• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

They are now completely closing down access to major military bases (CFB Kingston is the first I've seen confirmed). At what point do they realize they have to work with the rest of the Defense Team that wears uniforms, who are actually ordered to stay neutral in this entire situation?
"Completely closing down" or setting up a picket line?

When the civilian employees of the OPP were still with OPSEU, our buildings were picketed during a strike. It was actually quite collegial; we would be delayed in 5-10 minute blocks, chat with people we mostly knew, etc. Frustrating, but you eventually got to work. Then the union brought in strikers from other locals.

Theyre not getting 13%. TBS offered 9%, which is 1% less than we got. Even if they meet in the middle, getting dicked around by folks who are never around when I'm still at work past 4 is not worth 1%. I'll spend more on gas idling trying to get to work for the next few weeks.
One note: the 9% is for three years, not the four that the CAF received. The offer includes 4.5% in the second year, the same year where the CAF will receive 3.5%; so yes, should PSAC settle for 9% there would be presumably a small increase for the CAF as well. If PSAC manages to get more than 9%, then the CAF will presumably get that increase as well.

You really want to go to work that bad?

If they get a really nice serving of gravy this time, I'll bet you don't turn down the drippings that will then fall onto your potatoes.....and without losing a drop of your wages.

Your anger befuddles me....
Wouldn't matter, no facts please......funny how this inconvenience seems soooooooo much greater to some then the one in Ottawa.
I lived this this morning and was refused entry to the base. The pickets were not moving to allow traffic on or off the base and were telling everyone to "call their boss and tell them you're not coming in." As if we have that option.

The issue becomes when the striking affects those that have no possibility of providing meaningful impact to negotiations.

Members live on the McNaughton side of the base in barracks; they need to be free to enter and leave as it's their primary residence. 33 CFHSC is on the McNaughton side of the base; members need to be able to access medical care. CJOC has 3 High Readiness Units housed on the McNaughton side of the base; thet are actively conducting planning and coordination for Expeditionary Ops around the world, including trying to evacuate folks out of Sudan.

No one in a uniform: from the lowest Pte at CFSCE, on BTL to the Base Comd, to the two MGens commanding L2 units can go to TB and rattle their cages to get people back to work. We are entirely apolitical in this strike , however, we are still required to fulfil our duties, as they are critical to national security.

"Do you want to go to work so bad?" Yes. Actually. Because there are people depending on people wearing relish to do their jobs as ordered by the Crown.

"Whatever gravy is received, you'll get the drippings so don't bitch.." is a terrible way to gain sympathy for your cause from folks that will get fuck all from your CBA. We won't have WFH guaranteed, nor will we see a change in any of our living/working conditions because PSAC/UNDE don't have a dog in that fight.

This strike is already causing a lot of polarization and friction between PS and CAF members. I can see this getting worse the more ridiculous the protestors become.

Again this is intimidation, not negotiation. Striking is supposed to be forcing the employer to negotiate by denying your labour. Interfering in others jobs and lives is intimidation, it is a criminal offence, and they should be arrested accordingly.

Intimidation

• 423 (1) Every one is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years or is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction who, wrongfully and without lawful authority, for the purpose of compelling another person to abstain from doing anything that he or she has a lawful right to do, or to do anything that he or she has a lawful right to abstain from doing,
    • (a) uses violence or threats of violence to that person or their intimate partner or children, or injures the person’s property;
    • (b) intimidates or attempts to intimidate that person or a relative of that person by threats that, in Canada or elsewhere, violence or other injury will be done to or punishment inflicted on him or her or a relative of his or hers, or that the property of any of them will be damaged;
    • (c) persistently follows that person;
    • (d) hides any tools, clothes or other property owned or used by that person, or deprives him or her of them or hinders him or her in the use of them;
    • (e) with one or more other persons, follows that person, in a disorderly manner, on a highway;
    • (f) besets or watches the place where that person resides, works, carries on business or happens to be; or
    • (g) blocks or obstructs a highway.

I lived this this morning and was refused entry to the base. The pickets were not moving to allow traffic on or off the base and were telling everyone to "call their boss and tell them you're not coming in." As if we have that option.

The issue becomes when the striking affects those that have no possibility of providing meaningful impact to negotiations.

Members live on the McNaughton side of the base in barracks; they need to be free to enter and leave as it's their primary residence. 33 CFHSC is on the McNaughton side of the base; members need to be able to access medical care. CJOC has 3 High Readiness Units housed on the McNaughton side of the base; thet are actively conducting planning and coordination for Expeditionary Ops around the world, including trying to evacuate folks out of Sudan.

No one in a uniform: from the lowest Pte at CFSCE, on BTL to the Base Comd, to the two MGens commanding L2 units can go to TB and rattle their cages to get people back to work. We are entirely apolitical in this strike , however, we are still required to fulfil our duties, as they are critical to national security.

"Do you want to go to work so bad?" Yes. Actually. Because there are people depending on people wearing relish to do their jobs as ordered by the Crown.

"Whatever gravy is received, you'll get the drippings so don't bitch.." is a terrible way to gain sympathy for your cause from folks that will get fuck all from your CBA. We won't have WFH guaranteed, nor will we see a change in any of our living/working conditions because PSAC/UNDE don't have a dog in that fight.

This strike is already causing a lot of polarization and friction between PS and CAF members. I can see this getting worse the more ridiculous the protestors become.

So the whole system is that f$%ked that a ragtag group of protesters walking around in circles shuts it right down?

Either the most embarrassing thing I've ever heard or the most ridiculous....hard call.

......funny how this inconvenience seems soooooooo much greater to some then the one in Ottawa.

They should launch a class action lawsuit, if their inconvenience seems so much greater.

How are civilians allowed to restrict access to military installations? Must be a Canada thing because I can't imagine people blocking access to Nellis AFB without being on the receiving end of MPs.

How are civilians allowed to restrict access to military installations? Must be a Canada thing because I can't imagine people blocking access to Nellis AFB without being on the receiving end of MPs.
Give it time, you might see it in Canada if these kids of situations keep arising.

We all have to go back to working together eventually, and I think the Comd's Intent on this one is to try and maintain cordiality as long as possible. If the Union's escalate... Well....

Do the living-in members now not allowed off/on base have heat and hot water?

"Completely closing down" or setting up a picket line?

When the civilian employees of the OPP were still with OPSEU, our buildings were picketed during a strike. It was actually quite collegial; we would be delayed in 5-10 minute blocks, chat with people we mostly knew, etc. Frustrating, but you eventually got to work. Then the union brought in strikers from other locals.

When strikers picketed Emergency Services HQ, our chiefs made a point of going out and listening to them. They even brought them food, and non-alcoholic beverages.
And invited them inside to rest, use the facilities, warm up, cool down etc.

We on Operations appreciated seeing that, because these were people we knew.

I think it did a lot for morale. Especially when they returned to work.

I think the chiefs understood the unspoken truth about support staff: Do not fu%# with them.

The Canadian Tax Payers federation has stated the average PSAC employee earns $125,000. Not sure I can sympathize with them.

Back