• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Operations Regiment welcomes new members

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/webapp/sitepages/printable.asp?paper=www.thedailyobserver.ca&contentid=649311&annewspapername=Pembroke+Daily+Observer

Printed from www.thedailyobserver.ca web site Sunday, August 12, 2007 -  © 2007  Pembroke Daily Observer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Operations Regiment welcomes new members

STEPHEN UHLER

Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 07:00

Local News - Canada's latest weapon in the battle against terror looks to the past for inspiration as it prepares to tackle the future.

On Friday, the Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR) welcomed 27 new members of the unit, on a day which marked two anniversaries, the first year of the new special forces group and the 65th anniversary of the famed Devil's Brigade, the first special service force.

The joint U.S.-Canadian unit achieved legendary status for its activities against the Nazi forces in the Second World War. Being both highly trained and skilled, it represented the best of what both nations had to offer.

To recognize its predecessor, the CSOR invited a contingent of Devil's Brigade veterans to witness graduation ceremonies, which took place at the training area of CFB Petawawa.

Before a large crowd of family, friends, VIPs and supporters, members of the CSOR, along with their U.S. special forces brethren, demonstrated their skills as soldiers, including parachuting, rappelling from helicopters and repelling a mock assault with the application of .50 calibre machine guns and a well-timed air strike, courtesy of a pair of CF-18 Hornets from CFB Bagotville in Quebec.

The highlight of the day was when the 27 new members were officially welcomed into the special forces family by the Devil's Brigade veterans, who each presented the soldiers with a special coin traditionally handed out at this time.

Lt.-Col. Jamie Hammond, the CSOR's commander, said the regiment looks to the veterans of the 1 SSF for inspiration.

"You've heard a lot about their exploits," he said, addressing those assembled, describing them as legendary.

"They inspire every one of us today," and share a common bond in the sense both organizations are committed to excellence.

Lt.-Col. Hammond said it is these qualities within the original special forces of commitment, dedication, drive and elan they at CSOR are trying to replicate within their own unit, as they carry the legacy of 1 SSF forward.

One of the graduates, Eric - for security reasons CSOR members are identified by first name only - said he joined the unit to challenge himself. The captain said it is a pretty demanding life both physically and mentally, but it is one he wants to pursue.

"One of my goals in life is to do my share for my country," he said, which will lead him to Afghanistan, since Canada is committed there. The presence of the Devil's Brigade veterans made this day all the more special for the soldiers graduating, Eric said.

"It's a proud moment to see these guys come out," he said, and hand out the special forces coins to the new members as a way of welcoming the unit's contribution to the legacy started years before.

"You could see it in their eyes, they are really proud of us."

suhler@thedailyobserver.ca

I was at the Grad parade, and I can say that it was a great show.  They even had the radio communications between the Ground and Air on the loudspeaker as the Hornets did their bombing missions.  Congrats to those that graduated!

Okay...I'm definately touching a tangent here so please forgive me in advance. 
I've been told that CSOR, at the moment is no longer accepting applicants from the combat arms.  I understand the reasoning being that cbt arms are needed more in 'Ghan than in spec ops at the moment. 
my question is this...  I should be a qualified Infanteer on Dec 14th '07 barring any injuries, bad luck, etc, and I know that I couldn't possibly remuster to CSOR for a minimum of two years (I believe).  I've been hoping/wondering if the recruiting situation might change within the next year or two, given the possible/probable down scaling of ops in Afghanistan starting '09.  Any light to be shed on this would be highly appreciated.
Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread...now back to our regular programming. ;D

downscaling will commence when it commences, not before.
CSOR needs time to train it's new soldiers & they will send out a call for vounteers when they are good and ready.
In the meantime, do the best that you can to be the best possible soldier in your unit.  You'll still need your COs recommendation.

Luckystrike

First off graduate Battle school first and get an idea of what you may or may not want in your career, remember lots of things look cool and sound cool but in reality are lot more hard work and misery then ever being cool. You are going to get a glimpse of that real soon I imagine.

As for not recruiting Cbt Arm's that has since been changed by the CDS in a recent CANFORGEN. Also the reason for the original message was more to do the the CLS and not CSOR who are indeed looking very much for combat arms members willing to try out for that unit. The next selections will take place shortly and will have Cbt Arms members in the the stream.

luckystrike said:
I should be a qualified Infanteer on Dec 14th '07 barring any injuries, bad luck, etc, and I know that I couldn't possibly remuster to CSOR for a minimum of two years (I believe). 

First, I am not/was not previously an Infanteer but I am sure those that are will agree with this when I say that, although you might be qualified on Dec 14th of this year, you are not nearly trained enough at this point.  Make sense?  

And...there are most likely LOTS of troops that are already MCpls, Cpl's, etc in the Inf Bn's that are were also restricted from applying to CSOR at this time, who have tons of TI and opertional experience that are also waiting to apply...they have already done time in Bn, which is where you will go first.

Next SOBQ will begin 29 October, and rest assured there will definitely be combat arms personnel on the course.

Hey guys thanks for the replies!
Geo, I hear what you're saying believe me!  I know I am only basically qualified.  However, even through my short three months (hardly a stint let alone a career) in the army I have realized that work here is about 95% mandatory duties, prep for ops/ex/class, cleaning, hard work etc and like 5% "cool stuff", and I'm sure that spec ops will be about 1000 times harder than BMQ lol the thought of comparing them is actually hilarious, so I believe I may have a slight understanding of what I'd be getting into...SLIGHT I don't want to come off as some cocky recruit that thinks because he graduated basic he's got the CF by the balls, honestly I wouldn't disrespect my DS staff  by claiming so!
As far as a recommendation from your CO, is it possible to remuster before the two year service quota with a good recommendation from your CO and additional courses like para/recce that are applicable to spec forces??
Not trying to beat a dead horse here just mulling around some general thoughts.
cheers

Criteria is still 2 years Reg Force or 3 Reserve Force. The courses you mentioned may help a file, but psych testing and interviews are bigger derterminants.

LS,
If you apply, you get a fantastic reccommendation & they take ya: congratulations
BUT
Don,t hold your breath, there are many good soldiers also waiting for their chance.
You'll get your chance to shine... once you have some experience and maturity.

As it was mentioned before I to got to attend then Grad parade and it was quite the show. I saw them doing parts of the course around Pet and it looked mighty hard. Congrats to them all.

It appears that there is still time to apply for the course starting in November. Although the CANFORGEN notes 15 September as the deadline, word from their recruting cell says they will accept right up to the last minute, and only restrictions are those who are specifically tagged for deployment from now to TF 1-09 (from the army anyway). 

As far as a recommendation from your CO, is it possible to remuster before the two year service quota with a good recommendation from your CO and additional courses like para/recce that are applicable to spec forces??

During a recruiting brief in Petawawa yesterday, Lt-Col Hammond said that applicants with less then the required years previous service may be considred for the SOBQ - depending on individual circumstances: i.e. MOC, qualifications, tours, CO's recommendation, ect.

I don't have a CANFORGEN to prove this, but I would not use the words "Lt-Col Hammond said" unless I heard it directly from him and with my own ears.

Roger your last.  That is what I heard as well.  Especially if you will meet the time requirements before the end of course or very soon after.

Back