• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Spigot for plastic NATO jerry can?

Allan,

You can rig a spigot up real easy, but the way we did it does damage the jerry can. On our MRT's (sorry, mobile repair team, a vehicle carrying a tool box, lots of different ones) there is (almost) always a bracket to stand up a jerry can in. This is usually in a very inconvenient place. The only time we ever moved that particular can around was to fill it, so there was no danger of snapping our little mod off.

What we would do, is drill a small hole in the side of the can, near the bottom, and place a small on/off spigot of some kind (brass work best in my experience). The hole is just large enough so you can still kind of thread in the spigot, seal the sucker up with some kind of epoxy (that yellow stuff for plumbing works really well), attach a two foot long piece of largish fuel line/vacuum hose to the spigot and Bob's your uncle, a handy dandy hand washing/cup filling station. Of course I have no pictures of said engineering genius, but  I will ask around if anyone has one in the background maybe. I'll have a look through my pics again as well.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to post pictoral evidence of the destruction of DND property. Never know what sort of fun-police may be watching. And if said pic had CFR's or other easily-identifying markings in it, somebody could end up getting pooped upon.

Now, if those pictures were not, in fact, pics of a DND jerry can, but rather a personally owned jerry can, bought on the open market, why that would be an entirely different story.

;D

But of course, I meant to say that no self respecting vehicle tech would ever even DREAM of modifying..umm...damaging any crown property, especially that which I signed and was responsible for. It would have to have been on a ....... fishing trip..... at ....... Ghost River.... or something similar (I travel so much it is hard to keep it straight) that one of the guys said "Hey, look what I just figured out!" as EME types are known to do once and awhile.

Good point, pc.

Spigots don't work well with rigid single cap jerry cans. The issue is a way to get air back in so you don't get poor flow and burping as pressure inside gets so low as to suck air in through the hole. If you open the air cap it will just leak in the same way. I supposed you could rig up some long rigid air return hose that reaches the top of the can but such a spigot and rigid hose would be prone to damage.

A rigid can with a spigot usually has an additional cap at the other side of the top like this.

I talked with the Canadian jerry can manufacturer, and they said they investigated offering a spigot, but didn't think there would be enough demand to justify it. See attached photo for their prototype.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Allan.

Back