• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

St Jean Photo's (dial up warning)

Nfld_Sapper said:
Well the old two piece combat glove is alot better than the POS Cadpat ones we have now. Considering that the new ones, we can't do f**** all with.

I was by no means saying that the new CADPAT glove is better. Myself, I use the mortar gloves more often than not. The point I was trying to get across is that recruits are getting brand-new weapons but the gloves remain the same.

Quag said:
Except if you wear just the leather outer it turns ur hands black from the leather inside.  ;D

In my six plus years in, never had that problem with those gloves. So it sounds like a personal problem there  ;D

punkd said:
Plus once your issued your weapon you are facing possible charges as well as going down and asking the MP's for your rifle back.

MPs? Don't they still just take them down to the green desk, put them in the lockup, and make you sign for them (thus recording your infraction)?

Quag said:
In St. Jean, the bolts are locked up.  The only time you get them are in the field and during weapons classes. 

(Sometimes I feel safer that way,  as you don't know everyone very well and considering there was a suicide on my IAP, and one good scare).

That's assuming they got ahold of ammunition too - not an easy feat until your range day and I would suspect most people would crack before that point.

Did you do your IAP last summer? If so, I think I witnessed the suicide you're referring to - I was on my BOTC at the time. Nasty stuff.

Nfld_Sapper said:
In my six plus years in, never had that problem with those gloves. So it sounds like a personal problem there  ;D

I had the problem too... maybe our sweat is special. ;D

Glorified Ape said:
Did you do your IAP last summer? If so, I think I witnessed the suicide you're referring to - I was on my BOTC at the time. Nasty stuff.
Yes it was.  Without getting disrespectful, the young gentleman was deceased right below my window.  Was not a nice sight during the first week of IAP.
Glorified Ape said:
I had the problem too... maybe our sweat is special. ;D
Perhaps it was just the particular batch of gloves we were issued. :-\ ;D

Quag said:
Yes it was.  Without getting disrespectful, the young gentleman was deceased right below my window.  Was not a nice sight during the first week of IAP.

Yes, it certainly was not.

Perhaps it was just the particular batch of gloves we were issued. :-\ ;D

What? Non-uniformity?!

I was there for the suicide too.  My buddy was working the green desk when their CPC called down to get MP's up there.  It was a crazy night.  And most people do crack before the 3rd week usually.  We had a guy on my platoon sneak a knife out of his civies.  The night we got our kit, he spazed and threatened to kill us all.  A couple of guys got a hold of him though.  Funny what a little bit of stress does to some people.

I remember getting my bed flipped atleast a dozen times before I finally got it perfect and ready for inspection. Too tell you all the truth though the best time I have had so far in the military is as a recruit at St Jean, sure its tough but the type of brotherhood that is formed during basic can't be beat, and you'll have ton's of stories to tell afterwards.

those pics are pretty good, but i can't help but say that i wish i had your instructors during basic. you say you just finished week 6 and, with all due respect, your bed layout folding and your bed for that matter look like crap. if i had folding like that going through basic my room would've been tossed during inspection. hehe oh well whatever.

make sure you bring a camera to farnham when you go, you'll want to have one. some advice: sleep with your clothes on, keep your webbing and rile within reach at all times because when you hear "STAND TO!" you gotta move, but i'm sure when they let off an arti sim right behind your tent at 0200 you'll get the hint.

cheers.

bluecollared said:
sleep with your clothes on, keep your webbing and rile within reach at all times because when you hear "STAND TO!" you gotta move, but i'm sure when they let off an arti sim right behind your tent at 0200 you'll get the hint.

Never sleep with your clothes on. They get damp from sweat and you get cold in the morning. During my BMQ I kept my pants around my ankles (while sleeping :p) and my boots close at hand. I'm sure you've been lectured about this before.

In the field portion of my SQ, I stripped down to Gitch to sleep, If I didn't get sleep in Trench. Remember running to Stand-to in the trench with bucket and webbing on, and clothes and boots under the other

Basically, just keep clothes in a place close at hand.

Out in farnham when we got a fire alarm at 3:30 all I did was get my boots on along with my rifle and helmet, and a ginch on. That was it.

PS: You might hate St Jean while your there, but you'll be missing it once you spend some time in PRETC, or even your QL3's. Enjoy it while your there, and have a great time.

People, when it comes to any incident involving the death of someone, whether it happens on EX, Ops, or training, be very careful about what you are saying. I ask you to please stay in your lanes, especially on such an issue. Only speak about what you, personally know. Do not speculate.

For the record, last years death at the Mega was not classified as a suicide by either the coroner's office or the MP's.

Any questions regarding this can be pm'd directly to me, or come see me in Otter Sqn.

In St. Jean, the bolts are locked up.  The only time you get them are in the field and during weapons classes.

(Sometimes I feel safer that way,  as you don't know everyone very well and considering there was a suicide on my IAP, and one good scare).

On our Reserve BMQ, we got our bolts the day we got our C7's.  The only time we took them out was when we went to sleep, at which point we had to secure them in the barrack box with the mags (and whatever you do, do not keep your mags in your webbing at night thinking that this is secure), and keep the rifles in our sleeping bags with us.

The only time we brought them back for lock up was when we went home.

Back