. Seven-in-ten (72%) feel government workers have it better when it comes to benefits, job security, pension planning, and other perceived perks.

$650 fine = entire bank account frozen? 🤔

😉

But they’re both fruits and you put them in the same basket…not me.
Sure. Pretty sure no single person has had their their bank account frozen for BBQing on a public sidewalk. Glad to be corrected though.

Sure. Pretty sure no single person has had their their bank account frozen for BBQing on a public sidewalk. Glad to be corrected though.
Perhaps I misunderstood your first post upstream…
Just a side story. It looks like some people were fined 650$ for having a BBQ in front of the PMO.

Break the law, get fined. Seems consistent to me.
I thought you were making a case that people that fool around on Wellington Street will find out, as a juxtaposition between Freedom Convoy on Wellington and PSAC strikers on Wellington, and that a fine (as an example of legal action) was appropriate in the more recent contraventions as a consistent basis of action relative to previous contraventions. I may have read more into than you intended.

Possibly. We just received word that our local and national are increasing our top up. We were getting 75 plus 75 and now we are getting an additional 50. So 200$ a day now. Not everyone is in the same boat though.
Not bad pay at all to strike, about the equivalent of a 25$ a hour workday. Getting close to the average wage there.

Not bad pay at all to strike, about the equivalent of a 25$ a hour workday. Getting close to the average wage there.
If I were a guessing man, based on my own experience with people I have spoken to and overheard, it could be that patience from the members is wearing thin. This is likely to encourage them to stay on and not cross the picket line. It’s Friday, 9 days in and I think some people will be reassessing their willingness to keep this up.

All anecdotal on my part.

I wonder how many PSAC members who are also reservists are now getting lots of Class A time ...

Would that be considered crossing the picket line ?

Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office

Yes. I know a few that are filling some tasks. No. It isn’t crossing. And I’ll be honest that I am finally able to catch up on a lot of work.

But, aren't they supposed to be on the picket line ?

Or do people not have to picket every day ?

I think we'll see what happens next week when the first zero paycheque is there, but I hope they put something to a vote soon. The GoC offer on pay seems fair, but I hope they don't accept adding seniority into hiring.

No idea who on the union is trying to shoe horn that in, but I hate seniority becoming a factor over actual competence. If you have more experience but still aren't the best candidate then that says more about you (or maybe a rockstar juniour applicant) than the process.

I think we'll see what happens next week when the first zero paycheque is there, but I hope they put something to a vote soon. The GoC offer on pay seems fair, but I hope they don't accept adding seniority into hiring.

No idea who on the union is trying to shoe horn that in, but I hate seniority becoming a factor over actual competence. If you have more experience but still aren't the best candidate then that says more about you (or maybe a rockstar juniour applicant) than the process.

I think the GoC is feeling the winds and the public, in general, is not in support of the reasons for this strike.

All they have to do is wait. Trudeau is so concerned he's going to NYC.

, but I hate seniority becoming a factor over actual competence.

I joined a PS "muni" union when I was 18. Typically, members who joined the union as older individuals, starting a second career, "hated" the seniority system.

Even though they were told by recruiters what they were getting into - before they decided to hire on.

Our collective agreement used the "Senior Qualified Process", but, ocassionaly, there was a "Relative Ability Process".

Seniority isn't even that big of a deal when you compare preferential hiring based on race, sex and gender. Need to fill those quotas, qualification and competence be damned!

Problem then is what becomes "competence"?........a quick check from the last 10 years of the court martials/ criminal charges of our "obviously competent" folk can confirm that it can become a problem without some safeguards.

Seniority should be part of the process, but I do agree, not "the" process.

Back