• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SPAM / PHISHING email rec'd

Manimal

Inactive
Reaction score
got this email tonight. . .
don't know if it was sent with permission from the site or not. but they got my address from it.
i don't care that i rec'd the email, just thought you might want to know if they hacked your info.
--------------------------------------

Dearest One
I am Mrs serroy john an Sierra Leon nationality and a member of forum.army.ca I am married to late Mr Emmanuel john, who worked with Sierra Leon  Embassy in Ivory Coast for 9 years before he died in the year 2005 after a brief illness that  lasted for only five days. We were married for Eighteen years with a daughter (Lilian)who later died in a motor accident.
Before the untimely death of my husband, we were both born again Christians. Since after his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against. When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of US$3.5 M ( Three Million, Five hundred Thousand United States Dollars) in a General Trust Account with a prime bank in Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire. Presently, this money is still with the bank.
Recently, following my ill health, my Doctor told me  that I may not last for the next six months due to  my cancer ailment. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to a  Christain organization (Church) or individual that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct herein, according to the desire of my late husband before his death.
I want this fund to be used in Christain Activities  like, Orphanages, Christain schools, and Churches for propagating  the word of God and to endeavour that the house of God  is maintained. The Bible made us to understand that "Blessed is the hand that giveth". I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband's relatives are not Christians and I don't want my husband's efforts to be used by unbelievers. I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way. This is why I am taking this decision.
I am not afraid of death  hence I know  where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my battle and I shall hold my peace". I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health hence the presence of my husband's relatives around me always. I don't want them to know about this development. With God all things are possible.
As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the bank in Abidjan. I will also issue you  the documents that will prove you as the present  beneficiary of this fund. I want you and the Church to always pray for me  because the lord is my shephard. My happiness is that  I lived a life as a worthy Christian. Whoever wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth.

Please always be prayerful all through your  life. Any delay in your reply will give me room in searching another church for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein. Hoping to receive your reply.
Remain blessed in the Lord.
Yours in Christ,
Mrs Sandra Dickson

----------------------------------------

Manimal said:
got this email tonight. . .
don't know if it was sent with permission from the site or not. but they got my address from it.
i don't care that i rec'd the email, just thought you might want to know if they hacked your info.
I notice you do not have your email hidden in your profile, so the address would be available to anyone with an account.  If anyone with a hidden email address has received this, please let the site owner know.

I got one too. Unfortunately it's just spammers harvesting addresses and firing them out en masse. Sometimes they use little tricks, like inserting the hostname of the site they picked up the address from, to make it seem more legit.

Luckily, it's no more nefarious than that, but it is still annoying.

I also received this email. Guess I better delete my email address from my profile!

ei.evans said:
I also received this email. Guess I better delete my email address from my profile!

You must have a valid email address to access your .ca account.

Just go to:

"Profile,"
"Account Related Settings,"
Check "Hide email address from public,"
Scroll down and enter your password,
Click "Change Profile."

Then you should be good to go.

Regarding the hidden email thing, I have mine set as hidden but when I look at my profile, I can see it.  Is that normal?  ???

PMedMoe said:
Regarding the hidden email thing, I have mine set as hidden but when I look at my profile, I can see it.  Is that normal?  ???
You can see your own, but others cannot  ;)

Thanks, Mike, that's what I thought, just wanted to be sure.  ;)

Mike Bobbitt said:
All,

In a recent upgrade to the forums, the way hidden e-mail addresses are displayed changed slightly.

Please note that hidden e-mail addresses are, and have always been hidden from public view.

The change is that previously, if you had elected to hide your e-mail address, it was not shown at all when you viewed your own profile. After the upgrade, hidden e-mail addresses were displayed to the profile owner, but in italics. If your address appears in your profile in italics, it is hidden from other users. (You can log out and view your profile or your posts to verify this.)

Hopefully this clears up any confusion.

Cheers
Mike

I've received 4 "dearest one" from "Sandra Dickson" <sand.dickson18@yahoo.fr> today.
Reply adress is : sand_dickson1@yahoo.fr .

I'm glad none of you are taking advantage of this offer.  It leaves more for me !!!!!

;)

Just think what $3.5 mill would do for Mike's server upgrade budget!!

I tell ya, just how stupid do these Nigerian scammers think we really are???

Laughing til I piss my pants,

Wes

They think we're pretty stupid, Wes because people still send them money. You know what P. T. Barnum said: "There's a sucker born every minute."

I received one of these emails yesterdy and just deleted it. I never thought to check my email status on this site. Thanks for posting about it.

I've send that 'long' answer :
I'm agnostic, so I've stop readng at : we were both
born again Christians.
and I received that one  :

My dear in christ jesus
Calvary greetings and thank you for your prompt response and concerns . I am happy that you are a Christian hence God knows why he directed this project unto you . I believe that you will make judicious use of this fund to what I did outline in my previous mail to you based on the contents of your mail herein .
I have taken this decision because it was the wish of my late husband and for the fact that my late husband brothers are taking care of my treatment and otherwise , so I have to sow this seed and which may eventually brings miraculous healing and otherwise to me .
I want you therefore to promise me again that you will make good use of this fund to what I did outline so that I will submit your name and contact details to the bank for official introduction as the new beneficiary of the fund by tomorrow being Monday  . I will also send you the contact of the bank so that you can relate with them directly and advise them where necessary . I will tell the bank about you as my overseas partner/relative (hence they are aware of my intentions) while I pray to God to give you the grace and strength to continue his work and do send me your phone and fax numbers for easy communication by the bank .
Thank you and Gods continued blessings while I look forward to reading from you again and request you put me in your daily prayers as you promised herein .
Yours in christ,
Sister Serroy John
Avenue 4 Marcory residential
14 bp 211 Abidjan 14

Mike Bobbitt said:
I got one too. Unfortunately it's just spammers harvesting addresses and firing them out en masse. Sometimes they use little tricks, like inserting the hostname of the site they picked up the address from, to make it seem more legit.  Luckily, it's no more nefarious than that, but it is still annoying. 

Really?  The security types here classify this type of mail as a method of fraud, getting suckers to front up to $10,000, then dissapearing with the cash. 

Of course, it's fruad as well, but from a technical perspective they haven't done anything interesting.

Here's one from Edwin Kwaussi. Obviously a fraud, these scams seem to be a cottage industry in west Africa.
From  Edwin  Kwaussi
Avenue 5 Lot 172 Cocody Quarters
Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire
Good day Dear One,

Greetings and How are you today,I am Edwin  Kwaussi I am member of forums.army.ca I would like you to permit me to apply through this medium for your co-operation and  to secure an opportunity to invest and do joint relationship and business with you in your country.
I have a substantial capital I honourably Inherited from my late father late Chief  Marcel    Kwaussi who deal in Cocao-coffee platation and share from family Gold, diamond Minining site.The Epmgigo rebels killed Him recently in poltical crisis in our country that have resulted to war since thi s past two years.

I intend to invest this money in profitable areas in your country into a very lucratives business venture of which you are to advise and execute the said venture over there for the mutual benefits of both of us .Most especially is for you to help me com e over to your base if possible for You be able co-operate with me to become my business partner in your country and create ideas on how  money will be invested, properlymanaged and the type of investment after the money  is transferred to your custody with your assistance.
I inherited this sum from my late father  whom the rebels killed because he was not supporting their selfish intrest to topple the president Gbagbo the present president.Meanwhile, on indication of your willingness to handle this transaction sincerely by protecting my Interests and upon your acceptance of this proposal.I would  furnish you with the full detailed information, procedure, amount involve is below and we shall  mutually agree on your percentage interest or share holding for helping me to secure the release of the deposit and investing the fund into a lucratives profitable venture in your care.It is The sum of  Eight  Million,Five Hundred Thousand USD $8.500. 000USD I shall be glad to reserve this respect and opportunity for you, if you so desire, but do urge you to give the matter your immediate attention it deserves.
I want you to be rest assured that everything is in order and legitimate it was due to the politicalcrisis in our country that have resulted to war which cause everybody to find a way to get out the country,that make's me to use this medium to request for your assistance hoping that you will not let me down. This money is legitimately acquired by my late father from sales of cocoa-coffee and diamond dealings.
Looking forward to your prompt response
Thanks and God bless
Edwin  Kwaussi
Avenue 5 Lot 172 Cocody Quarters
Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire

Back